Multiples

accomplishment and question about bfing twins.

I was finally able to nurse on my left hand side! My left nipple does not stick out as far as my right side so its been a battle. With DD my nipples were inverted and there was nothing I could do to get them out to nurse her :(.  So I had to pump.  I was very happy when my nipples didn't play peek a boo this time around.   My milk on my left side was being dramatically affected by at least an ounce because i would pump for DS1 instead of BF. I made sure he had a good feeding so he wasn't "starving" for milk this time around. Then just kept shoving it in until he got the hang of it.  DS1 was my lazy nurser and feeding him in the beginning would take HOURS.  So I pumped to feed him.  He does very now that he is almost a month old and can now nurse and sleep at the same time.  DS2 does has always been a beast on the right hand side.  Since he was smaller I gave him the easier side.  It is kinda funny since he was the smaller of the two to watch him be so aggressive about feeding.  

Now to my question about bfing twins..

I see MoMs that actually feed both babies at once.  I tried this a few times and I found it to be overstimulating.  I can handle one baby on one boob.. but both seems to be to intense.  I have two boppies and set them football style.  My nipples have always been very sensitive.  So I am wondering if its just getting used to it.. or maybe a cream that will desensitize me?  It just feels really weird.  I would like to get them feeding at the same time at night.  It kills me for them to wake up back to back and never getting any sleep.  My husband is going back to work fulltime which means I will have to step up and have them with me most of the night instead of only during the day.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: accomplishment and question about bfing twins.

• I had that at the beginning as well, it was so uncomfortable, especially during the letdown. I found kind of scratching myself helped distract me from the feeling. Eventually it just went away, I don't remember when but after not too long, so you may just need to keep at it.I would be worried about a cream as it seems like the babies would get it on their mouths.Hang in there, you are doing a great job!!
  • I think I know what you are talking about, the letdown feeling, right? It's kind of funny, because I've tandem fed my boys for so long now, that the letdown feeling really only bothers me when I feed them one at a time, since it feels like my other breast is filling with no relief, hahaha.

I think it's something you just have to get used to, if you want to tandem, which is a HUGE timesaver. Maybe try to flip on the tv before you go to feed them, or come up with some way to kind of distract yourself until the letdown feeling passes? It will get easier/less intense the more you do it.

Hang in there, and way to go for getting your boy to latch on your left side!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I felt the same way until about 6 weeks. I would close my eyes tight and count until it stopped. After that, it just felt strange. Now at 8 weeks, no more nipple soreness or sensitivity.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagesrbmvp:

I think I know what you are talking about, the letdown feeling, right? It's kind of funny, because I've tandem fed my boys for so long now, that the letdown feeling really only bothers me when I feed them one at a time, since it feels like my other breast is filling with no relief, hahaha.

I think it's something you just have to get used to, if you want to tandem, which is a HUGE timesaver. Maybe try to flip on the tv before you go to feed them, or come up with some way to kind of distract yourself until the letdown feeling passes? It will get easier/less intense the more you do it.

Hang in there, and way to go for getting your boy to latch on your left side!!!

I think its just feeding two babies at once that feels weird. It could be the let down I don't know.   

• When I BFed, I almost always tandem fed; feedings took so long it just seemed impossible and impractical to try to feed them one at a time. Maybe just keep trying and see if that feeling wears off over time? Could you get one latched and eating and then get the other started a few mins later so it's not too much stimulation at once?
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • My girls never got the hang of bfing, so I pumped for the first month. I gave up when my supply started diminishing significantly. Anyway, I had the same feeling you're describing when I had the pump on both breasts. I kept saying to the nurses in the hospital that I just had this sensory issue with it. They didn't seem to know what I was talking about, so I'm glad to hear that others experienced the same thing. It was so bad that I would cry while I pumped. However, it did get MUCH easier. After about 3 weeks I really didn't mind it at all. It did help to watch tv and wear a nursing cover while I did it.
    eta: I also wished for some sort of "desensitizing cream" at the beginning, so I know exactly how you feel. Good luck.
  • if it is too much, can dh bottle feed one while you bf the other? We tried the whole letting dh sleep since he works but I literaly was on the verge of a nervous breakdown so now he gets up with me and we are all back to bed in 20 minutes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I BF both at the same time and for the first few weeks it hurt like hell every time they would latch on. Fortunately after a few minutes it was fine. I never tried with two boppies though, I have the My.breastfrie.nd twin pillow and it works great.

I will say - I much prefer feeding them one at a time. It's so much more comfortable and much more of a bonding experience but like you said, I would never sleep if I let them each wake on their own to feed. When one wakes up - the other one gets woken up to eat. 

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"