C-sections

How was your recovery?

I currently have a frank breech baby according to my last u/s at 35 wks. I'm still hoping for him to flip in the next couple weeks but if he doesn't I'm going to have to get a c/s at 39 wks. This is my first pregnancy and I'm pretty nervous about the recovery time associated with having major surgery.

Can any STM's tell me a little about your experience?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How was your recovery?

• imageEllis31:
    I currently have a frank breech baby according to my last u/s at 35 wks. I'm still hoping for him to flip in the next couple weeks but if he doesn't I'm going to have to get a c/s at 39 wks. This is my first pregnancy and I'm pretty nervous about the recovery time associated with having major surgery.

Can any STM's tell me a little about your experience?

I had two c--sections.  The recovery from both was fairly easy.  I had complications from edema after the first one, but that had nothing to do with the c-section itself. 

The second one was a little harder.  But, that's because I was over doing it and pickin up my older daughter when I shouldn't have. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a Frank Breech baby as well and was stressed about the recovery. It was NBD. Make sure to get up and walking ASAP (I did within 6 hours of the surgery). I will say I needed lots of help around the house for the first week (I felt better after that). Make sure you aren't home alone during that first week (hopefully your DH or mom or MIL can help!).  Take it easy (VERY easy for the first week). Also, take your pain meds (I was scared to take mine which was dumb). By 7 days out I felt good, by 2 weeks out I felt nearly 100% (although still was careful about lifting to be safe!).

DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you all for your stories, I really appreciate it :) I'm definetely starting to feel better about the possibility of having a c/s.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It took about 2 weeks to get out of bed without pain and about 12 weeks to feel 100%. Just take it really easy on yourself and take those pain meds. Anti-inflammatory worked best for me, it takes the burn out of those healing muscles. 
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Both recoveries were easy.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I had a scheduled C section and honestly Im so glad. I tell everyone, I have no idea what I was so afraid of. Yes its scary and No it wasn't in your original plan, but role with it. In the hosp DH had to change diapers and hand me LO but once we were home 52 hrs after surgery I was good. By day 7 I was pretty much back to normal. PP bleeding isnt that bad, pain is managed by motrin and tylenol. The one thing I will say is take the gas pills and try not to drink out of a straw to much because the gas pain is painful. You'll do great!
  • well I get complications because I have a condition called myasthenia gravis so my experiences aren't the norm, but I do have some advice :)

Get up and walk as soon as they let you even if you are sore.   The more you move the better your recovery (obviously don't over do it but walking, etc.)

Take the pain meds and make sure they give them to you on time.  In the beginning you need to walk like I said, but you can't do it without some pain meds and if you are in pain you are not going to want to walk.

Typically you feel better after week one, more yourself week 2 and back to normal week six.

Don't push it, but it isn't that bad so don't sike yourself out about it either.  :) 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences, if my LO doesn't end up turning, I certainly feel much better about having a c-section.
  • My recovery was great. My hospital requires moms to stay in bed until the next morning, so that was the worst part. I got up and was walking the halls on day 2, and when I left, I was no longer taking pain medicine around the clock. I thought my recovery was great.
  • Mine was great.  I ended up having an unplanned c section and was up at the hospital and able to manage stairs at my townhouse once we were home.  I think it took one Percocet and other than that just the prescription ibuprofen.  I will have a RCS is time.
  • I've had 4 fantastic recoveries. My last one was my easiest. My first 2 kids were breech (head up, feet down).

GL to you! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Due to a medical condition, I had a planned c/s with DS (and will have a repeat c/s with this LO). I was nervous about recovery but I was really lucky to have an easy one-it was by far easier than my recovery from my appendectomy. I got up and walked as soon as I could (my hospital doesn't let you walk till the catheter is out, which for me was the next morning). I took the pain meds on time and think that was helpful. I think I felt so good that I over did it with going up/down stairs, walking around so I ended up bleeding longer than I should have, but other than that, I really didn't have any issues.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Im only almost 2 wks out from my csection and still feeling intense pain. They give you meds to help with it. But for me personally moving too fast, getting up & down from sitting and bed hurts. I cant reach high or low for anything. I really cant do much of anything right now  .Thankfully I have my hubby home from work for couple weeks taking care of everything ,me & daughter. My & his goal is to get me functional before he goes back to work which he keeps reminding me when I overdo it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My recovery was a breeze compared to the 3rd degree tear I had from my vaginal delivery with DS.  DD was also frank breech and didn't flip.  Good luck.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I am a FTM, but had a C-Section after 30 hours of labor.

That being said, I really feel my recovery was easy-peasy.  The big thing was that I forced myself to get up and move around as much as I could safely.  

I went off of the narcotic pain relievers and was just on tylenol/ibuprofen every 2 hours at day 2.  It still hurt to get in and out of bed, but wasn't unbearable.  By the time we got home at day 4 (because of the extra day laboring), I was slow moving, but fine.

