March 2013 Moms

Crib bumpers

What are some opinions about crib bumpers? I've heard that mesh bumpers are recommended over nonmesh ones because they provide better air circulation in the crib which can help to prevent SIDS.

Re: Crib bumpers

• I'm going no crib bumpers or blankets. Everything I've read had warned against them to prevent SIDS.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think the official stance is that even the breathable ones carry a risk.

I own a breathable bumper set. I did not use bumpers until my second, at 6 months old frequently woke herself (I'm talking every 40-60 minutes) because she'd get her arm or leg stuck and was starting to get bruises from how hard she was tugging to get loose.

I held on to the bumper just in case, but will not be putting it in unless we have a similar problem this time around. I don't necessarily know how dangerous they might be, but in this situation it's something I feel there's no need to even take whatever risk there may be. Of course, I didn't like bumpers from the beginning, so choosing to not get a bumper was partially because I think most of them are ugly (but I was relatively pleased with the overall appearance of the breathable one once it was in place)

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The AAP will consider anything in the crib, besides a baby and flat sheet, a risk. It's your call as a parent to do your research and decide what you are comfortable with.

I have and I'm okay with using bumpers.

• imagemal922:
    This can be a controversial topic.  The AAP doesn't recommend the use of any crib bumpers, whether "breathable" or not.  Perhaps it's an unnecessary precaution, but I personally can't see using anything that might increase the risk of SIDS, especially if it is for decorative purposes.  From past conversations on this topic, some moms like to use the breathable ones later when the baby is more mobile and can get its arms and legs stuck in the crib slats. 

This. And once baby can stand in the crib, ALL bumpers must go because some babies have been known to stand on them and fall out of the crib. Although, baby would have to have some pretty serious upper body strength to really make that happen! :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • PP's have already covered what the AAP recommends. I bought a bed set that came with bumpers for DD1 and left them off initially. When she became mobile, she was constantly getting her little limbs stuck in the slats and waking herself. I asked my pedi and he said after 6 months, he personally is not as concerned with the risk of SIDs. He told me to do what I was comfortable with, and that the AAP has their recommendations for a reason, but that generally, if she is mobile enough to get her arms and legs stuck, she is mobile enough to move her face away from the bumpers. He suggested I put them on the crib if this continued to wake and bother her. I did and she's been fine. It would have made me nervous to do it before 5-6 months of age. I will hold off on putting up any bumpers in DD2's crib until we encounter the same problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We used breathable ones with DD, and I have no regrets. But like others have said, this is a controversial topic. It's ultimately what the parent feels comfortable with. IMO though, it's breathable bumpers or none at all. I most definitely would not put the "regular" ones in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No old school bumpers! Not only are they a suffocation hazard, they restrict the flow of air in the bottom of the crib, leaving baby breathing more carbon dioxide. I'm going bumper free, even the mesh breathable ones. As PPs stated, you only need those IF when baby can roll and move a lot they start getting stuck in the slats. So it will be a while before they get to that stage, and then the baby may not be a wiggler and need the protection.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We asked around and everyone told us they used bumpers and were fine. My fiance was mostly worried about arms/legs getting stuck. The baby is SUPER active in the womb, so we are expecting an active newborn as well. Also, we have a cat and when one of our hands or feet pop out of the blanket she likes to attack them, so we were worried about that with the baby too.

We ended up getting one of the mesh bumpers. We put our faces on it and found it breathable, and it will keep kitty paws out of the crib. Once the baby comes, we'll just have to see how we feel about it. Your motherly instincts are your best tool.

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• We have made the personal decision not to use them at all. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never used or needed a crib bumper.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We used a mesh breathable one with DD and will reuse it for this baby.
    BFP #2 5/31/12 CP 5w2d 6/4/12 BFP #3 7/9/12 EDD 3/8/13 Another Girl!! Lilypie Pregnancy tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"