March 2013 Moms

Dieting

Is anyone else thinking about dieting because they are concerned about the weight gain thus far? I am thinking about cutting carbs - just taking a break and trying to lose a few pounds while being extra healthy before the baby comes.

Also - anyone know what they will be doing to get back in pre-pregnancy shape? I have a wedding in June and I am MOH so I want to look my best. 

Hope everyone had a great and relaxing holiday! 

Re: Dieting

• I'm not happy about the amount of weight I've gained either. I'm not really concerned about doing anything about it now (except maybe *trying* to eat healthier - more veggies, less cookies), but I'm planning on rejoining WW after this little guy arrives. I'm a lifetime member so it won't cost me anything and hopefully I can get back in the swing pretty quickly.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Honestly, I wouldn't think of it as dieting and trying to lose weight.  However, if you feel you are eating a lot of carbs, I would change what you eat.  Try to eat more protein, fruits, veggies, and nuts instead of carbs and sweets.  

As for pre-pregnancy weight, I plan on walking a lot with baby girl and eating healthy.  Combine that with nursing, I think I will be able to get back in a reasonable time. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • imagewatermellens:
    I'm not happy about the amount of weight I've gained either. I'm not really concerned about doing anything about it now (except maybe *trying* to eat healthier - more veggies, less cookies), but I'm planning on rejoining WW after this little guy arrives. I'm a lifetime member so it won't cost me anything and hopefully I can get back in the swing pretty quickly.

I'm also lifetime with WW. With If you are above your goal weight, you have to pay until you reach goal weight again. I plan to rejoin after DD is born.

I agree with PP, I wouldn't think of it as dieting, just watching what you eat. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm pretty much counting down the days until I can get back on Weight Watchers. I feel like I've gained a ton, and I'm having a hard time with eating because I'm just bottomless pit right now. I don't really want to restrict myself too much while pregnant, so I'm just trying to pick better foods.

It will be nice to feel back in control.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not dieting in terms of cutting calories, but dieting in terms of taking greater care in what I eat to control weight gain for the rest of pregnancy, and trying to do better about getting some light cardio in (walking, stationary bike, etc.)

As for post-partum, I already found a safe workout for those first few weeks and am considering purchasing some Lindsay Brin workout videos (she specializes in post-partum). If I don't do that, I do have the 30-Day Shred already on hand and find it very useful when combined with cardio, at least my own endurance levels sky rocket in a matter of weeks.

I was dieting before getting pregnant, so hope to get right back on track. Nursing doesn't do anything for me and weight loss, unfortunately. People say it melts the weight off, but that's only true for about 60-70% of women.

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Like pp said, dieting when you are pregnant doesn't sound like a good idea (although replacing cookies with veggies is a good thing, trying to make healthier food choices, etc.). This is my 3rd baby. I gained 46 lbs with #1 and 42 lbs with #2, and I am on track to gain about the same amount with #3. I eat mostly healthy (ok, yesterday SO does not count, right?). I  lost ALL of the weight and then some just by breastfeeding, being too busy with baby to snack because I was bored, and going for walks. (Breastfeeding is the real key. Babies are little calorie vacuums).

I think that by June you can expect to lose a good amount of baby weight naturally, but will probably still be 1-2 sizes bigger than pre-preg size. And expect clothes to fit differently, because even when all the baby weight is gone, your body will be shaped differently. I hope that you will give yourself some grace - don't overdo it with the dieting/exercise after your baby is born and have realistic expectations for yourself.

• imagemrsmcdonald:

imagewatermellens:
    I'm not happy about the amount of weight I've gained either. I'm not really concerned about doing anything about it now (except maybe *trying* to eat healthier - more veggies, less cookies), but I'm planning on rejoining WW after this little guy arrives. I'm a lifetime member so it won't cost me anything and hopefully I can get back in the swing pretty quickly.

I'm also lifetime with WW. With If you are above your goal weight, you have to pay until you reach goal weight again. I plan to rejoin after DD is born.

I think the rules are different after baby. At least they were for me at my meetings and last time when I had my son! (Thank goodness). I went back to WW in March 2011 when my DS was 3 months old and I did not have to pay even though I was above my goal weight. I've already asked them and they said the same thing this time around. Maybe the "rules" vary by state or meeting? 

