May 2013 Moms

They aren't kidding...

They aren't kidding when they say the TDAP hurts! It didn't hurt when I got it yesterday, but I woke up this morning and my arm is killing me!

Still kinda nervous that I got it during my pregnancy, but my doctor recommended it AND I started working at the hospital, and they told me to get it also. Anybody else had this shot yet?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: They aren't kidding...

• I was given it right after delivering DS. I remember my arm hurting for a couple days. I hate shots!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I read about this on a post a few days ago so I asked my doctor (normally see MW, but this is the doctor she works with) and she said they (in there office) never recommend during pregnancy, but if you haven't already had it they give it to you before leaving the hospital.

I had it a month of two before finding out I was pregnant for my teacher subbing license so I won't need it again.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had mine in the hospital after delivering Baby #1 in 2011.  AND I let a student do it. OUCH.  She stabbed me, DEEPLY. 

It was awful.

• Yeah, I've read a lot of contradicting opinions, which makes me more nervous... I've looked stuff up online, and it's supposed to be proven safe any time after 20 weeks. Also, if you get the shot during pregnancy, the baby will get some antibodies as well. Working at the hospital, I decided it probably was in my best interest to get it now in case I become exposed to pertussis over the next few months, since it's highly contagious. There have been several outbreaks lately in my area...

Hope I made the right decision... Baby has been kicking away this morning, so that's comforting!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagehope2432:
    Yeah, I've read a lot of contradicting opinions, which makes me more nervous... I've looked stuff up online, and it's supposed to be proven safe any time after 20 weeks. Also, if you get the shot during pregnancy, the baby will get some antibodies as well. Working at the hospital, I decided it probably was in my best interest to get it now in case I become exposed to pertussis over the next few months, since it's highly contagious. There have been several outbreaks lately in my area... Hope I made the right decision... Baby has been kicking away this morning, so that's comforting!

I imagine it would probably help put your mind at ease especially working in a hospital. If you trust your doctor, which I'd assume you do, I'm sure you and the baby will both be just fine.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got the shot this morning.  Getting the shot did not hurt one bit.  My arm is a bit sore now but not bad, feels sort of like I slept on it wrong.  I was told to ice it if it hurt.

Here, where I live, it is mandatory for all women who are 20 weeks pregnant.  As whooping cough is a pretty common. 

IVF# 1 with ICSI 05/02/2012 - Husband had surgery 07/13/2012 - Started BCP 07/31/2012 - Stopped BCP 08/02/2012 - Little Friend came and had trand vag echo and blood test 08/03/2012 - started Puregon 250UI a day 08/10/2012 - blood test and transvag echo. Continued with Puregon, added Orgalutron and Menopur 08/12/2012 - did regular meds in morn, Pregnyl trigger shot at 930pm 08/14/2012 - ER with only a shot of anesthetic to my whoha - OUCH -next time i will ask for general. They were only able to get at one ovary because the other is located too close to my intestines. 08/17/2012 - ET of 2 Grade A emryos. Dr said only two really good ones were available and if the others make it to blastocyst stage. 08/27/2012 - No call from doctor so we can assume nothing to freeze. 08/31/2012 - Beta #1 286.2 - I am pregnant! Doctor is not doing a second Beta 09/1472012 - Saw babys heart flutter Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageBsAsKate:
    I got the shot this morning.nbsp; Getting the shot did not hurt one bit.nbsp; My arm is a bit sore now but not bad, feels sort of like I slept on it wrong.nbsp; I was told to ice it if it hurt.
    Here, where I live, it is mandatory for all women who are 20 weeks pregnant.nbsp; As whooping cough is a pretty common.nbsp;

I didn't even think to ice it. I well definitely be doing that haha. Yeah, mine didn't hurt the first day. Just wait till tomorrow!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got mine last year after hurting myself and not having had a tetnus shot in 15 years.  The injection didnt hurt, but I dont think I could even use my arm the next day. It would wake me up at night if I rolled over on it.

My dad just got his at my request, and he was being a big macho guy about it, claiming shots have never bothered him. He called the next day to tell me all about his sore arm, LOL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagehope2432:
    imageBsAsKate:
    I got the shot this morning.nbsp; Getting the shot did not hurt one bit.nbsp; My arm is a bit sore now but not bad, feels sort of like I slept on it wrong.nbsp; I was told to ice it if it hurt. Here, where I live, it is mandatory for all women who are 20 weeks pregnant.nbsp; As whooping cough is a pretty common.nbsp;
    I didn't even think to ice it. I well definitely be doing that haha. Yeah, mine didn't hurt the first day. Just wait till tomorrow!

I hope the ice helps! Oh boy! Well tomorrow i guess DH will be helping me make the Christmas cookies!!

IVF# 1 with ICSI 05/02/2012 - Husband had surgery 07/13/2012 - Started BCP 07/31/2012 - Stopped BCP 08/02/2012 - Little Friend came and had trand vag echo and blood test 08/03/2012 - started Puregon 250UI a day 08/10/2012 - blood test and transvag echo. Continued with Puregon, added Orgalutron and Menopur 08/12/2012 - did regular meds in morn, Pregnyl trigger shot at 930pm 08/14/2012 - ER with only a shot of anesthetic to my whoha - OUCH -next time i will ask for general. They were only able to get at one ovary because the other is located too close to my intestines. 08/17/2012 - ET of 2 Grade A emryos. Dr said only two really good ones were available and if the others make it to blastocyst stage. 08/27/2012 - No call from doctor so we can assume nothing to freeze. 08/31/2012 - Beta #1 286.2 - I am pregnant! Doctor is not doing a second Beta 09/1472012 - Saw babys heart flutter Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for the heads up. I have to get one on Jan. 3rd. :-(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMAdams728:
    I got mine last year after hurting myself and not having had a tetnus shotnbsp;in 15 years.nbsp; The injection didnt hurt, but I dont think I could even use my arm the next day. It would wake me up at night if I rolled over on it. My dad just got his at my request, and he was being a big macho guy about it, claiming shots have never bothered him. He called the next day to tell me all about his sore arm, LOL

I know! I have a huge welt on my arm where the shot was. I guess this is normal? Haha it feels like somebody slugged me in the arm!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got mine in the hospital after delivering Ds. Man, that thing did kill the next day!
    It felt like a huge bruise.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"