Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Comments/criticism

FTM here and we are visiting my husbands family for the holidays. His 80 year old grandmother has made comments about my LO referencing spoiling the baby because she is sleeping in our bed. LO was crying for awhile and she said in a baby voice to her that shes is mostly good. Criticized that I'm formula feeding and goes on and on about how things were in her day. She's 80, we are staying in her home. Do I just brush it off? Wwud?

Re: Comments/criticism

• I'd get your "mmmm" on, as in responding, "Mmmmm......  interesting" to every. single. comment.  Without fail.  She'll be hamstrung from arguing.  Continue doing whatever is working for you, Mom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTheEditor:
    I'd get your "mmmm" on, as in responding, "Mmmmm......  interesting" to every. single. comment.  Without fail.  She'll be hamstrung from arguing.  Continue doing whatever is working for you, Mom.

yep, pretty much this.  Have fun! :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you all.

Interesting....
    That's something to consider....
    We are happy with our decision...

Lord have mercy, anyone else have any respectful, deflecting responses to comments, advice, criticisms about your child rearing?
  • Exactly what PPs have said. Smile and nod. Most of these people like to argue, and like to be right. Don't let them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ive had this. I got to the point where I yelled at the person to shut up or leave my house. Sorry, but Ive had it with the critisism.
  • Brush it off.  Shes 80.

• For 1, yes I'd rub it off since she is 80.

My MIL is this way also she thinks it's weird I breastfeed as she formula fed all her 3. She tells me step by step what her kids were or were not doing and by what age. Like by 3month no more paci, by 1 year no more bottle, by 6mon sleeping by themselves through out the night yada yada yada. Like I give a sh*t.

Everyone can only give you their advice wanted or not based off their own experiences. I think they try to help and/or like to think or dramatize how great of a mom they were. If that makes sense.

My mom will do it too, and I know how things were when I was growing up so w/ her i'll usually set the record straight. W/ MIL or other folks I do the "mmmm" interesting thing also, cause it's not showing you agree nor is it giving them a chance to rebuttle (sp?)

Also, I noticed i'll be "that" person sometimes too and when I notice it i'll try and change the subject lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"