May 2011 Moms

Suspicious daycare

So here's the background. LO has always stayed with grandma while I go to work. Well, sadly my mom moved last month which leads to....daycare. For the month of November and beginning of December we had to try several daycares and it seemed like it didn't work for them or us so on to the next.... She has ended up being with a friend since last week. 

We finally found someone we thought would be perfect. Small in home daycare which is pretty common around here since the major daycares are always full. Anyways, she seems nice enough. The problem is LO's change in behavior lately. For one, she has always loved bath time. She would stay in there all night if I let her! But the last couple nights she screams bloody murder and literally claws her way out of the tub. Is this something anyone else would be concerned about? I haven't talked to the daycare yet since I just thought she was tired the first time is happened. But when it happened again today I became concerned. Second, she is absolutely starving when she comes home. Normally we have dinner around 6:30 and we have to start getting dinner ready the second we walk in the door because she is so hungry. Last, she is no longer sleeping at night. She is waking up every 1-2 hours just screaming almost like she is scared. DH thinks I am overreacting and just says to calm down and wait it out.  Help....

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Suspicious daycare

• Those can all be completely normal things. You also stated you've been moving her around quite a bit since November. Unfortunately, such inconsistencies in her life could trigger some emotional upset. The tub fear is normal, she could be going through a growth spurt in regards to her appetite, her sleep disruptions could be teething. I wouldn't automatically assume the worst.

I hope you find a place soon you're both comfortable with so you can stop switching up her routine so much.  

DS 6.12.11

Hypermenorrhea, Anovulatory & Hypothyroid

TTC#2

My Lack of Ovulation Chart
  • Each are normal... Alone but is be worried about all of them popping up together.
    I'd ask how things are going. And send an extra snack along.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image image image image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not going to lie, it would really worry me, too. That doesn't mean that there's any connection to the daycare and, as kerr said, it could just be the moving from place to place that has her worked up.

However, does your new daycare have an open door policy? If so, I would put it to use and just go check on her once or twice in the next few weeks to see whether there's any reason to be concerned. As for the snack - I'd ask what time they get an afternoon snack. This past weekend DD was eating like a bottomless pit, which is really unusual for her, and I assume it was just a growth spurt. It could be that something like that is just coinciding with the new DC.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I agree these could all be normal things  - you might have to wait it out and see.

It took DS an entire month to adjust well to daycare, including some different behaviors at home. Now he loves it, and I am so happy that I feel so at peace leaving him there.

Could the bath be too hot? DS started doing this a long time ago, and we realized that water was too warm for him (same temp it had always been - he'd just gotten more sensitive). Now that we make it room temp he's back to loving it. Remember too if they have cold feet or legs, even lukewarm water feels hot. 

Give it some time to even out - but I do agree with going in to check randomly. If the daycare is not open to that, its not ok. 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well ladies, we took our first normal bath today. I tried to talk to daycare about eating and mentioned that I packed some of DD favorite snacks and she got pretty offended. Hopefully that isn't a sign of what is to come! 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJoy1192:
    Well ladies, we took our first normal bath today. I tried to talk to daycare about eating and mentioned that I packed some of DD favorite snacks and she got pretty offended. Hopefully that isn't a sign of what is to come! 

Why in the world would she get offended by that?? I could understand if she explained to you that she didn't use outside snacks because then not every kid would be getting the same and other kids might want what your DD is having and refuse their snack, etc, but being offended? I don't know. I'd keep an eye on things.

I'm the product of years of in-home daycares and had very mixed experiences from absolutely fabulous (we're still friends with the family to this day but eventually the mom went back to work so I had to go somewhere else) to pretty horrendous. There are really excellent people out there and something like this would be a red flag to me. Not enough to make me switch immediately, but definitely to keep a closer eye on things.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"