December 2012 Moms

Gracie Ella Jane is here after a scary start! PIP

We had a rough labor and emergency C-section.... Gracie had a rough start and I needed a blood transfusion, but I am so happy to announce that Gracie and I are home and healthy!

Short version of our story:

Labor/contractions started on Saturday night at 7:30 and I was up most of the night. I called and then went to the hospital Sunday morning at 10. I was 3 cm dilated and my water broke at 2:45. I labored until 6 the next morning, but Gracie's heart beat slowed/almost stopped with each contraction and I was only dilated to 4cm, so we did an emergency c-section and she was born at 6:33 am. I lost a lot of blood (my numbers were half of what they should have been) and had to get a blood transfusion 2 days after delivery (2 bags!) It was very very scary for awhile and Gracie wasn't doing well at first (she had a low heartrate and had swallowed muconium) DH says she had an x ray before she was even 10 minutes old to check her lungs and was hooked up to so many machines that he didn't know what was happening. I didn't get to hold her until she was almost 2 hours old! I saw her for two seconds in the operating room before they whisked her away. She had the cord wrapped around her shoulders and body twice, preventing her from making any progress and preventing me from dilating any further. We finally came home Thursday afternoon (would have been home sooner, but I had to be observed for 24 hours after the transfusion... vitals every half hour, etc). She's a little jaundiced, but not in need of any intervention other than lots of booby time!
Right now, I'm exhausted, but on cloud 9!

Needless to say, we had some complications, but we're in good spirits!

Breastfeeding is tricky, but we are getting the hang of it and she has already gained half a pound and is almost back to her birth weight of 7lbs 8.6 ounces. She was 20.5 inches long. She's a great little sleeper and it's so satisfying to snuggle my peanut :)

Photo: Gracie is enjoying the swing, thanks for letting us borrow it Jennifer Bailey!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gracie Ella Jane is here after a scary start! PIP

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"