Multiples

When did you feel ready to watch twins on your own?

I have one more week of help before starting to watch the twins all day while my husband is at work, and I'm feeling really nervous.  They will be four weeks old (they were born four weeks early), and are pretty good babies in terms of sleep.  I still have carpal tunnel numbness in my hands and have had mastitis the last few days, so I'm guessing that's why I feel extra nervous.  

When did you start having twins on your own all day?

Identical twin girls born via c-section 12/3/12 Son born 3/26/08

Re: When did you feel ready to watch twins on your own?

• My husband took 10 days off when the boys were born and then went back to working long hours. You'll be fine! It can be overwhelming at times but you learn how to triage, figure out which twin to attend to first if both are crying at once, etc. (It often helps to first take care of the one you think can be soothed more quickly so you can get them settled and then turn your attention to the one who might be harder to soothe.) You also learn tricks like holding one baby while you bounce the other in the bouncy seat with your foot, use the swing, wear one baby while carrying the other, etc.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I haven't yet, but I told my husband yesterday that I think I'm ready to give it a try. The more experience I get as a MoM, the more I'm realizing that I just have to push myself to try things that scare the crap out of me. So far, none of them have been as bad as I thought they would be.

Good luck! You'll be fine! My friend nannies two 3 month old twins on her own. It's stressful sometimes, but she manages just fine.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
    My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Less than two weeks after they were born and they were 36 weekers.  You just do it because you have no choice.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • My twins were born on a Thursday, DH took off the rest of that week and the following week.  After that it was just me with a 2 year old and NB twins.  The weekend before he went back to work I would ask him to run errands so I could get some "practice" but he was only a phone call away if I needed him to come home.  It really was easier than I expected.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • imageE&RMommy:

Less than two weeks after they were born and they were 36 weekers.  You just do it because you have no choice.

This. Mine were born at 36w5d, I was in the hospital for 5 days, DH took for 2 days, and my mom took off 3 days IIRC. DH works 6 days a week so I was really thrown into it. I was scared shitless and begged my mom to quit her job so I wouldn't have to do it alone but I survived.  

m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • The day after they came home from NICU at 17 days old- born at 34w 3 d.  We brought them home at 7pm and I was on my own the next morning when my DH left for work at 5 am.

I still had issues with my BP- started to become low BP versus the high BP I had during and for two weeks after delivery.

• I had help to six weeks. I think I would have been ready earlier, but we had serious latch issues and BFing wasn't going well. Once I figured out a formula/BFing plan that worked for me, things were much better. It really wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I find that the babies are much more relaxed if it is just me and our days seem to go better :). GL, it really isn't as bad as you think it could be!
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• imagezombiemommy:

I haven't yet, but I told my husband yesterday that I think I'm ready to give it a try. The more experience I get as a MoM, the more I'm realizing that I just have to push myself to try things that scare the crap out of me. So far, none of them have been as bad as I thought they would be.

Good luck! You'll be fine! My friend nannies two 3 month old twins on her own. It's stressful sometimes, but she manages just fine.

Just curious about the "two 3 month old twins." Do you mean two sets of 3-month-old twins? If so, that does sound like a handful, though I've heard the caregiver:infant ratio allowed by law is 1:4 so I guess it makes sense.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I've been doing it since they came home from the NICU at 20 and 27 days. 

ETA: They were born at 34w. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Since they were 5 days old. DH went back to work and he works a 2nd job so 2 days a week he is gone from 7am-5pm then again from 8:15pm-1:30am. You just do it.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• imageJodiAriel:
    Since they were 5 days old. DH went back to work and he works a 2nd job so 2 days a week he is gone from 7am-5pm then again from 8:15pm-1:30am. You just do it.

Cute siggy pic! 

• imageMama-Bear:
    My twins were born on a Thursday, DH took off the rest of that week and the following week.  After that it was just me with a 2 year old and NB twins.  The weekend before he went back to work I would ask him to run errands so I could get some "practice" but he was only a phone call away if I needed him to come home.  It really was easier than I expected.
    I really needed to read this response right ow. This is something I have been starting to stress about - even if it is months away. Thank you!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • This post makes me nervous! I do not plan on having a ton of help. Just my mom and MIL if needed but not around the clock by any means. Yikes!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think they were 3 weeks old before I had an entire day by myself with all 3 kids. I was so nervous about it. I won't lie; it was hard. But, you get used to it and figure out ways to make life more manageable.

GL! You can do it.

J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • For me I had a lot of anxiety and it was probably close to 12 weeks before I did a whole day by myself. Even then I still had a lot of anxiety about it. I did find that once I mastered it the anxiety went away. I would just say to have confidence in yourself; you can do it.
  • Ive been on my own since i brought them home! Im a single mom and i didnt get any help! Friends came to visit but didnt help with the babies! I can understand you being nervous about it though since you started out with help but you will be fine! Just try to relax! You will enjoy the alone time with your babies! GL to you!
  • They were 2w1d.

Take a deep breath and relax.  You got this!  Take it a little at a time... minute by minute if you have to.  It was super overwhleming for me at first but now (5 weeks in) it is getting easier.  You will do great!

• One week old for Baby B and two weeks old for Baby A, when they got released from the NICU.  They were born @ 36w.  I found it easier.  I was able to get on our own schedule and things weren't chaotic like it was when we had visitors.  Still a blur, but a less stressful blur :)  You can do it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was taking care of mine on my own at just a few days old because DH was busy trying to finish getting our house ready. You just have to jump in and go for it!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The very next once they were home.  They were in the NICU for 10 weeks so my DH had no more PTO to take, so I was by myself when he was at work.  It wasn't that bad and I was fully recovered at that point.

• They day after they came home from the NICU (33 weekers, came home after 13 days) I had them to myself as my husband had to pull a 24 hour shift.  Then he deployed when they were 4 months.
    Jayme
    Boy 16, Boy 15, Boy 13, Girl 10, Girl 8 & Twin Boys 3, and Bacon!
    Twin A is in REMISSION!
    23 week loss, 24 week loss, 3 early miscarriages & a 25 weeker who lived only 9 weeks.
  • Thanks everyone for the input. . .I knew that four weeks had to be doable.  I hope some of you who started after a few days weren't also recovering from c-sections as well, or all I can say is how impressive that is.  
    Identical twin girls born via c-section 12/3/12 Son born 3/26/08
  • They were a month old (right at a week old adjusted). My parents would help by coming over for a few hours so I could shower, nap, clean, etc.
  • I didn't have a choice I had Liam on my own the day after he got out of the NICU and Hayden joined us 5 days later. They were 6 weeks old, 38 weeks adjusted. DH hasn't taken his paternity leave yet for  work reasons and we don't have any family near by. 
  • imageE&RMommy:

Less than two weeks after they were born and they were 36 weekers.  You just do it because you have no choice.

My Mom came to Hawaii when my twins were born. At a week, I sent her, Dh and my oldest (then 9) hiking. I was with them and figured it out. I had to: Mom left when they were 3 weeks and my DH is in the AF and returned to flying status and I still had another child that needed my attention. No choice here either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"