Pre-School and Daycare

How many gifts from Santa?

When I was little we got all of our gifts from Santa and my mom said it was always a problem that we didn't understand why we couldn't ask for a million things.  I thought I would nip this by telling DS that he gets 1 (the most desired/ special) from Santa and then he can ask us for a few more things.  Well, my friend told me that they do this and her daughter came home from kindergarten asking why she only gets one gift from Santa and a bunch of her friends get numerous gifts.  She was crying and asking if Santa didn't love her as much  Sad

So, my question... how many gifts are from "Santa" and if you only do 1 how would you answer this question from your child? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How many gifts from Santa?

• 1 gift from Santa.. 4 gifts from us (want/need/wear/read). We talked about how some children get more than others and what matters is that Santa brought the one thing you had been hoping for.

It drives me NUTS how materialistic this holiday has become. I am so thankful that we donate gifts for several families and learn what it means to give back! 

• Each family is different with their gift giving.

While we don't believe in filling up a whole couch per child (I've seen this!), we usually get a few, maybe 4-5 gifts from Santa and of of those will be from us.

DH and I shop together to pick out toys for DS.  I believe in getting him something he "needs," like for example I want to get him a bike this year to help strengthen his leg muscles.   He has a tricycle from his grandparents but its at their house and he is rarely there...so...

Also he is into pretend play, and I LOVE the Melissa & Doug pretend toys!  DH is more into the "fun toys" and helps pick those out - hot wheel stuff... 

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • All of the gifts are from Santa. If we tell DD g-ma bought her x toy she would still think it's from Santa. When she gets older we will try to differentiate it a little more.
  • Santa brings the main gift (or a theme). Last year he got an Innotab and a couple of cartridges. This year he's getting a Lego table and a set of Legos. Everything else is from us.

I have a feeling DS' belief in Santa won't last much longer. He is very logical and I can already see cracks forming, so I'm not sure this question will ever come up.

If it came to it, though, I would probably tell him something about Santa collaborating with the parents on who gives what. "Well, I told Santa I already bought you x, y and z, so he was only left with a, b and c to choose from".

• Santa brings one gift plus stocking stuffers. This year Santa is also brining a book and dvd. I got books for everyone and wrapped from Santa. Truthfully I think I went a little bit overboard. We got DD 4 gifts that are from us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depends.  This is the 1st year that DS really understands the concept of Santa, so we had him do a letter to Santa and he asked for 6 things.  We got him 4 things out of the list and some other things that we think DS would like, so a total of 6 gifts from Santa, and a total of 6 gifts from us (Mom & Dad)

• One big gift from Santa plus stocking stuffers which are half fun and half practical (goldfish, bouncy balls, toothbrush, socks). This year DS is getting a remote control truck from Santa and DD is getting a doll stroller and doll. We have 3-4 other gifts from us plus the kids picked one thing for each other.

The notion of one gift from Santa probably won't be discussed until after Christmas if it comes up.

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Santa brings one gift(the most wanted) and fills their stockings. Then they have 6 gifts from us and one from each other.

As another poster said, I would explain that some parents can't buy as much for their kids so Santa brings them more presents. We have talked about less fortunate kids and we buy and donate toys to families in need. We also purge their toys before every birthday and Christmas and donate all toys that are still in great shape. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • This is DD's first year really understanding the concept of Santa. I plan on having 1 gift from Santa and the rest from us.

I'm not totally sure how I would answer the question in the OP though. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• DD1 is in 1st grade, and as far as I know, she's never compared Santa gifts with her classmates.

We generally do a couple gifts from Santa and a few from us. It kind of depends on the gift. One year Santa brought a train table, so that was her only gift from him. This year both girls are getting Our Generation dolls. I also bought the carriers for them and a couple extra outfits. I'm planning to put everything in the carrier. They will also get matching doll and girl pajamas from Santa. And they get a stocking every year.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I'll admit that we go overboard on Christmas for both kids. They each have 1-2 "bigger" gifts from Santa and then a ton of little stuff (smaller board games, coloring books, books etc). And then 1-2 gifts from us. It can turn out to be a lot bu we literally don't buy anything for them throughout the year except for Christmas and birthdays and always donate gifts to families through our church so they're hopefully learning about giving back

• imagess+el:

Santa brings the main gift (or a theme). Last year he got an Innotab and a couple of cartridges. This year he's getting a Lego table and a set of Legos. Everything else is from us.

I have a feeling DS' belief in Santa won't last much longer. He is very logical and I can already see cracks forming, so I'm not sure this question will ever come up.

If it came to it, though, I would probably tell him something about Santa collaborating with the parents on who gives what. "Well, I told Santa I already bought you x, y and z, so he was only left with a, b and c to choose from".

I like this!  Thanks everyone. 

• We do the one big gift from Santa but he also puts a few smaller things in her stocking. I would talk about not every body gets the same things from Santa and that the gift that she got was pretty great.  Maybe those kids got smaller things so they got a few more...?  It's amazing how they think at this age.  We wanted her to know that some gifts come from Mom and Dad too.
  • We open our presents from each other on Christmas Eve and there are just a few from us under the tree. Then Christmas morning they open their Santa presents...which are a whole lot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"