3rd Trimester

Worried.... I was just diagnosed with the flu

My kids were sick last week with a bad cold, so when I woke up tuesday with a cough, I assumed I picked up what they had. Well, now it is Saturday and my symptoms (cough, runny nose, sore throat) have gotten so bad I went to get a flu/strep swab. The flu came back positive. :(

Im so worried now. I have never gotten the flu before, but the doctor said because Im pregnant Im a high risk for a secondary infection like pneumonia. She put me on bed rest (without any meds), but of course I googled some stuff and Im even more worried about all the dangers. Not to mention, Im also anemic and according to google that puts me at an even higher risk for a secondary infection.. I know Im rambling

I guess my question is, anyone out there ever have the flu in the 3rd trimester and everything turn out okay?? Im 30 weeks today 

Me 33, DH 33, Charlotte 5, Ethan 3
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Worried.... I was just diagnosed with the flu

• I haven't had the flu while pregnant but let me be the first to say to step away from Dr. Google. He only gives you the bad news.

If your doctor isn't concerned, try to take that as a positive. Stick with the bed rest, lots of fluids and rest. 

I had the stomach flu while pregnant and they suggested vitamin B, Unisom to help me sleep and G2 Gatorade, I recommend the lime.

Hope you get to feeling better. 

• I had the flu when I was pregnant with my daughter 3 years ago. I was about 38 weeks I believe. Not going to lie it wasn't fun being sick but everything was fine. This was during the H1N1 big deal so I called my OB. They didn't even want to see me and called in a prescription of tamaflu.  I was feeling better in a few days with lots of rest fluids etc.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I had it with my son in the 3rd trimester. I was like you and freaking right out. I knew it wasn't good. I had a cold, that turned into bronchitis/flu. I was put on a nebulizer (also have asthma) and robotussin. That didn't do much and I was sick for 3 weeks :( Totally sucked and I was worried about baby the whole time. He came out as healthy as can be and the doctors were also relieved and ready to treat him. Good luck and it doesn't always affect the baby. Ps. Back way from the google, lol. It only makes things worse.
  • Thanks for responding! I know, I know... step away from google. LOL I hate worrying myself

They let you take Tamiflu? I asked and they told me no, said it was dangerous. I begged for something to make it go away, but the doctor told me there wasnt any meds I could take other than tylenol... I wish it wasnt christmas break so I could call my gyno

• I've had the flu with every single pregnancy, just got over it with this one.  All in third trimester and throwing up the whole deal.

I've had the flu shot and sometimes didn't, it doesn't seem to matter.  

I take Tylenol and get plenty of rest etc...  One time I got really dehydrated and had to go to triage for some fluids and reglan.  

With DS1 I tested positive for the swine flu or whatever and had to get tamiflu.

None of these instances were the doctors or nurses concerned, treatment was mainly for my own comfort and all my babies have been just fine. 

Just take it easy and stay hydrated and you should be fine! 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageelizhope:

Thanks for responding! I know, I know... step away from google. LOL I hate worrying myself

They let you take Tamiflu? I asked and they told me no, said it was dangerous. I begged for something to make it go away, but the doctor told me there wasnt any meds I could take other than tylenol... I wish it wasnt christmas break so I could call my gyno

Yeah and I'll be honest I didn't even research it at that moment because I felt so horrible and trusted that they were right.  My assumptions are that the "risks" of the meds were less than complications of the flu.  As I google now though I see that it just hasn't been tested in pregnant women so they can't really say one way or another.  https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/informationbydrugclass/ucm184917.htm 

If you have more than 1 doctor in our office it is worth asking for a second opinion.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • The thing with tamiflu is that it is gross, can make you throw up, and only knocks a day or so off of the flu symptoms. That's why a lot of docs will say it isn't worth the risk. My doc said it isn't worth the risk of thwoing up or it making me feel gross when it only knocks off a day or so.

With that said. I had the flu and strep throat in November with my daughters. I followed it up with a stomach bug a week later. Fantastic timing. We've been sick for months around here.

