August 2013 Moms

Wayyyyy early

But the planner in me is coming out. I have been thinking of what we would need for the new baby. Not too much if its a girl but a few more things if its a boy. I know people will ask what we need so is it bad manners to do a registry even though its my second? I don't think it will be too necessary if it is a girl but definitely if its a boy.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Nezi again

Re: Wayyyyy early

• It's in bad taste to had a second shower, but not a registry. If nothing else, after the kid is born most places send you 10-15% off un-purchased registry items :)
    image image

• imageSoleil3:
    It's in bad taste to had a second shower, but not a registry. If nothing else, after the kid is born most places send you 1015 off unpurchased registry items :

This. I'm only a FTM, but I assume at least some people will want to buy for a second baby. I would register, so you have it in case anyone asks, and for the discount.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's what I was thinking. I didn't want to sound like an idiot when I tell them I registered.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Nezi again
  • My family gave me a shower for baby two and I assume will for this one but don't necessarily expect it. My group of friends throw mother blessings for each other for every pregnancy. I don't think it's a bad thing to celebrate each new pregnancy. The gifts aren't all that its about and the gifts become small and personal to the new babe. Register away!!!
  • I'll be making a registry more for my own organization and completion discount. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Why is it poor form to have a baby shower for #2, #3, etc? I've been to lots of showers for subsequent babies and never thought it was weird or tacky. Just curious. Sometimes babies are unplanned and you may not have everything, plus social events are fun! This is my second and my mom in law is going to throw me a baby shower. However, there will be almost ten years between my children. I honestly have zero baby items left.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• I had always been accustomed to it being "bad taste" for a shower for baby 2, but a lot of people I know have had them lately, and it's been no big deal.

I'll be registering, if we find we're having a girl.  With my DS, we registered for all our gear to be neutral in the hopes we'd have another.  If we're having a girl, I might register for some cute stuff, but we basically have all the gear I can think of needing right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You can have a registry but only give it if people ask for it.
  • No one that I know has a shower for baby #2, and I would find it extremely tacky if someone did. (There are some exceptions, like if it's a first child between a couple even if one of them already has a child.) But a registry is not tacky, as long as you don't offer the registry info unsolicited. 

• imageaessary03:
    Why is it poor form to have a baby shower for 2, 3, etc? I've been to lots of showers for subsequent babies and never thought it was weird or tacky. Just curious. Sometimes babies are unplanned and you may not have everything, plus social events are fun! This is my second and my mom in law is going to throw me a baby shower. However, there will be almost ten years between my children. I honestly have zero baby items left.

It's considered bad taste, I think, because its assumed that you have things for baby already. However, I believe large age gaps like yours are the exception to the rule, for exactly the reason you gave.
  • Often showers for second or third babies will be diaper and wipe showers. I will register for my own organization and completion codes. I will give it out only if someone asks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I gave my sister a baby sprinkle for her second. She had a boy and her second is a girl but I would have done it for another boy too! It was mostly her friends and our mom and grandma but so cute and fun. She needed a girl diaper bag, clothes and little things, I think that's what big sisters are for!
  • imageGraberjc:
    I gave my sister a baby sprinkle for her second. She had a boy and her second is a girl but I would have done it for another boy too! It was mostly her friends and our mom and grandma but so cute and fun. She needed a girl diaper bag, clothes and little things, I think that's what big sisters are for!

This!  We do sprinkles all of the time.  Just a few friends and family and little gifts. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I made an Amazon wish list for myself and will start buying things off of there soon. That's been super helpful! : )
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah, we do 'sprinkles' too for subsequent babies---diapers, wipes, and something nice for the mom, usually a massage. Why not? It's an excuse to be generous, get together and eat cake.
    DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • Quite frankly, 2nd and 3rd (and more showers) are rather tacky, and registries as a whole are tacky.  The point of a baby shower is for people to celebrate the blessing that is your upcoming (or already had) baby not for the mother or mother-to-be to be a present whore.  Prior to WWII baby showers were held AFTER the birth, so everyone could meet the baby and celebrate it's birth.  Which is the tradition my family still holds to.  Any subsequent "showers" to number one should be a baby welcoming party.  

