Pregnant after a Loss

Bicornuate uterus!? Should I be worried? (U/S results)

So I had a u/s on wednesday and my Dr just called with the results. I measured 5w2d, which was two days ahead of where I thought I was, no biggie. They also didn't find a HB, which it's too early for anyways, so again, no biggie. BUT they mentioned that I have a bicornuated uterus. I had a hysteroscopy in July and the OB never said anything about this!

The nurse told me the risks are preterm labour and possible cervix incompetancy. Before I turn to Dr. Google who will no doubt scare me more, do you guys know anything fo this or have it? Should I be worried? Could this cause a miscarriage? I'm trying to take deep breaths.

BFP #1: 12/26/11, EDD 09/05/12; m/c discovered: 02/22/12 @ 12w u/s,
D&C: 03/08/12 Waited for AF for 146 long days!
Hysteroscopy/D&C on July 10th to fix blocked cervix (DX: Cervical Stenosis)
BFP #2 12/8/12, EDD 08/21/13 Our rainbow arrived 08/24/13!
imageimageimage

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Bicornuate uterus!? Should I be worried? (U/S results)

• PAL lurky loo

I was dx with a bicornate ute at 6w in my sons pg. Mine was a heart shaped one, no septum. I'm not sure if you have one or not, but it's a good question to ask your doc. I had no complications at all from my ute shape with my sons pg. He was delivered in the 37th week, but for a reason unrelated to my ute shape.

There was a website that I found helpful explaining the different anomalies and risks. It was called mullerian anomalies, I believe.

Eta:I also had a previous hysteroscopy and it wasn't noted

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I don't have any advice but I just want to give you some (((HUGS)))! Hopefully the baby is implanted safely on the walls of your ute and everything will be JUST FINE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 1 - March 26, 2012, MMC discovered May 21, 2012
    BFP 2 - October 30, 2012, Rainbow Baby Boy born July 14, 2013
    TTC no sooner than November 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • STEP AWAY FROM DR. GOOGLE.

I have a bicornuate uterus, though have been told the indent is not too deep.  This wasn't mentioned until I had an emergency u/s at the hospital early on in this, my third pregnancy. Basically,  a bicornuate uterus is heart shaped and some have deep indents, some have moderate ones and some have barely perceptible ones.  From what I understand, the risk of m/c is only increased if the baby implants on the indent part and doesn't get the proper blood flow.  Once you are out of your first trimester, the risk goes down but you could still face things like preterm labor, IGUR and a c-section if baby is breech.  All of these things are because the baby might run out of room if s/he gets him or herself wedged into one of the horns- so again, a lot depends on how deep the indent is. I sacred the crap out of myself googling stuff, but in the end for me this has meant that I get extra u/s and growth scans and as of last week's, baby is doing just fine. I also posted on the high-risk board here where some women with bicornuate uterus' responded and no one had had a bad experience attributable to their bicornuate.  

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry too much, but assemble some questions to ask your doctor.  Instead of googling, maybe check out some forums where real women with this condition share their experiences.  I found that helpful and reassuring.     

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

• Thanks Ladies! I can always count on you guys to talk me off of the wall! I'm trying not to worry about it. If it's not implanted in a good spot, then I can't do anything about it. The nurse said it was in the left horn, so that's all I know. I'll be going in to see the Dr when I get back from holidays and I'll talk to my Dr more about it then. I'm glad I trusted my gut and went with a Dr rather than a midwife.
    BFP #1: 12/26/11, EDD 09/05/12; m/c discovered: 02/22/12 @ 12w u/s,
    D&C: 03/08/12 Waited for AF for 146 long days!
    Hysteroscopy/D&C on July 10th to fix blocked cervix (DX: Cervical Stenosis)
    BFP #2 12/8/12, EDD 08/21/13 Our rainbow arrived 08/24/13!
    imageimageimage

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I don't have personal experience, but I know a couple of the moms of the NICU babies I saw were bicornuate uterus babies.

Both of the babies were in the "large horn" of the uterus so they were able to go longer.  The problem they had was that they ran out of room to grow and thus had to be delivered early (24 weeks)

I know it sounds scary but maybe it's not as bad as theirs was....maybe yours is more to one side making it a bit better?

((HUGS))
    imageimage

image image image 

My Beautiful Boys! 

imageimageimage

PgAL/PAL welcome, always!
  • Hi hun, I am so sorry you've been given this news:( And shocked that they didn't notice it during your Hysteroscopy!

Like Erin said, I have a septum uterus. Mine was discovered during my HSG, I was going to get the surgery to remove it but ended up with a BFP as we found out about my DX after I had ovulated that month. Fortunately for you Bicornuates have a MUCH better pregnancy success rate vs septums but they cannot be removed like a septum can. They should be able to tell at your next u/s if it implanted in a good spot or not and if you make it into the 2nd tri, your chances of a successful pregnancy are excellent.

FWIW, my best friend has a bicornuate and gave birth to a healthy little boy last year. He did come a month early but was delivered vaginally.

Anyway I would definitely stay off google. The Yahoo group Mullerian anamolies has some good information on abnormal uteruses. But I would caution against joining. I joined but found there were too many sad stories which just made me depressed so I haven't posted there since.

PM me if you want to chat (((hugs))) praying for you that this LO is your sticky baby!

xoxox

BFP#1 D&C May 18th 2012 at 9 wks. EDD Dec 17 2012
    BFP#2 CP Sept 17th 2012 at 4.5 wks. EDD May 23 2013
    BFP#3 EDD June 24th 2013 IT'S A GIRL!
    BFP#4 EDD March 2 2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I Know nothing but I love your ( . Y . )'s. So I'll just bury my head in them until you feel better
    Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • I was told at the beginning of this pregnancy that I had one, and I was taken aback because no one said anything to me about it during my pregnancy with my first daughter. But the most common issues are PTL and breech babies, neither of which have been Issues for me.

I second everything the above ladies have said. There are many, many different levels of "abnormalities," many of which cause no problems. I think some techs have a habit of calling anything that remotely looks like a heart bicornuate, which is not entirely accurate. I was really worried about it for several weeks, until I went back for another ultrasound and there is no sign of it. Likely it was not very severe and is now totally stretched out. So stop googling, because the only way to know for sure what your ute looks like is to get an hsg or even better an MRI when you re not pregnant. The doctors cannot predict what your ute will do or how it will grow and stretch. They will monitor you and make sure baby is growing properly, and help you watch for signs of ptl. Hope you get to go back and hear a hb soon!

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • I have it. I delivered my first St 40w4d and no one mentioned it. I found out about it during my c/s when having my second a couple of months ago. My first pg was easy peasy,my second was full of complications including a large sch and my water breaking at 30w. I was on hospital bedrest for two weeks then delivered at 32w2d via emergency c/s. Baby was totally fine and spent one month in the nicu learning to coordinate suck,swallow,breathe and growing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also bicornate uterus does not mean you have a septum it means your uterus is more heart shaped than it is like aN upside down pear. You msy have a septum or you may not. I do not. The surgeon who did my c/s said that there was no way to know if my uterus shape had anything to do with my loss.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"