3rd Trimester

Questions to ask Pediatrician

Hi Ladies,

My husband and I have an appointment next week to meet with a pediatrician for our baby that is due in February. Is there any questions you think I should ask besides the obvious ones (hours, availability, feeding, 911 situations ...)?

Thanks Big Smile

Re: Questions to ask Pediatrician

• Something else you can ask is their stance on vaccines, and whether they treat unvaccinated patients or not (my pedi does not, and I am thankful for that).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    Something else you can ask is their stance on vaccines, and whether they treat unvaccinated patients or not my pedi does not, and I am thankful for that.

Wow I didn't think of it like that. I thought for someone who was planning on not vaccinating this , of course, is a must ask question. However, since I plan on vaccinating my LO I didn't think to ask. I would much prefer a pediatrician, like yours, does not. Ill definitely be adding that to my list

• Loading the player...
  • imagea13049:
    imagemabenner1:
    Something else you can ask is their stance on vaccines, and whether they treat unvaccinated patients or not my pedi does not, and I am thankful for that.
    Wow I didn't think of it like that. I thought for someone who was planning on not vaccinating this , of course, is a must ask question. However, since I plan on vaccinating my LO I didn't think to ask. I would much prefer a pediatrician, like yours, does not. Ill definitely be adding that to my list

Great question!! Thank you!! I just had someone at work tell me to ask if they have a seperate well visit waiting room. I never thought of that either.

• If they have more than one office are the records electronic and shared between them?

How liberal are they with prescribing antibiotics? Most doctors will prescribe them for everything even when it's not an infection and they won't help at all thereby helping to create antibiotic resistance.

How far in advance do you need to schedule appointments and how flexible are they with changing if you need to?

One thing I found important was seeing if they actually liked kids. It's not really a question you can ask but more of a feeling you get from just talking to them.

My Blog: Sewing, crafting, motherhood, computers, and random musings... Sleep is for the weak

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would ask about their knowledge/experience with BFing. Like, can they be of help or know where to send you if you need help.

My pediatrician is the most kick-butt pedi I know and he put himself through med school working as an LC. Yes, HE was an LC. This meant that at all of our early newborn visits he was an amazing resource about BFing troubleshooting. Did I mention I love him? He's the best!

• Agree with their views on vaccines and treatment.  This can be a problem depending on YOUR views.  For example, we wanted to spread out vaccines a little.  Our pedi has no problem with this - my friend's office does not allow it.  I am also very anti-antibiotic (unless really, truly needed), and my pedi agrees and understands that you only prescribe it for a BACTERIAL infection.  My friend's pedi gave her LO a prescription for a runny nose type cold, even told her it was viral.  Needless to say my friend now goes to my pedi because she was so upset over this.

So I think you have to make a list of what's important to you and see how it falls in line with the pedi's ways. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also asked about well visit separation, as some pedis around here will do well visits only in the morning when the room had already been cleaned.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I never realized how happy I would be that our pediatrician has Saturday office hours. They also offer a lactation consultant, which is a nice perk.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"