Parties are not for you to get gifts.  Your guests should feel honored to be invited and be a part of this wonderful time in your life.  They are not there to be responsible for buying childcare items  for the child you chose to get pregnant with.   

I will have a Babies R Us registry, but only for my own use, discounts, VIB card, and completion discount.  If you have a registry, it's SUPER tacky to put it on the invitation.  That's basically commanding your guests to buy you a gift and to buy what you tell them to.  How RUDE! 

TTC since Aug 2011, RE since May 2012. Dx: PCOS,endo, postprandial hypoglycemia DH: SA 1 - low everything, 2- low everything, 3 - good, but WBC, 4 - lost and/or damaged at lab, 5 - low everything July - Letrozole + TI = BFN Aug - letrozole #2 + TI = BFN Sep - NEW RE!! YAY!!!! Move to IVF w/ICSI - ER on Nov 28 - 34 eggs! 2 day report - 26 successfully fertilized! 13 of 26 frozen at 3 days. 5dt of 2 best remaining eggs! BFP on HPT 6dp5dt Beta #1 10dp5dt-471 Beta #2 13dp5dt - 1250
  • I hear you on the planning thing. I'm doing basically what everyone else said- I'm doing the registry for my own planning and organization, but only giving it out if someone asks what we need. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLinz-E:
    I'll be making a registry more for my own organization and completion discount. 

This I registered with #2 just so that i had a list of what i needed and for the coupons and discounts. It wasn't much though. I will do it again this time around too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAudaciousarica:
    Quite frankly, 2nd and 3rd and more showers are rather tacky, and registries as a whole are tacky. nbsp;The point of a baby shower is for people to celebrate the blessing that is your upcoming or already had baby not for the mother or mothertobe to be a present whore. nbsp;Prior to WWII baby showers were held AFTER the birth, so everyone could meet the baby and celebrate it's birth. nbsp;Which is the tradition my family still holds to. nbsp;Any subsequent "showers" to number one should be a baby welcoming party. nbsp;Parties are not for you to get gifts. nbsp;Your guests should feel honored to be invited and be a part of this wonderful time in your life. nbsp;They are not there to be responsible for buying childcare items nbsp;for the child you chose to get pregnant with. nbsp;nbsp;I will have a Babies R Us registry, but only for my own use, discounts, VIB card, and completion discount. nbsp;If you have a registry, it's SUPER tacky to put it on the invitation. nbsp;That's basically commanding your guests to buy you a gift and to buy what you tell them to. nbsp;How RUDE!nbsp;

A shower is so called because the point is to shower the mom with gifts. IMO, you don't show up to a shower without a gift. If you don't want gifts, you don't call it a shower.
  • Actually, a shower is so named because the point was to shower the mother with wisdom and advice on becoming a mother.  The bringing of gifts is a fairly recent addition to baby showers.  
    TTC since Aug 2011, RE since May 2012. Dx: PCOS,endo, postprandial hypoglycemia DH: SA 1 - low everything, 2- low everything, 3 - good, but WBC, 4 - lost and/or damaged at lab, 5 - low everything July - Letrozole + TI = BFN Aug - letrozole #2 + TI = BFN Sep - NEW RE!! YAY!!!! Move to IVF w/ICSI - ER on Nov 28 - 34 eggs! 2 day report - 26 successfully fertilized! 13 of 26 frozen at 3 days. 5dt of 2 best remaining eggs! BFP on HPT 6dp5dt Beta #1 10dp5dt-471 Beta #2 13dp5dt - 1250
  • I don't think it's tacky at all to do a registry! We do a big shower for first babies and a very small, very informal sprinkle for subsequent babies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"