Working Moms

Gave my two weeks....vent

Gave my 2 weeks notice at my current job yesterday and today they told me they were not going to let me finish it out! Ugh I'm so mad or maybe my feeling are hurt. I'm not really sure what I'm feeling.  I know this is a pretty common thing but in the 3 years I've been there I've never seen them do it to anyone.  In fact only 3 weeks ago they let someone finish out their notice. 

I live in Ohio which is I'm pretty sure is an 'at will' employment state so I'm sure its legal but what is the point of giving a notice? 

It just stinks that we are down to one (very modest) income for the next 3 weeks

Re: Gave my two weeks....vent

• I HATE when employers do that! You gave them the courtesy of giving them a 2 week heads up instead of just up and quitting one day. They least they could do is offer the same regard! I'm sorry!! I hope you enjoy your time though!!!

Side note... are you starting a new job?? Maybe you could see if you could start earlier?

• I am scheduled to start my new job Jan 7.  I have thought about asking if I could start sooner I just feel like that would be way difficult with all the holidays.  And I know there is one other person starting with me so they can do our training class at the same time.  But I guess the worst they can say is no. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.
  • Loading the player...
  • If OH is anything like MI, you may be able to claim unemployment for those two weeks. You may have provided notice, but you were willing to work for two more weeks. I would argue they technically terminated your employment.
  • imagehoneybee102683:
    If OH is anything like MI, you may be able to claim unemployment for those two weeks. You may have provided notice, but you were willing to work for two more weeks. I would argue they technically terminated your employment.

I had this happen at 2 different positions, for security reasons they wouldn't let people work the 2 weeks, but I was always paid for it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm 99% sure they will not be paying me.  I have called our corporate HR department to try and find out but have not received a call back. 

• More time with your family during the holidays :)
  • I still have no heard back from HR as to if I will or will not be paid for the rest of my two weeks so I just filed for unemployment.  But now I'm freaking out that I'm defrauding them.  There wasn't an option for "I put in my 2 week notice and then they told me to leave" for why you were seperated. AHHH! I'm such a worrier but I'm more worried as to how all the bills will get paid without my $ coming in.

• That happened me in the past, but they paid me out my two weeks even though I was told not to come back.
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary

• I used to work in HR and federal law states that if the company doesn't allow you for work out your notice they MUST pay you for it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There are certain jobs that won't let you finish your two weeks--sales is one of them.  I have always gotten paid.  I'm pretty sure you will be too.  You should be getting a check in the mail soon.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"