August 2013 Moms

Doc needs to see me

My doctor needs to see me and I cannot get off of work today because I have absolutely no sick time left until January 1st.

Apparently my Beta did not double.

And I am freaking out now. I went to the ER last Thursday and they did an US then. I was only showing barely 6 weeks and I should be 7 or more by now.

No fetal pole.

My BETA on Weds was 5000, my beta on Thursday night was 6300. I am not sure what it was on Friday morning but it definitely did not double.

*cry* I am so scared. I need to get to the doctor. My BP has been high and I have been having cramping. I am so afraid of miscarriage.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Doc needs to see me

• Can you go after work? Leave an hour early?  

image image

• Nope. If I leave work at all it is considered an incident and I will be written up and fired. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow that place sounds like it sucks. Have you told them you're pregnant? 

I'd call the doctor and talk to him, I wouldn't be able to wait for an appt.  it's supposed to double every 72 hours, not every day so as long as its climbing I wouldn't think its an issue.

image image

• From my experience most doctors don't even take more betas once they get that high, its normal for the doubling time to slow at that point.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm waiting on the results from the Friday visit for HCG draw.

I cant get into the doctors office until January 4th.

So now I have another week of worrying. :(  

• Why not call?
    image image

• I do not mean to be insensitive, but this seems like a really bad reason to not go to the doctor. You do not want to be in the situation where you were wishing that you had gone. If I was in this situation, I would tell my boss that it is an emergency and that I will bring a doctor's note. If I really thought I would get fired, I would tell HR (or your boss if there is no HR) that I am pregnant and the doctor is concerned.
  • @peanut+muse

I understand and I really want to go but my DH is out on workmans comp and I am just thinking about my current family.

They dont accept doctors notes. And it was really hard to get FMLA last time so it will be hard to get it this time too.

I pretty much called the doctor and made sure that I dont HAVE to be seen immediately. I am just still concerned though. Unfort. not even the doctors office has anything until January the 4th.

I just had an US last thursday that measured me way behind what I thought I was. But I don't think that is unheard of. I just pray everything will work out.  

• There is nothing they can do if they think you're having a miscarriage anyway. The only exception would be if they have reason to think that your progesterone is low, in which case you would just need a blood draw to check your levels. You wouldn't need a doctor visit for that.
  • The bottom line is if you are having a miscarriage, there's nothing that the doctor can do anyway.  Getting your betas checked can certainly provide you with information but it can't prevent anything, so ultimately, it is what it is.

Frankly I think your doctor is being a little excessive, but I don't know your history.  My doctor checks the betas once, then 2 days later or so and then a week later or so if you want.  Once the numbers are in the thousands, they really don't double anymore.  And they're not supposed to double every 24 hours, it's every 48-72.  I don't understand why he's doing so many bloodtests, honestly.

But irrespective if you can't go, you can't go.  Getting the blood test won't change anything if you are in fact having a miscarriage.  GL>

• imagebabyfoodtarget:

I pretty much called the doctor and made sure that I dont HAVE to be seen immediately. I am just still concerned though. Unfort. not even the doctors office has anything until January the 4th.

This whole thing is weird to me. Your doc says that he/she "needs" to see you, but then doesn't have an appt available until over a week later? Weird. Hopefully that means it's really not that much of an emergency.

As PPs have said, if you are having a m/c there is nothing that a doctor could do to prevent it anyway, unfortunately. I sincerely hope it's not that. GL & best wishes!

• Thank you everyone. Here's the timeline to help everyone... understand I guess. Dec. 12th, got a BFP still faint line though but def. positive. Dec. 14th had spotting, went to the doctor to get checked out. She said its too early to do an ultrasound and too early for doppler so she ordered beta testing. I couldnt get into the do the beta testing until the week after though due to a work conflict.

Dec. 19th, first Beta Test came back at 5000 range
    Dec. 20th, spotting again, husband was really concerned so we headed to the ER because I was having spotting and right sided throbbing pain. (All normal sometimes). ER ran Beta, their number was 6300. So it did go up! Ultrasound came back that I was just reaching 6 weeks and not 7 weeks as anticipated. Received diagnosis of threatened miscarriage.  And, told to follow up with ob-gyn. I already had a set apt for January 8th.
    Dec. 21, still went to do the beta test in the morning. Do not have the number for this yet waiting on the nurse to call back. She did call and leave a message this morning asking me to come in for an ultrasound. She didn't say why or anything. I have been trying to reach her all morning now.

This is why I am concerned. But I called the front office and asked them for an apt with that doctor. They said the soonest they could get me on a regular schedule without a nurses intervention (meaning they tell them I need to come in earlier) was on January 4th. They said they did not see any notes that I needed to come in immediately.

And you are right, if I am going to MC there's nothing I can do. I just truly wish this hypertension would go away.  

• imagebabyfoodtarget:

@peanut+muse

I understand and I really want to go but my DH is out on workmans comp and I am just thinking about my current family.

They dont accept doctors notes. And it was really hard to get FMLA last time so it will be hard to get it this time too.

I just had an US last thursday that measured me way behind what I thought I was. But I don't think that is unheard of. I just pray everything will work out.  

It is illegal to not accept your doctors note.

• I am so sorry you are going through this.

Honestly, I think you need to find a new job if this is how they treat you.

• imagebakes4u:
    imagebabyfoodtarget:

@peanut+muse

It is illegal to not accept your doctors note.

It is not if you sign the company policy that says it. :/ Gotta hate loopholes. Got to sign the policy to keep your job its part of "compliance".  

• Unfortunatley I was offered another job two days before I found out I was pregnant.

The benefits suck though. The pay is only .20 cents more an hour but it had guaranteed overtime.

If I wasn't pregnant I would've took it because I would have just got on my DH's health insurance.  

• imagebabyfoodtarget:

Unfortunatley I was offered another job two days before I found out I was pregnant.

The benefits suck though. The pay is only .20 cents more an hour but it had guaranteed overtime.

If I wasn't pregnant I would've took it because I would have just got on my DH's health insurance.  

Why can't you just go on your DH's insurance now anyways? Also I would question any company that has it written in their company policy that doctors notes are not allowed. You need to put a call in to the state's labor board and find exactly what is legal and what is not on that. It doesn't sound right to me. Also if you are planning on having kids it doesn't sound like this job would be a good one to have anyways when having children? Kids get sick daycares won't take them you would have to stay home in that case anyways.

• imagebakes4u:
    imagebabyfoodtarget:

Unfortunatley I was offered another job two days before I found out I was pregnant.

Why can't you just go on your DH's insurance now anyways? Also I would question any company that has it written in their company policy that doctors notes are not allowed. You need to put a call in to the state's labor board and find exactly what is legal and what is not on that. It doesn't sound right to me. Also if you are planning on having kids it doesn't sound like this job would be a good one to have anyways when having children? Kids get sick daycares won't take them you would have to stay home in that case anyways.

All of what Bakes said. Your job does not sound conducive to having children. Life happens and your job needs to understand, and in this case they don't seem like they do.

• I had the same situation with my daughter, I was told I was miscarrying, missed a bunch of work and got fired even tho I had doctors notes. I ended up getting unemployment for 1 1/2 years and have a healthy almost 3 year old. Document everything, best wishes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"