I compare that to hearing about women's vaginal births with tearing/stitches, and I don't really feel mine was that much more dramatic. 

The only surprise for me was that I bled for weeks afterwards.  It is totally normal, you bleed just like women that had a vaginal birth, but I didn't expect it as I didn't look much into C-Sections when I went in for my induction. 

You have even more going for you that yours would be scheduled, so you wouldn't be quite as worn down as I was, but mine was still pretty easy compared to what I would have pictured before I had it.

• I had a csection  at 36 weeks due to having hip dysplasia and a kidney blockage. Best thing ever! Yes I was nervous considering it is major abdominal surgery but I knew I was in good hands. Pain was hard to manage the first day but once under control it was a breeze for me. I still had vaginal  bleeding for about 10 days post op. 

"You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • I had a c-section at the end of November, and I have had a fairly easy recovery.  I was up and walking 4 hours after she was born, I showered the next day, and was moving around pretty well.  I'm almost 4 weeks post partum, and I still have a little pain from my incision when I go to sit up in bed or lay down, but it's not horrible pain.  I was able to go up and down stairs when I came home from the hospital, I just had to take my time. 
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • imageMissMusic:

Hi Ellis!

I felt pretty darn good after 5w, but I also had a lot of help at home.  The first 2 weeks were very difficult--just keep up on the meds they give you and don't try to be a hero by doing too much activity or thinking you don't need meds at all (like I did--very stupid).   Get up, walk around, etc--but you don't need to be doing a ton of laundry or lifting things. 

My recovery was pretty darn good.

Feel free to inbox me anytime.  I'm usually over on July 2012 moms, you can page me there :)  Good luck.

Hey MM! Thanks so much for your response, once I know for sure (in the next few weeks) if I will have to have a c/s I'll probably PM you!

Thank you to everyone else for your support and answers, I really love that I can gain so much comfort from your experiences :)
  • I've had two -- an unplanned and RCS.  Both were great recoveries but my second was even better.  I had very little pain and only needed ibuprofen in the hospital and once I was home.  I was able to walk around 5 hours after surgery and got my catheter out 12 hours afterwards.  It felt weird/painful to pee at first but the next day I was fine.  I was walking 1-3 miles a day when I got home and started running again about 4 weeks pp.  I hosted my son's 2nd birthday party 10 days postpartum and had about 30 adults and toddlers running around my house.  I needed help vacuuming but it was otherwise great -- just to give you some context that you have nothing to worry about!  Good luck!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Im 1 week PP csection. Im still on the couch because laying flat and getting up sucks. My advice: WALK, WALK, WALK when you can. And accept main medication!
    IMG_4940vin-1-1 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It took me only about 2 weeks to feel better. The first week is the worst. Sleeping is extremely uncomfortable. My uterus felt like it weight a thousand pounds and the incision was very painful, but a body pillow helped. And the meds. I stopped the major pain med after a couple days home, however, because it made me kind of loopy and I was scared I would fall down the stairs with DS in the middle of the night. But I kept taking the prescription IB profen. Another major problem I had was severe swelling in my legs and feet, that was really uncomfortable but after a couple days of elevating my feet most of the day, it went away. Luckily, I gave birth in the summer so I could wear dresses and sleep in just underwear because anything coming near my incision was very uncomfortable. I was back in loose jeans, though, by 3 weeks pp. Again, overall, I'd say the worst is over in the first 2 weeks and it was all uphill from there, for me. Best of luck.

Anniversary
  • I obviously have nothing to compare to, but I thought my recovery was pretty easy all things considered.  Day 2 after the c section was very rough, but I think that was mostly because I tried to be a hero and didn't keep up with meds.  As long as I stayed on meds (for the first 7-8 days), I was pretty comfortable.  I had no issues with stairs or our very high bed by the time I was home.  At 8 days, I felt well enough to walk a mile, slowly, but still, and by 2 weeks I felt mostly pretty close to to normal. 

I did have complications from extreme edema which lasted for 2 months, but that had nothing to do with a c section... and I don't love my how my scar looks, though that's purely cosmetic... it healed well and for all intents and purposes I thought it was a pretty easy way to give birth.

***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• I had a c/s 11 wks ago. It was not planned but induction (due to very high bp) did not work. The c/s itself was pretty quick and painless, you only feel some tugging, sounds bad but it actually felt cool in a weird way! After, I was very sore at my incision for about a week and then the soreness began to subside over the next 2 weeks. When you first have it done, its hard to even get up out of the bed. They will probably keep you longer in the hospital (than a v birth), everyone will probably tell you to stay and take the help, but do whatever will make you comfortable, for me, it was leaving early, I just wanted to be in my own bed! GL to you! Don't be nervous, I was at first, but I kept reminding myself that dr's have been doing c sections for a very long time, it will be over before you know it and you'll hear your baby cry :)
  • I had an unplanned c section in July. Now, I don't have a vaginal birth to compare it too...but the recovery wasn't awful. Not easy, but not terrible.