You can take robatussin or mucinex dm or tylenol, lots of fluids and rest. Hope it passes quickly for you! Try not to worry! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • DH and I had the flu a few years ago and both took Tamiflu. I believe it did help but I know the doctor told us it is most effective when taken within the first few days of onset of symptoms. It helped me more than DH because he became sick about two days before I did and we went to the doctor together once I started feeling sick. I think because I got it early on, it really did help.
  • Ive been coughing like crazy for days. Like to the point I feel like i NEVER stop coughing. Is that normal with the flu? Ive never had it, so im not sure what is normal and what is "excessive". I asked if I should go ahead and get the chest xray now,but the doctor said unless my fever stayed high for over 24 hours, then no...but this coughing......  (?)
  • I had the flu in my 2nd trimester and unfortunately it turned into pneumonia and a severe sinus infection. They gave me a Z-Pack (the 5 day dose of antibiotics) and was better within a week or so. And baby boy is growing right on track, no issues at all. I had the flu twice when I was preg with my first baby as well and was given the Z-pack for a sinus infection then too and shes a healthy, happy, and beyond intelligent 2.5 year old :) All will be well. If you get too sick, you can take antibiotics.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the flu this year. It was the week after thanksgiving, but I bounced back pretty quickly. I only missed a day of work, and felt totally fine the a few days after that. I did have my flu shot though, so I think that's one reason I bounced back so easily.
  • imagePandasMama0626:
    I had the flu in my 2nd trimester and unfortunately it turned into pneumonia and a severe sinus infection. They gave me a Z-Pack (the 5 day dose of antibiotics) and was better within a week or so. And baby boy is growing right on track, no issues at all. I had the flu twice when I was preg with my first baby as well and was given the Z-pack for a sinus infection then too and shes a healthy, happy, and beyond intelligent 2.5 year old :) All will be well. If you get too sick, you can take antibiotics.

How did you know when you got the pneumonia?  Did your symptoms change?

• I am no expert, but it is my understanding that avoiding a fever and keeping hydrated are the most important things to remember. I hope that you feel better soon!

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Yikes, that's a pretty bad situation to be in. I always get my flu shot and I've never had the flu. I got a simple cold last week that turned into a sinus infection, and has been hard as hell to get over.  I'm taking tons of meds for it including a Z pack that I finished today, and some prescription nasal spray.

My coworker got the flu last month, and he was out of work for three weeks. He started the tamiflu right away, but it turned into bronchitis, and then pneumonia. He is a healthy, fit, 30 something year old guy, and he looked like death when he came back to work. He was weak and had problems with short term memory loss for a little bit.  I can't imagine trying to fight something like that without any meds.

• I had the flu, and then ended up with pneumonia.  It wasn't fun, but I survived.  :)  I too am anemic and have some other concerns.  Just drink lots of fluids and rest, if things don't get better in a few days make sure to get back to the doctor.  I got put on antibiotics for the pneumonia. They helped, but it was still a very long recovery period.  I'm still struggling with a cough occasionally.

good luck and take care of yourself! 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • imageelizhope:

Thanks for responding! I know, I know... step away from google. LOL I hate worrying myself

That's misleading for them to tell you it's dangerous.  It's Category C, so no clinical trials have been done to show a result either way.   

This is from a few years ago:

Pregnant women:  Pregnancy increases the risk of complications, hospitalization, and severe disease.  One study estimated the risk of hospitalization for 2009 H1N1 to be four times higher for pregnant women than for the general population (Jamieson DJ, et al. Lancet. 2009;374:451-458). While oseltamivir and zanamivir are "Pregnancy Category C" medications, meaning no clinical studies have been conducted to assess the safety of these medications for pregnant women, available data suggest pregnant women with suspected or confirmed influenza should receive prompt antiviral therapy, and pregnancy should not be considered a contraindication to treatment with oseltamivir or zanamivir. Oseltamivir is preferred for treatment of pregnant women because of its systemic activity. 

More recent info suggests taking it, too, but it's really your call.  I took it in 2009 when in 1st tri with DD1 because of the H1N1 outbreak in my classroom.  You do need to start it asap, though.

GL and I hope you feel better soon! 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I had the flu last week. That was also the first time I've ever had it. My doctor said I could take Tamiflu if I really wanted to, but he didn't really recommend it. I took Tylenol for my fever and Robitussen for my cough and congestion and just made sure to rest a lot and drink an insane amount of fluids. Not fun, but I don't think you need to worry yourself too much about it, as long as you make sure you are resting and staying really hydrated. Also, Google will always show you the worst possible situations. Steer clear!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
    Lucy Kate 2/9/13
    m/c 12/30/11 - our Christmas baby
  • Fluids! Fluids! Fluids! And rest. You'll be fine I'm sure!
  • imageRachelM05:
    I had the flu last week. That was also the first time I've ever had it. My doctor said I could take Tamiflu if I really wanted to, but he didn't really recommend it. I took Tylenol for my fever and Robitussen for my cough and congestion and just made sure to rest a lot and drink an insane amount of fluids. Not fun, but I don't think you need to worry yourself too much about it, as long as you make sure you are resting and staying really hydrated. Also, Google will always show you the worst possible situations. Steer clear!

