Special Needs

Intro and Eye patching

Hi all... My 6 month old son was just diagnosed with a cataract in his right eye. He will need surgery eventually but for the time being the doctor wants to patch his good eye 4 hours a day and keep his bad eye dilated at all times. We follow up in three weeks and see if he is maintaining or if progressing quickly we will schedule surgery sooner rather than later. My son is so miserable with his eye patch : anyone been through something similar or any advice?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro and Eye patching

• Welcome!

Nate wore an eye patch for 4 hours a day starting at 4 months old for about 7 months, but he was pretty chill about it.

How is your son miserable? Maybe someone can offer tips....

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• He just won't stop crying.... And not just whining I'm being fussy crying. Like cry until I exhaust myself cry .... He does that the first hour. Today he went to daycare with it on, I am about to pick him up now. Hopefully he did better the rest of the day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope he had a better day too. He will get used to it.

You have to be tough mama! It is important to preserve functional eyesight in the weaker eye until surgery.

If it seems like his skin is irritated from the adhesive, you can stick the patch on your jeans to knock down the stickiness. I used a bit of baby powder staggered on the sticky part of Nate's patches and also trimmed around the edges to make less sticky area. It made removal a lot less painful.

Good Luck! Be Strong!

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Try lots of distraction, new toys, books, etc. There is a yahoo group, just search aphakic support group. There are lots of great people that are dealing with kids with cataracts. My son was born with his and had it removed at 6wks. So he only knows life with a patch, but patching has still been the hardest thing ever, but so worth it!
  • I was patched for 3 years or so on and off. They smell (or at least they did 30 years ago). With it being so close to the nose the scent seeps in and you are smelling the bandagy smell all day. My mom used to spray the patches with her perfume - Opium or White Diamonds. The other thing is to use a sticker chart with rewards or try to get him into pirates (seriously - I still have memories of playing pirates with my eye patch on and being the captain).
  • My DD was born with a cataract in one eye and had it removed at 4 weeks old. She has been patched since she was that age every day, first for half her waking hours and now for 3 hours a day. It is harder when they start older, but stick with it. Even for my DD is can be a struggle, some days more than others. You will go through good and bad phases, buy it will be worth it in the end.
    My DD has gotten so used to her glasses now, not only does she not pull them off, she will adjust them herself when they get crooked. Just trying to say, it does get better
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"