March 2013 Moms

Leggings/fashion help needed

So for Christmas Eve church (and then hopefully Christmas Day) I was going to wear a dress: black, short-sleeve, faux-wrap, knee-length in that stretchy material that is sort of like spandex. I planned on wearing a sparkly cardigan with it and something on my legs (leggings or tights) with flats.  

My sister, who is younger and more fashionable, said leggings was the way to go--and this excited me because the thought of looking cute but being comfy (like in pajamas!) is super appealing.  So I order maternity leggings from Old Navy (Gap has none online) even though reviews were mixed. They arrived yesterday and are ridiculous! 4 inches too short, baggy at the knees and big enough to fit my belly but won't pull up that high. Ugh!

So, back to square one. Any brands of leggings you recommend? I'm thinking maybe a non-maternity pair that will go under my belly. Or are tights a better idea? I really like the idea of bare feet though, hate lounging in tights.  My shopping options are: Walmart, Shopko, Macy's, Ross, Old Navy.

Thanks for reading this non-pressing issue of mine! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Leggings/fashion help needed

• I just got two pairs of black tights from Destination Maternity & I love em.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a pair from Motherhood which are ok. I am 5' 8" and have smalls which are perfect length-wise, but the material is just thin. They are full panel which I like. I have gray ones from Gap which I like better as they are much thicker, but the demi panel is not my favorite.

ETA: If you are doing leggings under a dress, I think a shorter hemline is necessary. Dresses to the knees can look frumpy with leggings. I have a black mat sweaterdress from ON and I think it looks frump with leggings. Patterned tights would be perfect.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a pair from a pea in the pod and love them. They're extremely comfortable and not baggy. And I also agree with pp that patterned rights would be really cute too. Although I don't know what the selection is in maternity.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think opaque black tights would look better with what you are describing.  I got mine from destination maternity for $18.  I didn't like the leggings they had there because they were also too baggy on me.  I don't think leggings look great with a knee length dress because they cut off the length of your leg at your ankle.  Leggings are cuter in my opinion when you wear them with something shorter like a tunic or long cardi, as long as you are covering your behind.  A knee length black dress would look nice with opaque black tights and if you have a pair of black heeled booties to pair with that your legs will look really long.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have the motherhood leggings, and I agree that they're a bit too thin.  I also bought a pair at Target, and they're great.  I'd definitely recommend them. 
  • I would say black tights would be more approprate.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I know it's hit-and-miss, but I just bought a pair of leggings from Ross last night and they were only $6.99 (maternity section). They are stretchy, not see-through, and fit very well!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought tights at motherhood maternity. They had ones ranging from $8-18 but I bought the more $$ ones because the others seemed like they would be pretty thin. I'm really happy with the ones I have.
  • motherhood maternity was adorable!! and so comfortable!
  • I agree with the motherhood maternity leggings.  I love them!  I personally would wear tights if I were you with your dress.  I found a pair of maternity tights at Gap and they fit great!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have 3 pair of leggings from Gap online. I love them! They are so comfy. I also have maternity tights that I bought on Amazon. They fit well but they are not near as comfortable as leggings. 
  • Thanks, everyone!!  I appreciate the help. And you're right, tights do look better (I squeezed into some regular tights of mine to check).  Now I just have to find some! (I am guessing I can't get any shipped in time and as you saw, my shopping choices are limited). Worse comes to worse, I can survive in the tights I own for an hour or two.

So I think I will wear the dress and tights for Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas day, just go jeans, tank and cute cardigan. I liked the idea of wearing the dress if I could wear leggings but I HATE walking around in either shoes or with tights on and no shoes. We're pretty casual so it should work. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have bought leggings from H & M that are not maternity, but they work perfectly and are so comfy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you are still wanting to get leggings, I recommend Old Navy's maternity leggings- I have a pair and they are super comfy.  They are below the belly but they stay up fine on me and I love them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • I have been wearing black leggings to work a lot lately with my cute boots. I've just been wearing the mossimo or xhilaraition brand from Target. They're like $8 and super comfy. Buy a few pairs in different colors. I just roll the band down a little to fit under my belly. LOVE.
    BabyFruit Ticker *Brianna*
  • I actually have been wearing my non maternity leggings. They feel better than the maternity ones for some reason. Im not super big even though I am 28 weeks but they still fit so I figured I'd keep wearing them. That probably doesn't help much but if you have leggings already try them on before you purchase maternity ones just to see.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• imageCougFan:
    Thanks, everyone!! nbsp;I appreciate the help. And you're right, tights do look better I squeezed into some regular tights of mine to check. nbsp;Now I just have to find some! I am guessing I can't get any shipped in time and as you saw, my shopping choices are limited. Worse comes to worse, I can survive in the tights I own for an hour or two.So I think I will wear the dress and tights for Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas day, just go jeans, tank and cute cardigan. I liked the idea of wearing the dress if I could wear leggings but I HATE walking around in either shoes or with tights on and no shoes. We're pretty casual so it should work.nbsp;

Old Navy maternity tights are heavenly! They are full panel.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• The Old Navy ones are FAB! With a cute tunic, it will look super cute. 
    •  Target has some amazingly comfortable ones, I practically live in them. I have the Capri ones and the ankle length. They aren't thick but are seamless and soft
    This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards
    "
    "