:) Thanks! What kind of Robitussin? I was told the plain kind, but all the store had was DM? Is that the same?

• Thank you everyone! I feel so much better now.((hugs)) Im resting and drinking lots of fluids. I dont have a fever, but man, this cough and sore throat is just awful.
  • Youll be fine. Keep really hydrated and keep your hands clean. : it sucks massively but itll turn out ok. Think positive and dont stress. Stressing just lowers your immune system that much more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo theboysanddany_zps4c74191e.jpg
  • I think the kind I got was just called Robitussen Cough and Cold or something like that. It was different than the DM kind. The nurse said to steer clear of those.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Sometimes,' said Pooh, 'the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
    Lucy Kate 2/9/13
  • imageelizhope:

imageRachelM05:
    I had the flu last week. That was also the first time I've ever had it. My doctor said I could take Tamiflu if I really wanted to, but he didn't really recommend it. I took Tylenol for my fever and Robitussen for my cough and congestion and just made sure to rest a lot and drink an insane amount of fluids. Not fun, but I don't think you need to worry yourself too much about it, as long as you make sure you are resting and staying really hydrated. Also, Google will always show you the worst possible situations. Steer clear!

:) Thanks! What kind of Robitussin? I was told the plain kind, but all the store had was DM? Is that the same?

I think the kind I got was just called Robitussen Cough and Cold or something like that. It was different than the DM kind. The nurse said to steer clear of those.
    Lucy Kate 2/9/13
  • I had it three weeks ago. I agree with previous posters--fluids, fluids, fluids!

FWIW, I'm still coughing (other than that, though, I now feel fine). Unfortunately, weeks of cough is pretty normal.

• My mom had the flu when she was 8 months pg with my little sister. Ugh. We were all sick that Christmas! My mom did have it rough but no pneumonia and my sister of course turned out more than perfect! :-) hugs. Take care of yourself. Get plenty of rest and keep your fluids up. Feel better soon! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I too would step away from Google, just take your bed rest seriously. Do your body all the favors you can by getting lots of sleep, relaxing, staying hydrated and eating really healthy.
  • I am 38 weeks and 5 days today and 3 days ago I had to go to a Patient First (a 24 hour doctors office) because I came down with the flu too on Thursday night.  Not surprised teaching 24 1st graders!  I called my doctors office and one of the on call doctors called me back and told me to go to get checked, and if I was positive to take tamaflu.  When I came home and took it, I threw it up but I was able to take it again the next morning.  Finally starting to feel better but yes, throwing up and having a fever this pregnant was kind of scary!  

They said tamafly was a category C medication which basically means that there is not enough info to grade it higher or lower.  

All I know is that I didn't want to go into labor feeling so sick!  Good luck and hope you feel better soon!!! 

• imageelizhope:

imagePandasMama0626:
    I had the flu in my 2nd trimester and unfortunately it turned into pneumonia and a severe sinus infection. They gave me a Z-Pack (the 5 day dose of antibiotics) and was better within a week or so. And baby boy is growing right on track, no issues at all. I had the flu twice when I was preg with my first baby as well and was given the Z-pack for a sinus infection then too and shes a healthy, happy, and beyond intelligent 2.5 year old :) All will be well. If you get too sick, you can take antibiotics.

How did you know when you got the pneumonia?  Did your symptoms change?

Yes. I felt a "rattle" in my lungs when I would try to breath, I was short of breath, the fever wouldn't break even with tylenol, and the gunk could be heard breaking up when I would cough (which was ALL THE TIME non stop) was not coming up anymore. My lungs had basically started to fill with fluid it couldn't get up and out. It also felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest sometimes when I couldn't get enough air. The dr. didn't even bother doing an xray on me. He took one look, a quick listen, and judging by the fact I was pregnant as well, he thought it best to start on the antibiotics immediately. 

• imagejinnymb:
    I've had the flu with every single pregnancy, just got over it with this one. nbsp;All in third trimester and throwing up the whole deal.I've had the flu shot nbsp;fine!nbsp;

Throwing up is not the flu, FYI. That's a stomach virus. Different illness.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"