Working Moms

WWYD...?

Sorry if this is long.....

So I feel bad posting this b/c just last week I was raving about our in home provider. However, I am kinda ticked off at the moment with her and need some outside opinions.

Our dcp just dropped the ball on us earlier this week that she wants Christmas Eve off. That is fine since DH has it off and can take the girls. I didn't bother taking it off since up until this week, I thought we could take the girls on Christmas Eve. Now, just last night she mentions that she is closing at 3 on New Years Eve and that she will be gone all day, but a high school student has offered to watch any kids until 3pm.

This high school girl has watched DD1 on occassion, but DD1 was older...like 2ish. She has never watched DD2 and it has been awhile since she has watched DD1. DD2 has sleep issues and can be colicky at times so I am worried about what happens if she can't get her to calm down.

There is no way that I or DH can get time off on New Years Eve as we both have jobs which require plenty of notice. I am annoyed at our provider for waiting until the last minute. Would you go ahead and have the high school girl watch them, try and see if a center has an drop in opening or we do have family about 2.5 hours away that might be able to come. It sounds like at this moment, our kids would be the only ones needing daycare that day so apart of me thinks of just having her do it. WWYD?

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: WWYD...?

• Maybe you can look into back up care.  I know some schools allow drop ins.  Our school's rate is $90/day per child.  If that doesn't work out, then you know you can use the teenager.  I think as long as you trust her it would be okay.  ANyone else would have to deal with the colic too.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • I would have the high school student watch the kids.  Only because your in a bind.  I'd also explain to DCP that it is a big inconvenience to you about the short notice she gave you and would ask for more notice next time she is taking a day off. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you know the HS student and feel comfortable, I would go ahead and use her.  If your DD2 has sleep issues, a center or family will have the same issues as the student, and at least your kids will be in a known environment. 

If you want to ask family to come, I'd make a "weekend" of it.  Invite them to come on Sunday and stay through until Tuesday. 

But I'd be having a serious talk w/ your DCP about this.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I think it is absolutely unacceptable that she waited this long to tell you and that she assumed a high school student was an acceptable substitute.  I would be having a big talk with her about this.  I doubt you will find a drop-in center.  Most DC centers are closed from Christmas to New Year anyways.  Go with the high school student this time, but be wary of future holidays.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would let it go, since it is the holidays and you're in a jam. I feel like it's okay to tell your provider nicely that in the future, given the nature of your job, you'd need more  of a heads up if she has to close.
  • imagejf198400:
    I think it is absolutely unacceptable that she waited this long to tell you and that she assumed a high school student was an acceptable substitute.nbsp; I would be having a big talk with her about this.nbsp; I doubt you will find a dropin center.nbsp; Most DC centers are closed from Christmas to New Year anyways.nbsp; Go with the high school student this time, but be wary of future holidays.

Really? Where do you live where this is true?

Our DCP is only closed the 24th, 25th, and Jan. 1. Our old one was like this too. I could never use a DCP that closed for a whole week; that's crazy to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son's DCP is closed Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. I think that's to be expected of all daycares. They're holidays in my opinion, even though my and DH's employers don't consider Christmas Eve a holiday.

I'm miffed because we got a note that said our DCP is closing at 4:00 on New Year's Eve. They usually don't close until 6:00.  Not a major issue, but still 4:00 seems odd.  They will also be closed New Year's Day, as expected.

• imagembenit4:

10 days isn't short notice in my opinion for New Year's. I would have never assumed anything around the holidays. I think you should have asked her plans as soon as November hit.

To a degree, I see your point. 

I just feel with the holidays, you HAVE to put some real thought into it.  The fact that both are on a Tuesday, it makes sense to me that she'd want to close on the Eve's.  But this is something, as a business owner, she should have put more consideration into and made a point to let the parents know WELL before now.

While, sure, the parents could ask her what her plans are if they know they have to work, at the same time, I feel the onus is on her to give them fair warning.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I would have the high school person watch the girls.  I have yet to find drop in care for a child under 2, I would think that its difficult to do that.  And at least they are going to be in a place they know, together. 

And I would talk to your dcp about notice.  Tell her that you need more than a week - or whatever you need.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If it is only for a few hours, use the high schooler. If it is for longer, see if you can find a back up sitter? I use care.com to find sitters and have had a good deal of great ones!
  • Just to clear some things up.

Yes she licensed. However, I don't know what the rules state if the backup needs to be within her license. That will give me something to look up this afternoon. Thanks to whoever brought that up.

What threw us off is that she has always been open on Christmas Eve/New Years Eve. She had mentioned last night that she had "decided to take some time off this year to spend it with her mom". What irked me is that she couldn't have made this decision earlier and let us all know.

I think I am going to just have the high school girl watch her and maybe have a nice discussion about in the future to give us more notice. Thanks ladies for the input.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Live and learn.  If you love her I would express the need to know upfront if possible.  Maybe a lot of the parents are taking their kids out for the day and that is why she decided to close. This might sound a little odd but something like this happened to a friend of mine and she put a note on facebook asking if anyone could help her out and several of her friends jumped at the opportunity so you never know maybe one of your friends can help you out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not sure what you should do, but I think she should have told you long in advance. When I was looking at an in-home, she gave me a schedule of the year and the times she takes off (she takes two weeks in the summer, plus various holidays). You need to be informed and she should have a schedule unless it's an emergency.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • imageNechie122:
    imagejf198400:
    I think it is absolutely unacceptable that she waited this long to tell you and that she assumed a high school student was an acceptable substitute.nbsp; I would be having a big talk with her about this.nbsp; I doubt you will find a dropin center.nbsp; Most DC centers are closed from Christmas to New Year anyways.nbsp; Go with the high school student this time, but be wary of future holidays.
    Really? Where do you live where this is true? Our DCP is only closed the 24th, 25th, and Jan. 1. Our old one was like this too. I could never use a DCP that closed for a whole week; that's crazy to me.

I wish mine was open that much!  Ours is only open the 27th and 28th, then reopens on the 2nd. DH and my mom are teachers, so they have the same schedule luckily.

• We have a yearly calendar given to us, and a week's notice reminder posted on the front door. For Dec 24th and Dec 31st they are only open half days, closed Dec 25th and Jan 1st. Our center does full day K when the district is closed but they aren't giving anyone the option to stay past noon on the half days. When i was 13+ i watched kids all the time. If it is only for a few hours it won't be that bad either....
  • If you have no family as an option I would do the high school student- but have her over 1 or 2's before if you can- there is still time.  That way you can observe her with them- for like an hour or two after work or something.  Maybe she can be a good back up then for other times you need her.

And I agree with the one prior post about planning out your months in advance- I would go up to three months ahead to make sure I was covered. 

• LET IT GO!!!!

You are fortunate to have a home daycare provider that you love so much.

If you want more notice and convenience then go to a center based daycare. In a home setting things happen.... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"