Toddlers: 24 Months+

How long do you let LO try to nap before...

getting them back up? We have been having a terrible time w/ DD napping - at the grandparents she's fine, at home it takes forever for her to fall asleep, if at all. Like today for instance, she was in her room for a little over an hour, just playing in her crib, throwing things out, hollering & talking (not crying). She was delirious and I knew she need to nap, so I went in a few times and tried to rock her, sing, make sure she wasn't wet, etc. Well I went back there once last time at about an hour and 20 min - gave her her paci again, and walked out. It was not even 5 minutes later when I walked back in to get her up b/c I figured it was a lost cause - when I opened the door she was fast asleep! So now of course I feel bad since she was back there for so long and now will be back there even longer since she's asleep. I've tried pushing her time up, back, etc etc...How long do you generally let your LO's stay in the rooms at nap time if they don't fall asleep, especially if they are just as content as can be? TIA :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How long do you let LO try to nap before...

• I've gone up to three hours (no crying, and I'm mostly in there with her the whole time).  Yes, three.  Minimum is an hour and a half (one full rest/active cycle). What you experienced was how I discovered that I needed to move my daughter's nap back 1.5hrs (from 1pm to 2:30pm - she gets up around 4pm from her nap).  We didn't move bedtime.
    IMG_8355
  • I have no idea what it is like to have a two year old that will take a nap. I usually just let her fall asleep wherever. And that only happens in the car. She simply refuses to nap. Some children need a nap, and some will refuse, and some will do both. No real advice, but a, hey, I know what you are going through. I gave up because I didn't want to hear the screaming and crying, and she sleeps so well at night, I figured she just wasn't a napper. I wasn't either at her age.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the same issues all the time.  DS usually waits to poop until his nap (sometimes twice) so that usually messes with his nap (he'll be up anywhere from 30-60 minutes) and then it takes him some time to fall asleep.  He sometimes doesn't sleep at all (I hate those days because he's miserable once it his around 4).  I usually give him about 1 1/2 hours after I change his diaper... usually ends up being around 3 hours which is how long he usually naps if he goes down right away.  I don't let him sleep past 3:30 and he goes to bed at 7.  If he doesn't nap at all, he's in bed by 6:45ish.
    Preston!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd go about 40 minutes or so - but I do NOT go back up into her room in that time - as it just winds her up more and it seems to take even longer

if I hear her yelling for her bunny (that she needs to sleep) I go in and pick it up (sometimes drops/throws it out of the crib) - that's the only time I'd go up there though - and I just give it back - say go to sleep and leave

she usually will yell for a few minutes, then lay down and go to sleep - cause she knows I'm not coming back til she does

• If she hasn't fallen asleep in an hour and a half, I go get her. She doesn't usually cry, and I need the quiet time just as much as she does : ) I can usually tell if she has pooped, because she either says "diaper change" or is grabs at her butt (thanks to the video camera I can see that). Sometimes I go in after an hour and try to rock her for a minute and lay her back down, but I don't want to make it a habit.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My rule is 1.5 hours of nap / quiet time even if he NEVER falls asleep. He needs it just as much as we do. :)

ETA: And I absolutely do not go in there until I'm ready to get him up. He doesn't cry or anything though, he likes his quiet time.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • DD isn't napping in her bed when she is home (she naps fine at daycare). If i put her in her room she will NOT lay down. So I've learned to push her nap back to about 1:30-2 and I lay her in my bed or on the couch with a movie. Usually within 30 minutes she's asleep. You gotta do what you gotta do.

• Have you tried white noise?

We use it with both kiddos. Ds1 naps after lunch but the exact time varies based on how tired he is and what time he woke up for the day. The more tired he is the harder it is to get him to nap.

• Thanks ladies! Almost sounds like we are all on the same page - just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving her back there 'awake' too long. We have white noise in the room, yes. I'm not sure what's going on, but at least it sounds like I', not alone!! Our pedi said at this age naps aren't guarranteed (sp?) & all that did was make me want to cry lol. :))
  • 2 hours, 1 if he goes down late.
  • Sometimes DD will fall right asleep (perfect situation) and other times she just likes to chill in her crib and "read" some books or play with her stuffed animals. If she is really is distress I'll go in a few times and eventually get her up, but as long as she's not freaking out I keep her in there. Even if she's not napping she's still resting and getting that down time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"