January 2013 Moms

4cm!!! Advice!

Hey Ladies, 

I went for my first internal exam on Friday and the doctor made a comment about how I am going to go into labor soon. I was like 'duh' in the next three weeks. He was like 'no, in a few days.' He then told me that I was 4cm. I was like OMG I am shocked and he was like so am I, and so was the nurse! lol! He didn't tell me how much effaced I was and at the time I forgot to ask. (I was freaking a little thinking he was going to tell me to go to the hospital right then and there). 

When I wiped a couple of times, I had a mucus discharge on Saturday and I noticed I dropped. I know, TMI. I am a FTM and I was wondering other women's experiences about being 4cm and when they had their babies. 

Thanks!!! and Happy Holidays.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_0941

Re: 4cm!!! Advice!

• It means nothing, and shame on your doctor for getting you excited for no reason. Sorry, but it's the truth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What I have read about the stages of labor says that 4cm is technically active labor so take that for what it is worth.  Good luck!! =)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told 4 cm means active labor... Did I dream that info or something?
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ... If she's not having contractions and not "working" it's not labor. You can walk around for weeks at 4cm. Could she go into labor soon? Sure, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I'd expect to go the normal 41 weeks for a FTM.
  • imageluvindanimals:
    I was told 4 cm means active labor... Did I dream that info or something?

I believe that if you're having regular contractions and are at 4cm you're then considered to be in active labor, but you can also have cervical change without being in labor.  Everyone is different.  

OP, it's hard to say.  It sounds like your body is definitely gearing up, but no one knows what that means because everyone is different.  Some women walk around for weeks at 4cm or even more.  Or, you could be having the baby tonight.  There's just no way to know!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • My doc said the transition from 4cm to 5cm is usually when labor gets real. So I think with being 4cm you're teetering on the line of active and unactive (i guess you would call it) labor. I know one person who walked around 4cm for weeks before actual labor started. So your doc could be right, could be wrong, but I wouldn't get to worked up about it. It'll happen when it happens.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Baby comes when baby is ready!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Best of luck OP! I hope this means a Christmas baby for you. My doctor doesn't even start internals for FTM's till 39 weeks and after being a little disappointed at first I realized its probably better for my mental state. Being told I was 4 cm and might have a baby any day would have just screwed with my mind.
  • My cousin was dilated to 4cm for weeks before she delivered her DD.
    Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageReyka9:
    It means nothing, and shame on your doctor for getting you excited for no reason. Sorry, but it's the truth.

This. You could be 4 cm for weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can understand feeling anxious about it. I would feel the same exact way. But at least it's exciting and it means your body is preparing itself...I would say 4 cm is definitely a positive thing! Don't we all wish we could predict things in this uncertain time!? It's hard to be patient with so much that is unknown.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I was 2 cms at 36 weeks and then 4 cms at 37 weeks. I had a lot of contractions between those two doctor visits, so it wasn't that surprising I had dilated some. My contractions settled down after that though, and when I was checked at 37 weeks and 3 days, I was between 2-3. That's right, I went backwards. It really means nothing. I've had some strong well defined contractions since then, so maybe I'm back to a 4 or maybe not. It really doesn't matter. Whether I'm at 0 or 5 I could go today or have to be induced at 41 weeks. Have your bag ready to go, but mentally prepare yourself to go to your due date.

• imageReyka9:
    It means nothing, and shame on your doctor for getting you excited for no reason. Sorry, but it's the truth.

This. I walked around at 5cm for over a week with my first! Its nice to know you're almost half way there though! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I've been at 4cm for over two weeks now and still no baby.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Why don't you trust doctor and stick with his/ her advise?
    Why do you have to ask random people and get all kinds of random opinions? I don't think it helps..
  • imagedrpayne:
    imageReyka9:
    This. You could be 4 cm for weeks.

Agree. Sorry.  Maybe you'll go into labor tonight though!  You never know!  I just wouldn't get too excited.  I had regular, timeable contractions for three weeks with Nate and was induced at 42 weeks in the end.  You never know.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageReyka9:
    It means nothing, and shame on your doctor for getting you excited for no reason. Sorry, but it's the truth.[/quote

This.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been at 4 cm since my 38w appt last tuesday. Just like someone with no progress, labor could start anytime. I would be prepared for baby but you could still be waiting awhile.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagehmr22:
    I've been at 4cm for over two weeks now and still no baby.

Me too! And I'm 100% effaced. Don't get your hopes up...just makes time go by slower.  

• Yeah, I heard it could be a while. That is why I was asking. I would prefer after the holidays since I feel like its still a little early even though it is consider full term. But it got my husband all excited and expecting every minute we are going to have to go to the hospital (he is really impatient to meet the little guy). Its cute. But I was really surprised that my doctor would say that because I heard I could walk around like this for 3 more weeks.

Thanks again everyone!!!! Enjoy and good luck to you all!!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_0941
  • Our hospital admits you at 4 cm so hopefully soon!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo theboysanddany_zps4c74191e.jpg
  • I dilated to a 6-7 over 2 weeks before I had one contraction in transition so I have to agree that being 4cm doesn't really mean anything if you're not having active contractions.

BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"