Toddlers: 24 Months+

Would you hold off?

We are trying to potty train DS (2yrs7months) and we are having a hard time.  He shows all the signs of readiness, so we figured we'd try.  We know he has control of it as he's held it most of today.  He didn't pee until 11:30 this morning, then had 2 accidents in a row.  He wore a diaper for nap and hasn't peed since he woke up.  He pooped twice during nap (he holds it until nap/night time - usually early morning right after he wakes before we get up).  Since we aren't around during his nap, he sits in his poop and doesn't tell us (when he does poop while not napping, he asks us to change his diaper).  He has had more rashes in the last few months than he ever did before and he will cry when we change him if it happens.

I feel like he is ready to get trained, but we're having no luck.  I've tried charts, stickers, m&ms, suckers, Thomas stuff, clapping, singing/dancing, we have the singing potty... nothing is working.  We talk to him about how big boys pee in the potty and he LOVES sitting on it.  He always asks to go when we go. 

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do??  I'm at a loss as to what will motivate him.   Should I just hold off? 

TIA!  I know there is a potty board, but no one is posting or responding, so I figured I'd try here.  

Preston!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Would you hold off?

• Google three day potty training.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • That's what we've been doing (except I'm keeping pants on because it's cold)... and he's just holding it.
    Preston!
  • Loading the player...
  • IMO he doesn't sound ready It's NOT a good thing for him to learn how to hold give it a break for a few weeks then try again
  • Physically ready and mentally ready do not always happen at the same time.

I'd work on having him not sit in his poop and telling you when he needs to be cleaned, as that's a medical/health issue.  Leave the where he poops until he's mentally ready too. (Just my opinion - we have a daughter who is physically ready to potty train, but not mentally ready.) 

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAmericanInOz:
    IMO he doesn't sound ready It's NOT a good thing for him to learn how to hold give it a break for a few weeks then try again

This may sound dumb, but isn't holding it showing that he has control of it?  I'm so lost when it comes to potty training... gah!

Preston!
  • imageTiffanyBerry:

Physically ready and mentally ready do not always happen at the same time.

I'd work on having him not sit in his poop and telling you when he needs to be cleaned, as that's a medical/health issue.  Leave the where he poops until he's mentally ready too. (Just my opinion - we have a daughter who is physically ready to potty train, but not mentally ready.) 

We've been working on this too.  For a while he would call us, but now it's gotten to the point where he doesn't usually call us.  And about 50% of the time he does call us, he hasn't pooped.  He's just learned that we'll come in during nap time (he's fighting this right now).

I'm thinking we'll just take a break for a bit.  I'm thinking about getting Lora Jensen's eBook and getting a bit more information.  Maybe he'll be ready in a few months.  It's just hard to see him in pain and it feels like he is developmentally there.  We'll just keep encouraging his use of the potty, but not push it.  He does seem to enjoy sitting on the potty, so at least we have that going for us.

Preston!
  • We have been having a similar problem with DD1. She was all about PT at 18 months, before I had DD2, and then bam, we are closing in on 3 and she still wants to wear a diaper to school and not pee on the potty there. Whenever we are at home, she wants to pee on the big potty, and she has pooped on it, she has even gone the whole day with only panties on and no accident. I think she has a mental block about school because one her teachers is soooo forceful about potty training. I really do believe if you try before they are ready, LO will fight it, and it will just take longer. If your son is digging his heels in, maybe you need to ease up for a while, and let him call the shots for now. I don't have a real answer for you, but I know what you are going through. I think I am more laid back right now because I have another child in diapers, so I might be more pushy with getting DD2 out of diapers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would hold off and try again later. Also, potty training doesn't have to be all or nothing. If he asks to use the potty, put him on it. Both my girls started potty training while wearing diapers. They told me they had to go potty, and we put them on the potty. We didn't always make it in time, but it was a good no pressure way to start. We moved to pull ups for ease of use when they started using the potty more, and moved to undies when they were consistently using the potty.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"