My little man at 0-1-2

• imagewatermellens:
    imagemrsmcdonald:

imagewatermellens:

I think the rules are different after baby. At least they were for me at my meetings and last time when I had my son! (Thank goodness). I went back to WW in March 2011 when my DS was 3 months old and I did not have to pay even though I was above my goal weight. I've already asked them and they said the same thing this time around. Maybe the "rules" vary by state or meeting? 

It must be different - I worked at WW and never heard of that. I will definitely look into it. That would be awesome!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A few years ago, I wanted to lose a few pounds and used sparkpeople.com to keep track of my calorie intake and the calories lost through exercise.  It worked really well, and was free!  Apparently they also have a website for pregnant and breastfeeding people, https://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/.  It gives you some goals for what you should be eating and how you should be exercising, so it might help.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemrsmcdonald:
    imagewatermellens:
    imagemrsmcdonald:

imagewatermellens:

It must be different - I worked at WW and never heard of that. I will definitely look into it. That would be awesome!

dang - then you would know better than me! Maybe the ladies that work at my meeting are unclear on the rules...either way, I hope I don't have to pay! :)

My little man at 0-1-2

• I'm not thrilled with the weight gain thus far... But I figure I gained 40 pounds with DS1.. and lost it very fast... I attribute it to nursing... And hoping my body does the same for me this time.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• imagecbb722:

Is anyone else thinking about dieting because they are concerned about the weight gain thus far? I am thinking about cutting carbs - just taking a break and trying to lose a few pounds while being extra healthy before the baby comes.

Also - anyone know what they will be doing to get back in pre-pregnancy shape? I have a wedding in June and I am MOH so I want to look my best. 

Hope everyone had a great and relaxing holiday! 

I agree with all the previous posters. I wouldn't diet, but would just try to make healthier eating choices. I had started to get in shape and lose weight back in March as I didn't like seeing almost 170lbs on the scale and the healthy habits have (thankfully) carried over into my pregnancy. Of course, now I'm back up to that 170 with the weight gain (19.4 lbs as of 12/20) but the Doctor says that's right on schedule for me so nothing to worry about and of course my mom likes to remind me that she gained 95 lbs with me(!!!) so my goal is just to not gain that much. lol

Post-pregnancy I plan on walking a lot as I know my dog misses our longer walks which I just can't do out of discomfort now. I also have a workout DVD that I'll be using and a stationary bike as soon as it's delivered from my dad's house. If that still doesn't work I hope to be able to have the energy for something like TurboFire or Insanity when my husband comes home from Afghanistan this coming summer. 

• I'm not concerned about weight gain since I haven't gained anything really this pregnancy (still at my pre-preg weight) but I was steadily losing weight and toning up before getting pregnant and I can't wait to get back to that! I was doing so good about not over indulging and working out 3x/week up until about 22 weeks then my body got really mad at me and decided that I needed to relax more. I can't even walk on the treadmill without getting TONS of contractions (the fun part of having baby #3 so close to #2). After talking with my midwives they agreed I shouldn't go to the gym at all anymore and just try and do my normal activity level which is pretty active chasing after a 2 and 1 year old. 

I am hoping to start walking around 4 weeks post-partum and am hoping to get back to spinning and other intense cardio by 6 weeks pp. BF'ing doesnt help me lose weight but I am hoping that will be different this time? A girl can hope, right ;-) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageskyllingstadl:

I'm not concerned about weight gain since I haven't gained anything really this pregnancy (still at my pre-preg weight)

Wow! You haven't gained any weight this far along?!?! Is that common with 2nd/3rd/etc pregnancies?

I've a friend who is preggo with her first (she's due 2/26) and has only gained 7 lbs total and I thought that was shocking, but I was always told you HAD to gain weight for the baby to be healthy...  Dang doctors telling me fibs.... 

• I agree with previous posters...I wouldn't necessarily "diet" during pregnancy, but then again, I think that "diet" is a dirty word in general and think it's better to have a healthy, active lifestyle that allows indulgences from time to time in general. If you're just thinking about making healthier decisions with eating, though, and not restricting or anything crazy, then go for it.... I wouldn't say cutting carbs out completely, though.

