Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Miscarriage question

I went to the er last night for spotting. They basically told me that there was nothing they could do if I were having a miscarriage. Today I have been passing tissue. I don't know whether to go back to the er or wait at home. Doesn't this type of thing happen naturally or does every miscarriage have to have a dc.

Re: Miscarriage question

• First of all, I'd just like to express my sympathy for you. I know that this is a difficult time for a woman. 

From what I understand, a D&C is recommended, but not necessary in all cases. I think that it really depends on how far along you were in your pregnancy whether or not you should have one. Being that it can be a traumatic process, some women opt to go without having one, especially those that MC'd in early pregnancy. In those cases, the body can usually pass all of the tissue without ill effects.

Again, I'm very sorry to learn of your loss and wish you the best in the future.  

• I'm only 5 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • So sorry that you've found yourself here.

Many women miscarry without complication at home. D&C is recommended by some doctors for it's speed and relative physical ease, but not necessary unless a) your body does not take care of things and you begin to get an infection (this would take many weeks generally) b) your body takes care of it but it's not complete or c) you begin to bleed too heavily, more than a pad every 30-60 minutes continued.

Honestly, if you go to the ER and are not in an emergent situation they will likely give you pain meds and send you home, but if you begin to feel that you are not able to continue without help then do go in since they can at least ease pain. 

Many of us here have miscarried at home, so feel free to ask questions if you have any.  

ETA: make sure you follow up with your doc to confirm miscarriage and confirm that everything has passed. Occasionally remnants are left and, if not removed, can cause infection. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Right now I'm going through the same thing you are. Started bleeding 2 days ago and then the clots began. I was about 6 weeks but I'm certain not everyone needs a D&C. I think if your body is doing it on its own now then you may not need a D&C. 

BFP 03/01/2011 - DD  Annabelle 10/28/2011
    BFP 12/2/2012 - MC 12/19/2012 @ 5w
    BFP 01/25/2013 - MC 02/09/2013
    BFP 09/09/2013 - DUE 05/17/2014
  • I went to the ER a week ago with bleeding...not too heavy.. And bad back pains and cramps worse than normal period pain. After a dozen tests they said there was no heartbeat and that I was having a miscarriage... All they did was give pain killers..which didn't even touch the pain once it got really bad..I cramped for a total of 20 hours before I passed a big clot..the pain got real bad about 10 minutes before..I had a weird urge to push and it came out. Once it passed the bad pain immediately subsided and went back to normal cramping for a few days. A week later I am barely bleeding. It was a horrible experience, I was 8 weeks. I'm sorry you are going through this, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"