Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Table Food at 7 months

My little girl is 7 months with 1 tooth and she's getting to the point that she does not want baby food or her bottleexcept for at night she really only falls asleep with a paci for a nap. The problem is that I'm not sure what to give her. She likes cookies like ores or the generic white ores. But I don't like giving those to her very often because of the sugar for her teeth and health. We give her crackersRitz, saltine with very little salt, club crackers, cinnamin Graham crackers but i don't feel they have very much nutrition. She also eats everything soft that we eat. But I worry she's not getting enough nutrients with not wanting her bottle much or baby foods. Any advice on any other foods that you think would be good for a baby with only 1 tooth?

Re: Table Food at 7 months

• I'm totally not a food nazi but at 7 months, Oreos aren't a good choice.  IMO they shouldn't be a choice at all when there are SO many things your LO can have that are nutritious.  PP gave you great ideas about fruits and veggies.  Your LO can have shredded chicken, tiny bits of beef/hamburger, pork, strips of toast, cottage cheese, shredded cheese.  There are TONS of choices that are healthier (and easier to eat, frankly) than a cookie.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imagetheresat858:
    Fruits, either that are naturally soft banana, peach or steamed to be soft and cut in pieces apple, pear....cut grapes to avoid them being a choking hazard.nbsp; Vegetables steamed to softness; carrots, green beans, bell peppers or avocado just cut into strips.nbsp; Eggs scrambled, either just the yolks or whole egg.nbsp; Whole milk greek yogurt, mixed with fresh fruit for flavor. I wouldn't give your child oreos....or other cookies...and try to expand beyond carbs.

Exactly this, plus boiled chicken pulled into little pieces, small pieces of ground beef or turkey, sweet potatoes cut into strip and baked, toast with the crust cut off with a little butter or applesauce spread on top, noodles cooked soft, small pieces of cheese... There are a lot of options. If you need finger foods for on the go freeze dried fruit us a good option. Get the kind with no sugar added and make sure it's freeze dried not dehydrated. My almost nine month old likes berries, pineapple, and mango and all of those are soft enough for him to chew. We buy the Archer farms brand from target in the snack food section.

Try to stay away from cookies and crackers if you can. You're right, they don't really have much nutritional value. I think crackers as a snack are ok but not as a meal. At this age babies like to try new things. Don't be afraid to experiment and if your LO doesn't like something then try something else. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We give DD a lot of what we eat, with the exception of choking hazards (uncut grapes, raw apple, nuts etc) and food with a lot of sugar or salt.  Babies kidneys are very delicate and they cannot process those kinds of food easily.  Like PPs said, I'd stay away from cookies altogether until your LO is much older.  I'm not opposed to some junk food in moderation when DD is older, but their bodies can't handle it well yet.

Things DD loves are apple shredded with a cheese grater(not chunks because they can choke), shredded cheese, plain yogurt (you want the high fat content here...not low fat.  Fat in healthy, natural food like cheese and yogurt is good because it promotes brain development) mashed avocado, soft fruits like soft pear and banana. 

Toast strips (you can cut the crust off) with mashed banana or mashed avocado is great.  DD also loves french toast strips (yolk only in case of egg white allergy) cut the piece of bread into thirds when after cooking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your baby needs to still get mostly milk as her nutrition. Push the bottle. Solids you can try are fruits and veggies, then meats, cheese, toast, etc. Not oreos. I can't think of a more nutritionally void thing you could give your growing child.
  • Are you pulling our leg?????

Your baby doesnt want baby food or the bottle, but will only eat orios.  You failed to mention and sort of fruit or vegtable on this post, like how to get LO to eat these healthy options.  But you mentioned ritz and saltine crackers. 

Do you steam the oreos?  how do they even swallow them so hard. 

I read your other posts because i didnt think this was a legit post.  And I must comment they are post about serious issues that almost seem to be made up.  Now if they are not then Im sorry, but if you are making up things i think you need some thing else to do.

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Babies should not fall asleep with a bottle. Feed, then put down to sleep.  

Oreos? Seriously?  Crackers aren't much better. 

Babies can technically get all their nutrients from breastmilk or formula for the 1st year of life. Perhaps if she doesn't want a bottle, she would take it out of a sippy?  

• I do not give her the oreos her grandfather does. and I do not allow it more than a couple times a week. most of the time I take them away. the crackers are a snack not a meal. at christmas I tried to give her a small piece of turkey but when she had one of her incidents where the food touched the back of her throat she gagged. Before her father dug it out she had worked it back to her front and was starting to work on it again. When he pulled it out it was mostly mush. I want to try new things but my family including her father dont want me to. just wanted some advice for things to try. got some good ideas thank you. and she doesnt quite grasp the sippy cup idea yet. we have been giving her the cup with water and try to give it to her. she will take a sip then pull away. though she is getting closer to figuring it out.
  • imageblueeyedmommy93:
    I do not give her the oreos her grandfather does. and I do not allow it more than a couple times a week. most of the time I take them away. the crackers are a snack not a meal. at christmas I tried to give her a small piece of turkey but when she had one of her incidents where the food touched the back of her throat she gagged. Before her father dug it out she had worked it back to her front and was starting to work on it again. When he pulled it out it was mostly mush. I want to try new things but my family including her father dont want me to. just wanted some advice for things to try. got some good ideas thank you. and she doesnt quite grasp the sippy cup idea yet. we have been giving her the cup with water and try to give it to her. she will take a sip then pull away. though she is getting closer to figuring it out.

Gagging is not choking.  Babies' gag reflexes are much more forward on their tongue than they are for us.  It's their built in safety switch, so to speak, so that they realize they've got too much/too big a piece in there and it's how they learn their limits.  They can usually work that piece of food back up into their mouth without someone digging it out.  You should do some research on finger foods and have your husband read it too.  And seriously, if she can eat a GD Oreo, she can eat a lot of other things. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageblueeyedmommy93:
    I do not give her the oreos her grandfather does. and I do not allow it more than a couple times a week. most of the time I take them away. the crackers are a snack not a meal. at christmas I tried to give her a small piece of turkey but when she had one of her incidents where the food touched the back of her throat she gagged. Before her father dug it out she had worked it back to her front and was starting to work on it again. When he pulled it out it was mostly mush. I want to try new things but my family including her father dont want me to. just wanted some advice for things to try. got some good ideas thank you. and she doesnt quite grasp the sippy cup idea yet. we have been giving her the cup with water and try to give it to her. she will take a sip then pull away. though she is getting closer to figuring it out.

Well, you are her mother. Tell them no cookies for a growing baby. Crackers aren't a good food either. Fruit and vegetables. Healthy, nutritious foods.

• Is this for real?

On the off chance that it is, you need to be giving your baby food, not crap. Think fruits and vegetables, not cookies. Anything soft can be mashed with her jaws. FFS.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"