Baby Names

MIL problem

I posted earlier on pronunciation of our front runner girl name Ravenna and how MIL keeps butchering it regardless of how many times we correct her.... Most posters said it was pronounced the way we were saying it so I know it's obviously not that hard to figure out....

How long would it take before you got fed up with it? And what would you say to her??? It's driving me nuts and DH keeps correcting her but she still does it... I finally texted her the phonetic way to pronounce it and still no success...

I think I've heard future DD be called Roseanna, Rowena, Roxanne, and the latest and most often used Raveena... Why won't she get it???!!! Our due date is fast approaching...
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket

Re: MIL problem

• She's intentionally not getting it.  She's not dumb, she's passive aggressive.  She'll get it once the baby's born, but butchering it now is her way of letting you know just how much she dislikes the name.
  • imagemj.reilly:
    imageTarHeels&Rebels:
    She's intentionally not getting it.  She's not dumb, she's passive aggressive.  She'll get it once the baby's born, but butchering it now is her way of letting you know just how much she dislikes the name.
    Yep.

I would be tempted to tell her "Her name is Ravenna. It is pronounced ruh-VEN-uh. We are not changing it. Either you respect our decision and you call her by her correct name, or you lose time seeing her."

Tough, but hopefully she will get it. She had her chance to name kids. She is completely disrespecting you. She needs to grow up and call you soon to be born daughter by the name you and your DH chose. Hopefully she will not act like such an ass after her granddaughter is born.
    Agreed. BTDT, sadly MIL still can't say S' name, her and sil want to say it how they thought. I use to correct them, now lo does and she gets mad at them.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTarHeels&Rebels:
    She's intentionally not getting it.  She's not dumb, she's passive aggressive.  She'll get it once the baby's born, but butchering it now is her way of letting you know just how much she dislikes the name.

Exactly all of this. I would ignore her pronunciations and guaranteed once your LO is born she will 'get' the name. 

• While I agree with PPs that she may be intentionally doing it, my own parents don't pronounce my second daughter's name correctly... Naomi. Nay-o-me. They say Nai-o-me (like "nigh" in night). They like the name, and I believe them, but I don't know if they'll ever get it... so I just let it go.
  • imageTarHeels&Rebels:
    Yup.  So, honestly, just chill.  YOu're playing into it by getting pissed, constantly correcting her, etc.  Just wait and see what she does after LO is born.  If it still continues then, THEN I would get more hard nosed about it.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I would just drop it and let her struggle with it.  It's her problem, not yours.  My grandfather (81 now) still spells my name wrong (very common 1980s name).  He also never calls my DD by her name.  Usually calls her baby, but that is probably because as he gets older and he has 7 children, 19 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren's names to remember and he probably cannot remember them all.  It is not some protest against her name. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJoy2611:

imageTarHeels&Rebels:

Yup. Yup. Yup.

She's trying to piss you off.  She's doing an excellent job.  Ignore her.

Agreed.

I'll admit to occasionally doing this (intentionally butchering a name I think is stupid), but I wouldn't do it repeatedly with my child's name choice.

Ignore her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJoy2611:

imageTarHeels&Rebels:

Yup. Yup. Yup.

She's trying to piss you off.  She's doing an excellent job.  Ignore her.

This was my thought. Sounds like she is doing it on purpose to get you to change the name. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • We didn't tell anyone DDs name until she was born... partly for this very reason. Anyway, when she was born and DH announced her arrival MIL called everyone and told them the wrong name. My mom corrected her but she kept saying it wrong. Weeks later she still said it wrong. 

DDs name is Kirsten (keer-sten)

We heard her say "Kerrsten" "Kristen" "Keersen"

It took about 3 months but she finally got it. I never corrected her. I just let her look foolish. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1/2 of my DH's family still mispronounces my DD's name (Annika), now 16 months.  I really don't think they are doing it on purpose (granted, we don't see them a ton)...your MIL may not be doing it on purpose either.  She will get it sooner or later. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"