1st Trimester

Preconception dr.'s visit?

: XP on Babies on the Brain

Hey all,

I've been lurking on here for awhile as DH and I are looking forward starting TTC in February. We've been married 2 1/2 years, both graduated from college (although DH's work is paying for him to get his master's which he's doing one night class at a time), and we are totally financially and emotionally ready and excited to start trying for a baby :)

So my question is: how many of you had a preconception appt. with your doctor? And if you did, was it worth it? Or am I better off just waiting till I get a BFP and then calling? I've looked over TB's 'preconception checklist' and I think I can answer all those questions myself other than if I'm at risk for any problems. There's nothing in my family history that would make me concerned but I know that just because you have a good family history doesn't mean you're in  the clear...

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

Re: Preconception dr.'s visit?

• It's worth it if you can get your rubella immunity checked. It's very dangerous to get it in pregnancy, but can only be vaccinated for before or after (not during) pregnancy. Other than that, not necessary.
  • I started charting about 5 months before we began TTC.  After a few months I noticed some things in my charts that I wanted to speak with my Dr about, like low waking temps.  I went for a pre-conception appointment to review my charts.  It was a pretty fast appointment and I felt better about my charting after reviewing it with the Dr.  If I hadn't had specific questions, I probably wouldn't have gone.

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I had my annual. Just said I was gonna try for number two. Doc just said take your prenatal and see me in a year if you aren't pregnant.

IMHO, a "preconception" appointment by itself/separate is unnecessary.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I asked questions at my annual.  I don't think you need a while different appointment.
  • imagetokenhoser:
    It's worth it if you can get your rubella immunity checked. It's very dangerous to get it in pregnancy, but can only be vaccinated for before or after (not during) pregnancy. Other than that, not necessary.

Ditto. I had some questions that I wanted answered as well so I went ahead and made an appointment and she was more than happy to see me and answer all my questions even though I wasn't already an established patient yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Go over the Aug BM board and read the post from the chick who's been around a pertussis outbreak.  If she'd had a preconceptions dr's visit and gotten her vaccines tittered, she wouldn't be having this problem know.  What's your KU it's too late for vaccinating.  
    TTC since Aug 2011, RE since May 2012. Dx: PCOS,endo, postprandial hypoglycemia DH: SA 1 - low everything, 2- low everything, 3 - good, but WBC, 4 - lost and/or damaged at lab, 5 - low everything July - Letrozole + TI = BFN Aug - letrozole #2 + TI = BFN Sep - NEW RE!! YAY!!!! Move to IVF w/ICSI - ER on Nov 28 - 34 eggs! 2 day report - 26 successfully fertilized! 13 of 26 frozen at 3 days. 5dt of 2 best remaining eggs! BFP on HPT 6dp5dt Beta #1 10dp5dt-471 Beta #2 13dp5dt - 1250
  • i called and asked for a preconception appt and the receptionist thought I was insane. She had no idea what it was. I ended up just going in for a PAP test. I don't think it's really necessary TBH.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Thanks for all your input ladies!

I got my annual checkup and pap smear in May so I think I'm good there. BC is just condoms so no issues with going off a pill. And I'm not on any meds or anything so I think I'll just call my regular doc and make sure all my vaccinations are up to date and then call the OB when I get a BFP :)

image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• The issue with rubella isn't being "up to date", it's that some people don't keep immunity as long as others. Only a blood test (which they will very unhelpfully run after you get pg) can tell you if you need a booster.
  • I'm glad you trust the CDC and the study that was done by glaxo-smith-kline, who happens to make vaccines.  Of course they say it's safe to use in pregnant women.  The FDA consider TDaP a Class C drug: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans

So maybe YOU should do a little research.  Additionally, if the other girl had a pre-conception visit, she would know she'd had one in the last 5 years and would have no reason to worry at all.

Furthermore, the bigger concern in pregnant women is rubella, which should definitely be tittered at a preconception visit.  Do your research: even the CDC strongly advises against MMR during pregnancy. 

TTC since Aug 2011, RE since May 2012. Dx: PCOS,endo, postprandial hypoglycemia DH: SA 1 - low everything, 2- low everything, 3 - good, but WBC, 4 - lost and/or damaged at lab, 5 - low everything July - Letrozole + TI = BFN Aug - letrozole #2 + TI = BFN Sep - NEW RE!! YAY!!!! Move to IVF w/ICSI - ER on Nov 28 - 34 eggs! 2 day report - 26 successfully fertilized! 13 of 26 frozen at 3 days. 5dt of 2 best remaining eggs! BFP on HPT 6dp5dt Beta #1 10dp5dt-471 Beta #2 13dp5dt - 1250
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"