High-Risk Pregnancy

Weeks of contractions - HELP

So I am a FTM, almost 42 y/o, 3 prior miscarriages and now 31w2d.

I have been in the hospital 4 times for contractions.  2 times 2 weeks ago, and 2 times this week (last time today).

Today they were anywhere from 1.5 min to 4 min apart at the hospital.  So they are getting closer together the longer I am pregnant.  Usually when I get home from the hospital they subside for a few days.  I got home today at 2pm and they started back up consistently at 7pm tonight.

1st time, all tests came back normal.  2nd time, they found BV so I was on Flagyl for a week.  3rd and 4th time all tests came back normal.  FFN tests all 4 times came back negative.  I am NOT dehydrated.  They do not hurt.

Today they gave me terbutaline.  It stopped them immediately for about 15 min then the contractions were smaller and about 10 min apart and my doc released me from the hospital.... but they are back, but 8-10 min apart.

Cervix is still closed, thick and high.

Have any of you experienced A LOT of contractions that they cannot pinpoint or they did pinpoint a reason?  My doctor actually told me on Monday that some of her "thinner" patients have contractions due to a more sensitive cervix... doesnt sound right to me!

3 angel babies; m/c 2009, 2010, 2011. Our little blessing is due February 2013. Lilypie Maternity tickers image

Re: Weeks of contractions - HELP

• I was admitted at 27 weeks with the same sort of thing. Contractions were 1-2 min apart, but not in PTL either. Mine was related to a degenerating fibroid, dehydration, and extreme constipation (take your pick). 

Sorry there's no clear answer for why this is happening. I agree with PP, you need to take it easy. My contractions also came on after working a string of 12 hour night shifts. I went to turn a patient and he went into a lethal dysrhythmia. They started then. 3 days later I was admitted. 

Remember, you're getting closer every day, and stay focused on the mile stones. I've celebrated each week I'm closer to term. I never thought I would get here with all of my risks. Hang in there and let us know how it goes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good luck. Prayers that they stop and you can make it to full term relatively easily.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been dealing with a similar issue. I have non stress testing 2 x's per weeka and everytime the nurses see that I am contracting 2-6 minutes apart. They checked me a couple of weeks ago and I was 1cm and 60% effaced. They gave me terbutaline which did nothing and sent me home on nifedipine which is also not helping. They just told me that this is just what some people do. It is not fun at all. I am so sick of constantly contracting but nothing seems to help stop them... not even bedrest. I hope everything works out for you and your baby stays put!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you DC... It is so nice to hear that DS made it to 38w2d!!!  That gives me so much hope.  I guess I will just have to learn how to handle the frustration... but that will be easier knowing the last few posters had no real reason either...  Good luck to you too!
    3 angel babies; m/c 2009, 2010, 2011. Our little blessing is due February 2013. Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • My doctor hasn't even mentioned non stress testing.  I hear ya on the bedrest not even stopping them, two of the four times I went into the hospital I started timing them before I even got out of bed in the morning.  Thank you for your reply, I was starting to question my doctors competence when she would say that some people just have them... didnt make sense to me as I am quite analytical.  Thanks!
  • imagefaithful4u:
    My doctor hasn't even mentioned non stress testing.  I hear ya on the bedrest not even stopping them, two of the four times I went into the hospital I started timing them before I even got out of bed in the morning.  Thank you for your reply, I was starting to question my doctors competence when she would say that some people just have them... didnt make sense to me as I am quite analytical.  Thanks!

My non stress testing is actually because the baby is growth restricted not because of the contractions. I know it sucks to get them constantly especially for no good reason. Good luck to you!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I had the same thing happen to me when I was 33w4d with my first. I was having contractions every 5 minutes or so for over 2 hours along with excruciating back pain when I went to the hospital. I had to have two doses of terbutaline and was released. My cervix was thick high and closed and my FFN was also negative. The back pain never really went away and the contractions didn't come back with that frequency although I had a lot of BH each day. I was worked up for kidney stones and a kidney infection, all negative. A week and a half later I woke up to the terrible back pain again but no contractions, later that morning my water randomly broke and I went into full blown later, this was only a week and a half after the whole first ordeal and negative FFN. They never found a reason for my ptl and just said I had an irritable uterus.
    I've had a lot of BH this pregnancy as well but am on progesterone so they're not that bad. I hope your LO stays a little longer!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"