I've gained more than I'm happy with (30 lbs at my 24 wk appt), but I was training for a marathon pre-pregnancy, and with the exception of a few weeks in 2nd tri, I've been too exhausted after work (to the point of in horrible pain) to work out, so I think it would be unrealistic for me to stick to the 35 lbs my OB recommended I gain, going from my previous activity level to my current one, and she completely agreed with me when I talked to her about it at my last appointment. I can't wait to be able to start running again after baby, and I'm hoping with that (and not being a bottomless pit that can never get full!), I'll be able to get back into pre-pregnancy shape.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Is your doctor concerned about your weight?  I dont think I'd be trying to LOSE weight while pregnant unless advised to do so by your doctor.  Most women arent HAPPY to be gaining weight while pregnant, but it is what it is.  As long as you are eating a sensible diet and staying active, you can worry about losing weight after the baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsArrants:
    imageskyllingstadl:

I'm not concerned about weight gain since I haven't gained anything really this pregnancy (still at my pre-preg weight)

Wow! You haven't gained any weight this far along?!?! Is that common with 2nd/3rd/etc pregnancies?

I've a friend who is preggo with her first (she's due 2/26) and has only gained 7 lbs total and I thought that was shocking, but I was always told you HAD to gain weight for the baby to be healthy...  Dang doctors telling me fibs.... 

haha I don't think it's typical but it is typical for me. I guess I am gaining weight but I don't consider it weight gain b/c the weight I've gained is  just to get me back to my pre-preg weight after all my 1st tri weight loss. I have had terrible morning sickness with all my pregnancies- with my 1st I lost about 20lbs and was 1lb below my pre-pg weight on my induction day. With #2 I lost about 10lbs and was only about 10lbs over my pre-pg weight (all weight was gained basically in 3rd tri) and this time I lost about 7-8lbs so I've gained that back but nothing above my pre-pg weight (which ironically has been the exact same with each pregnancy). I am guessing that I will gain about 1lb a week in the next 10 weeks or so to put me about 10lbs over my pre-pg weight at delivery for a 20lbs gain total (if you count what I gain back after the loss). 

I also am starting out a little bit bigger so there is never any concern when I'm not gaining since I know I am eating plenty and healthy foods. I think a lot of women eat healthier when pregnant which causes minimal weight gain- basically if they were eating that healthy not pregnant they would be losing but since the baby is adding weight (just the placenta, baby itself, amniotic fluid, increased blood, etc.) they end up gaining a small amount instead of losing weight if that makes sense?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That is totally me.  I'm eating super well and have only put on 5 pounds (I was bigger to begin with too).  Nobody has been concerned.
  • imagewittyschaffy:
    That is totally me.  I'm eating super well and have only put on 5 pounds (I was bigger to begin with too).  Nobody has been concerned.

completely me too. i lost about ten pounds during the first trimester and i am still about a pound or so under my pre-pregnancy weight. no one has been concerned. i have pcos so weight can be an issue for me, i have about 8 weeks to go before my scheduled c-section so i am hoping i don't gain much more than about 5 more pounds but we'll see :). i am also hoping that between breastfeeding and walking i will continue to get close to my goal weight.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would never try to actually lose weight while pregnant, I don't think that's considered healthy practice.  However, if you feel like you've gained too much (and your OB tells you this), then I don't see any harm in trying to eat healthy and cutting out junk food as to merely "slow" your weight gain.  My OB wants to see about a 1lb a week gain, and last month I gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks.  I cut out a lot of the junk I was eating and ate healthy and was able to keep it to a 5 lb weight gain over the month.  I wouldn't call that dieting though.

Edit: For post-baby weight loss I just got zumba fitness on wii so I plan on doing that, maybe even with DD (she loves to dance, she will do it for fun, not to lose weight haha), and BFing.  I don't plan on changing my diet.  With DD I ate everything I wanted to, and while EBF I lost all the baby weight within 2-4 weeks ( I can't remember exactly).  She was early and I only gained 23 lbs with her (and she was almost 6 of that) so it was easy to lose the weight for me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I seriously need to cut back on the CRAP. I will be doing that very soon. After baby, it's the pink diet for me!
  • imageoliversmom03:
    I seriously need to cut back on the CRAP. I will be doing that very soon. After baby, it's the pink diet for me!
    pink diet?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I lost 50 lbs before getting pregnant by changing my lifestyle - eating healthier to better care for myself (diabetic) and exercising. I've really fallen off the exercise bandwagon this pregnancy, but I plan on resuming when the baby is here, even if it's just putting her in a carrier and going for a walk every day. :) I haven't done too bad, I'm only 8 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight, although from the weight loss in the first trimester my total weight gain is closer to 15-20 lbs.

DH and I decided that when LO is a year and a half (October 2014), we're going to take our first family vacation and go on a Disney cruise, so my plan is to be fit enough to do the activities that I want and really be able to enjoy it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"