The most unexpected for me was how much it hurt to laugh...so keep your funny friends away for a few weeks.

Seriusly though, as long as you don't try to be a hero and do too much...and you take your pain meds...you'll be fine. But try and walk as much as you can as soon as they let you...it seems counter-intuitive, but it helps.

Oh! And one more thing! You will have tons of gas and be totally swollen at first. I think I looked MORE pregnant after my c-section, but that goes away. So don't panic!

• Both of them were wonderful. I only needed ibuprofen when I returned home. I took it easy in the hospital and at home for the first few days.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I may be in the minority, but I didn't find a c section to be the least bit painful.  I was slightly sore, but it was managed with Tylenol.  I had a vaginal delivery with my son and a c section with my daughter who was also Frank Breech.  I loved knowing the date she would be born (I don't like surprises lol).  I was up walking around a few hours after surgery.  I had her on a Monday and they let me leave on Wednesday.  I heard horror stories and for me, it was honestly a breeze.  The build up is far worse then the actual surgery.  Good luck to you.
  • I had my first baby by elective c-section in September (Doc told me I had a small pelvis and a big baby...baby was born full term at 7 lbs 2oz, go figure!) and I am so happy with my decision.  The worst part was the first week or so.  Hard to get up off the couch, and even more difficult to rise out of my rather-soft bed every 2 hours at night to feed him.  I feel great now though (Connor turned 3 mos last Thursday), and have felt great and totally normal since he was about 4 weeks old.  My only suggestion is to not chase your pain--take pain pills regularly scheduled, even if you dont feel like you need it.  The pain will come on, and it hurts.  It's like someone is holding a match to your lower abdomen--it BURNS! Overall, totally do-able.  Good luck!
  • Thank you again for all your experience and advice, I come back on here frequently and love hearing your stories, they have really helped to put my mind at ease.
  • I had an unplanned c-section with my son. I didn't think my recovery was too bad, I was up and walking the next day. Like everyone has been saying make sure to take the pain medicine it really helps. I did suffer from very bad headaches a couple days later that the medicine wasn't helping with, turned out I was leaking spinal fluid from them injecting stuff into my back for the surgery so I did have to go back to get a blood patch done, but otherwise everything was fine. Two weeks out and I was functioning very well. My son was in the NICU for a while though since he was premature so I didn't really have to worry about moving around too much. So from my experience just make sure to take it easy and don't ignore headaches that dont go away! :)
  • I have had one vaginal birth and one c-section birth and the c-section was way easier when it came to recovery. I was in less pain with the c-section than I was with the vaginal. I only took Tylenol after my c-section never needed any thing stronger than that. I would rather have had a vaginal birth because it has far less risks but I had to get my baby here safely.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Recovery wasn't easy for me. I had mine about 11 weeks ago and I feel basically better now. My stomach muscles are still very weak and so my belly feels weird and is shaped weird, but I'm working on it. I had a very difficult time lying flat on my back or even sides after the CS for over 2 months. I used tons of pillows to stay elevated. There were a few times when I would stand up from a sitting or lying position and get shooting pains - guessing nerves or everything settling but that has definitely minimized with time. I also had tenderness to the touch of the muscles near the incision. That has also minimized with time. I never had any issue with the actual incision though, that healed quickly. I was and kind of still am nervous to wear any tight pants around that area because I can still feel the knots of the incision and don't want to aggravate them.
    TTC #1 since 4/2011. Cycle 1 = BFN. Cycle 2 = BFN. Cycle 3 = BFP 6/28. CP 7/2. Cycle 4 = TTA. Cycle 5 = BFN. Started progesterone. Cycle 6 = Disaster. Cycle 7 = Progesterone. BFN Cycle 8 = BFN. Cycle 9 = BFN. Cycle 10 = BFP 1/1/12. C/P 1/8/12. Cycle 11 = BFP 2/3. Stick! Due 10/15/12. Baby girl arrived via c-section on 10/10/12 after 20 hours of labor. Welcome my love!
  • My situation is a little different than everyone else's--I had an emergency c-section, and my doctor wanted me to get out of the hospital as fast as I could, so I could travel an hour away to see my baby in the NICU.  I had my c-section at 2:30 am, and was up and walking around noon.  It's obviously going to be a little painful, because you just had major surgery.  But I was up and walking around and that afternoon.  I was released the next day.  Even without the proper recovery time in the hospital, my recovery was excellent.  But everyone is different.  I was able to sleep on my side and my stomach by about 5 1/2 weeks.  My sister-in-law wasn't able to sleep on her side until a few months after, and her stomach not until about 7 months after.  Just remember to take it easy--let your body rest.  Have people pick up your baby and bring the baby to you.  Always have sometime help you stand up, if you feel the least bit worried about hurting yourself.  I was so paranoid that I would rip my incision open, so my husband helped me stand up for the first little bit.  By about 6 weeks, I felt 95% better.  And now, 2 1/2 months later, I feel absolutely normal.

Hope it goes well for you!  Enjoy every moment!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"