May 2013 Moms

Extreme Panic

I went to get my blood test done last week to screen for disorders.

I got a call Monday that my test came back abnormal.

I am really scared! I want my baby to be healthy, and I am worried that my dreams might be crushed. 

Did anyone else get abnormal results that didnt wind up affecting their baby? I am 17 weeks now, blood test was done at 16 weeks. 

Re: Extreme Panic

• I didn't have abnormal blood test results but I know how you feel - I had a slightly higher than normal measurement on my NT scan and that made me extremely worried.  I came on here and many, many people told me that a HIGH majority of people with abnormal results on any of these tests go on to have healthy babies.  There is a high false positive rate. So as hard as it may be, try not to worry - I've been there (kind of) and I know it sucks but chances are extremely high that everything will be fine!
  • Thank you. I hope so.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageshelzee3:
    I didn't have abnormal blood test results but I know how you feel - I had a slightly higher than normal measurement on my NT scan and that made me extremely worried.  I came on here and many, many people told me that a HIGH majority of people with abnormal results on any of these tests go on to have healthy babies.  There is a high false positive rate. So as hard as it may be, try not to worry - I've been there (kind of) and I know it sucks but chances are extremely high that everything will be fine!

This is one of the reasons we opted out of most testing.

Even if there is a problem, you will find a way to deal and this child will still bless your familiy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCRLSMC2011:

imageshelzee3:
    I didn't have abnormal blood test results but I know how you feel - I had a slightly higher than normal measurement on my NT scan and that made me extremely worried.  I came on here and many, many people told me that a HIGH majority of people with abnormal results on any of these tests go on to have healthy babies.  There is a high false positive rate. So as hard as it may be, try not to worry - I've been there (kind of) and I know it sucks but chances are extremely high that everything will be fine!

Even if there is a problem, you will find a way to deal and this child will still bless your familiy.

This. We opted out for all of the early screenings. No matter what, we will love and raise this baby. And all the worry and stress will only make things worse. Good luck and stay calm
  • Yes, this is me. My downs numbers came back elevated. I opted for the Materni21 test. I am currently waiting for the results. Today was day 8, my results should be back before day 12.

Try to keep yourself busy, that seems to help me.
    IMG_5977lb
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• imageCRLSMC2011:

imageshelzee3:

Ditto. We chose to not get the tests done because it would not have changed anything but make us worry more.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were told by our nurse that the test comes back abnormal quite a bit, she said that most of the time that those tests scare most mothers then do any good. We decided not to do the test because we didn't to add any more stress. Besides if there was anything wrong I wouldn't love him any differently, he is my son no matter what. I am sure everything is okl, I would just wait for the second test they do and go from there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Please make sure to post when you get your results! I hope all goes well for you.
  • I was never told I could opt out of the test. They just told me that at 16 weeks they usually do the blood draw, that I could do it that day or wait. No one said it wasnt necessary :( 

• imagemyblackrose88:
    I was never told I could opt out of the test. They just told me that at 16 weeks they usually do the blood draw, that I could do it that day or wait. No one said it wasnt necessary :nbsp;

That stinks. At our very first prenatal appt, my dr explained that we could opt out and gave us the release paper work. That's also when she told us how high the false positive rate is.
  • imagemyblackrose88:
    I was never told I could opt out of the test. They just told me that at 16 weeks they usually do the blood draw, that I could do it that day or wait. No one said it wasnt necessary :nbsp;

That stinks. At our very first prenatal appt, my dr explained that we could opt out and gave us the release paper work. That's also when she told us how high the false positive rate is.
  • Same thing happened to me. 1 in 46 chance of down syndrome. I was referred to a perinatologist for a level 2 u/s and opted to also do the Harmony test. Both came back negative, everything is OK. Keep your chin up and my advice would be to not google anything! That got me really scared.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I made that mistake for about 5 min before I stopped myself! 

I also made the mistake of looking at images of the disorders I had never heard of. That lasted about as long as it took the page to load.

I'm scheduled for my level 2 u/s on monday morning. What is the harmony test? 

• I pray everything is ok. From what I read it seems like more than often the blood work indicates something, but then the baby is ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"