3rd Trimester

Bringing Boppy or Brest Friend to hospital?

I have a Boppy and  Brest Friend and was going to bring both to the hospital to practice BF with both while there. Not sure which one I will like, if either. Figure could try both while nurses and Lac consultants are around to help.....DH thinks that's bringing too much and I should choose one or the other to bring.  

What do you guys plan on doing? Both? Boppy? Brest Friend? Neither?

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bringing Boppy or Brest Friend to hospital?

• My boppy goes everywhere I go!! Its my fave item, so yes it will go to the hospital with me :)
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Boppy.
  • Loading the player...
  • i only got a boppy, never head of this best friend
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • I hated the Boppy, but loved My Brest Friend. Loved it. I found it much more supportive for breastfeeding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm taking my boppy with us :)
    Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • I would tell DH that if he wants to support you in your efforts to BF, he can carry two darn pillows :p 

I got a my brest friend as a hand-me-down, so I didn't get a boppy. I'll try a friend's if the brest friend doesn't end up working well. Though then again, my friend who BFd her twins ended up just using regular bed pillows and sitting indian style and really disliked the boppy. Who knows what will work! If I had both, I'd probably end up bringing both. Gotta do what you gotta do! 

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • I only have a Boppy, but I had it with me when I had DS and it's packed to bring again.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My hospital has a boppy in every room but they are very pro breast feeding. You might check and see if your hospital has any available.
  • My hospital is very pro breastfeeding, but I was advised to leave mine in the car. I had a csection and it was much more comfortable with just pillows at first. I have a mambo and boppy and love them both! I just had no need for them in the hospital.
  • My hospital recommended we leave ours at home because its not quite high enough to support a BFing newborn. They have plenty of pillows.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have both and from everything I've heard and read the brest friend is better for smaller babies that are learing to BF. In a month or two I'll love the boppy but in the beginning the brest friend is a life saver (is what I've heard). So I'm going to bring the brest friend to the hospital.

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageOf The Eld:
    My hospital recommended we leave ours at home because its not quite high enough to support a BFing newborn. They have plenty of pillows.

Which?

I used the MBF with my preemie and found it extremely helpful. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't own a Boppy, but I will definitly be bringing my Brest Friend pillow to the hospital. It is so much easier to nurse a baby with it than a whole bunch of thin hospital pillows.

• imagesucrets4:

imageOf The Eld:
    My hospital recommended we leave ours at home because its not quite high enough to support a BFing newborn. They have plenty of pillows.

Which?

I used the MBF with my preemie and found it extremely helpful. 

I think she means the Boppy. DS1 was just shy of 5 lbs when we left the hospital, and positioning him to nurse was so much easier once I started using MBF. Since it latches around you, you can position it as high as you need, and the baby does sink down away from you. 

• imageOf The Eld:

The nurse on our hospital tour also recommended using just pillows in the beginning, and to leave the boppy at home. 

image ?/25 my chart image
  • imagemrsmcdonald:
    I hated the Boppy, but loved My Brest Friend. Loved it. I found it much more supportive for breastfeeding.

I have a Boppy and while it was useful, my close friend who had a DS 2 months after mine was born has a Brest Friend, and when we'd hang together, I definitely envied her pillow over mine.

I'd do the Brest Friend over the Boppy since you've got it, but otherwise, I don't think it's a huge inconvenience to take both.

• MBF hit me at the c/s incision site, so I didn't get to use it at the hospital. I ended up using the pillows there.
  • I just put my MBF in the car tonight!  For me it was a lifesaver while learning to nurse DS; it sounds crazy but I sometimes wonder if we ever would have gotten the hang of it without it.  It held him in the perfect position for me so I could focus on getting him latched (we had latching difficulties); I couldn't concentrate on his position and latching at the same time.

If you want to bring both, I would just put them in the car and not even bring them in until you need them. If you don't need both, or either, they can stay in the car and not be in the way.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • imagekielpinskim:
    MBF hit me at the c/s incision site, so I didn't get to use it at the hospital. I ended up using the pillows there.

Really?  How low did you put it??  I had a c/s, too, but could sit comfortably with the MBF and move it so that it wasn't anywhere near my incision. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was told not to by a nurse at my hospital... they use pillows, and chances are you still have a bit of a bump right after that makes it uncomfortable to use the boppy.
  • I like the brest friend better for nursing personally (loved the boppy for DD to "lounge" in too), so that's what I'll bring this time.  If I were you, I'd toss both in the car, and have your H grab the other if you want to switch.
  • We brought the Boppy, but my LC advised against using it.  They showed me all of the holds using regular pillows and it was much easier/more comfortable to use them.  I actually never ended up using the Boppy, I gave it to a friend when DD was 6mo.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • I owned both and used both for BF'ing at home (Breast Friend ended up being my favorite early on) However, I did not take either to the hospital with me (boppy may have been in the car but I never used it)  I had plenty of pillows that I was able to use in bed to achieve the same result and LC there to help too.  If you bring it I'm sure you'll use it but for me it was just extra to carry.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • imageMommaAmers:
    I only have a Boppy, but I had it with me when I had DS and it's packed to bring again.

This for me as well.

• I took my boppy with DD, but I never took it out of the car. I'll probably pack it again this time.
  • I'm planning to have my Boppy in the car in case I want it.
  • I didn't bring anything with DS, just used extra pillows. Wasn't planning on bringing anything this time either but now that I think about it, it might be nice to have my Boppy there.
  • Thanks everyone! I will probably bring both in the car and send DH out to get them as needed. He will love that! :
  • OMGI would have died without my breast friend in the beginning. Boppy was perfect when she got bigger, but when she was a newborn I could only master the football hold and the breast friend got higher and tighter around me than the boppy. Bread friend was the bomb for the first 12 weeks or so!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"