Babies on the Brain

Preconception dr.'s visit?

: XP on First Tri :

Hey all,

I've been lurking on here for awhile as DH and I are looking forward starting TTC in February. We've been married 2 1/2 years, both graduated from college (although DH's work is paying for him to get his master's which he's doing one night class at a time), and we are totally financially and emotionally ready and excited to start trying for a baby :)

So my question is: how many of you had a preconception appt. with your doctor? And if you did, was it worth it? Or am I better off just waiting till I get a BFP and then calling? I've looked over TB's 'preconception checklist' and I think I can answer all those questions myself other than if I'm at risk for any problems. There's nothing in my family history that would make me concerned but I know that just because you have a good family history doesn't mean you're in  the clear...

Thanks in advance for your advice :)
image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

Re: Preconception dr.'s visit?

• I made one, and my doctor was confused as to why I was even there.  He just told me to take pre natals, and have sex and come back with a bfp, or he would see me in a year if we were still trying.  Waste of time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i would not feel like its necessary if i were you. Unless you have certain issues or questions about getting off bcp or something like that. In general they like to see you after you get a BFP.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If you haven't had a pap in over a year, I'd set up an appointment with an ob. At that appointment you can ask any questions regarding ttc. If you've been within the year, there's no need to set up an appointment solely for preconception. Take some prenatals and you're good to go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't want to waste mine or my dr's time.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • We won't be TTC until July, but when I was at my annual pap last summer my doctor told me to come in a couple months before starting to try and they would do some blood work just to make sure everything looks good I guess.
  • Thanks for all your input ladies!

I got my annual checkup and pap smear in May so I think I'm good there. BC is just condoms so no issues with going off a pill. And I'm not on any meds or anything so I think I'll just call my regular doc and make sure all my vaccinations are up to date and then call the OB when I get a BFP :)

image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• I needed my annual exam/pap anyways but I also let them know ahead of time I wanted a preconception visit as well. I think every doctor is different, but it would have been a total waste of my time if it weren't for the fact I had to go for my annual anyways. She made sure I was on a prenatal and off the pill and told me to call when get a BFP. She asked me what questions I had (I had made a list a few months in advance, but of course forgot to bring it with me. Besides by this point I had pretty much answered all my questions by doing online research) and sent me on my way.
  • I never had one. It just seemed like a waste of time to me. I guess if you are behind in getting your pap smears and all of that then one might be worth it, but otherwise I don't think there is much they would really do! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I need a pap done, anyways, so I went in. I was just told to start pre-natals and make an appointment once I was 7-8 weeks pregnant.

Also, she said the recommended time between pap smears has recently been increased from one year to three. Woo!

• imageGhostMonkey:

imageKenziK:
    We won't be TTC until July, but when I was at my annual pap last summer my doctor told me to come in a couple months before starting to try and they would do some blood work just to make sure everything looks good I guess.

You should really ask what exactly they are going to run.

It will be my annual pap at the same time so we will discuss what all they test for before actually going through with it.

• I didn't make a specific appt, but at my annual exam, when I knew DH and I were going to start trying soon, I mentioned it to my OB/Gyn.  He actually did a blood draw to check and see if I was a carrier for any genetic diseases and I believe did a measles/rubella titer.  I was clean on the genetic front; I assume that if I wasn't, a screen for DH would have been in order.

i considered our chat to be beneficial, and would at least call and leave a message to see how your doc likes to handle it. 

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"