Preemies

Need some encouragement (re: breastfeeding)

LO was born 7 weeks early and I've been exclusively pumping since his birth. We have attempted breastfeeding 1-2 times a day several days a week, but it's more for getting to know each other than it is for actually eating...

I'm trying to make the switch to breastfeeding. I'm tired of pumping and I want to feed my baby! My supply is great, he's good at latching with the nipple shield and has a strong suck when we do the bait and switch (put the bottle in and then switch to the breast once he has a rhythmic suck going)...And the LC told me that our anatomy (my nipples/his mouth) are perfect for bfing...

I know it's going to be a slow transition but I need some encouragement. How long did it take you to make the transition? What worked for you? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need some encouragement (re: breastfeeding)

• The best advice would be to NOT GIVE UP!!  We still nurse with a nipple shield and it sucks...I am also still pumping after every other feeding (but that is only so I can build stock for the freezer because I travel a lot for work and to allow DH to feed in the middle of the night).  The LC told me to start nursing with the shield and then remove it as soon as I feel my letdown then relatch baby without the shield.  That has been working a little and LO is getting the hang of it without the shield slowly.  She latches but then realizes the shield is gone and unlatches.  Sometimes I get frustrated and see her getting frustrated also so I just put the shield back on.  The shield isn't my favorite thing, but to me, it is better than not breastfeeding at all.  Just stick with it...they tell me the baby will catch on, I'm sure your's will too :)
  • Thank you for the encouragement. I think it's just a hormonal day overall!

I won't give up but sometimes it seems like it won't happen and I'll be pumping forever. We had a great BF session at noon today. He fed for 20 minutes but then we supplemented with the bottle (per our LC) and he took it all. I was only expecting him to take about half... Also, I pumped and got about 3/4 of what I usually get... That makes me wonder how much he's getting when bfing...  Going to try again at 6 and see what happens...

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, don't give up!  DS1 and I struggled at the breast for awhile.  My LC kept telling me, "Just keep trying.  Once he gets closer to his actual due date, it will get easier, it will click."  And it totally did.  And we successfully BF through 14 months.

Best of luck to you!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I'm having a hard time with this too! I feel like I am pumping every minute and wish she was better at the breast (she latches good, takes a few good sucks and then stops, and usually falls asleep). And then we will give her a bottle and she will drink it down with no problem.  I worry too about how much she actually gets from my breast. This whole experience has been so rough and I have wanted to give up several times because it feels like I am doing double the work! I don't have good advice for you but just wanted to show you support! Hopefully it will click for us!! 
    Married my best friend September 4, 2011

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker

• Yup, don't give up!  I know pumping sucks, but stick with what you're doing.  DD didn't really get it until closer to her EDD and you're not there yet, so be patient!

Fwiw, DD started rejecting bottles around 2-3m actual and nursed until well after she turned 2.   

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagehooverj3:
    I'm having a hard time with this too! I feel like I am pumping every minute and wish she was better at the breast (she latches good, takes a few good sucks and then stops, and usually falls asleep). And then we will give her a bottle and she will drink it down with no problem.  I worry too about how much she actually gets from my breast. This whole experience has been so rough and I have wanted to give up several times because it feels like I am doing double the work! I don't have good advice for you but just wanted to show you support! Hopefully it will click for us!! 

Thank you for chiming in... Sorry you're in the same place, but it's helpful to know someone else who'd in the trenches with me. I agree with everything you said, but especially the bolded parts. Thank GOD my husband is off until the new year so he's been able to help with the night feedings but it is still so hard. Praying it clicks soon for both of our LOs and we can say bye to the pump!

• I'm in the same situation too, and I promised myself I will try for one more month.  DD is 8 weeks now (today was her due date!) born at 31 weeks.  She has a shallow latch and she even tugs at my nipple.  She also falls asleep a lot when I offer the boob -- or she gets really mad.  I feel she's really confused, and I'm hoping (like the other mommies posted) one day it will just "click". I've even purchased two of the Medela Calma nipples to help promote the right suction/flow when my DD takes the bottles.  I SO want to breastfeed her...ugh.  My hands are super dry from washing all of the pump parts and bottles they are literally bleeding.  Just know other mommies are going through the same thing -- don't quit yet.  I have a feeling both of our babies will get it soon :)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"