September 2012 Moms

XP: Lipase

XP from BF

After defrosting and subsequently throwing away 12 oz of BM this evening, I believe I have excess lipase. Is it possible that only some of my milk is affected? I was defrosting October milk and the 6th, 7th, and 10th was bad but the 8th was ok? I also read it could be due to fish oil, which I have been taking on and off since LO's birth. Also, I have kept fresh milk in the fridge up to 5 days and it has smelled fresh...it's only the frozen milk that has been a problem, does this still sound like lipase? Or a storage issue?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Lipase

• I'm not sure if it can only affect some milk... but have you tried to see if your LO will take it? I have the same problem, and didn't realize until I had frozen 150+oz. of BM. So I tested it with her, and she takes it just fine. So my now 350 frozen ounces will not be wasted. Hopefully you can have the same result!
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Babe drank one ounce then wouldn't have it. I tasted it and threw up in my mouth. I'm freaking out that most of my 200+ oz stash is ruined..I don't know if I should just scald the milk from now on. Thank you, Kellers!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It does sound like a lipase issue. I would try scalding future milk because it can't hurt to try and beats the alternative of not trying and your baby refusing the thawed milk.
  • imagediskogurl:
    Babe drank one ounce then wouldn't have it. I tasted it and threw up in my mouth. I'm freaking out that most of my 200 oz stash is ruined..I don't know if I should just scald the milk from now on. Thank you, Kellers!

I did, too... it tasted like metal. But we tried making it even warmer than normal [she already takes a HOT bottle] and it worked... GL!
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • I have high lipase and I am scalding daily. My boys took the milk just fine but it made me nauseous just smelling it, so it just seemed not fair. Scalding has worked fine.

As to why only some milk is affected, maybe it is the point of when it was frozen? My milk gets funky after 24 hours, which is also when I used to freeze I EP and am usually a day ahead of them. So when I pump and freeze right away the milk is just fine for a months or 6 weeks. If I wait longer, it sours after about 2 weeks it seems. So now it gets scalded and then I make bottles and freeze.

If your baby refuses the milk, hold on to it for starting solids...often they will take it mixed with cereal or fruit after all.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"