3rd Trimester

Tdap vaccine for the second time?

I had the TDap vaccine around 2 years ago after my son was born (at the time I was told I couldn't have it while pregnant). Now they are telling me I should get it again so baby will have some immunity to it. But I'm nervous to get it again - it's barely been 2 years. Anyone else's doctor recommend them to get it again if they've already had it? After ds was born everyone around him got the vaccine (me, dh and all grandparents) so everyone around baby will be protected. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tdap vaccine for the second time?

• My doctor said they were good for at least 7 years and did not recommend I get it again for me or the baby.

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The CDC has recommended that all pregnant women get the vaccine due to the pertussis epidemic. This way some of the antibodies can be passed through you to the baby before birth. As long as it wasn't less than a year ago they recommend you get another Tdap.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I got mine today at my daughter's pediatrician office while we were there to see her.  Like PP said, it recommended all women get the vaccine during each pregnancy even if you have had it before.  I read an article on it that was released this month while I was there.
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • every 5 years is what I was told
  • I was told the pertussis part doesn't last very long so to get it again
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Hm, I'm surprised at these answers. I too got it after my son was born and my doc said I did not need to get it again this time.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My dr just brought this up to me and said the new recommendation is for a woman to get it every pregnancy. However she did say she recommends that I get it in the hospital not before the baby is born, but she said its up to me and that there are several different opinions on TDAP.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageanneimal98:
    Hm, I'm surprised at these answers. I too got it after my son was born and my doc said I did not need to get it again this time.

That's what I was told by my MWs.

I am planning to BF as I did last time, that would provide some protection right? 

• My dr and pediatrician are absolutely against getting it while pg.  The amount of aluminum in the vaccine can be very harmful to the baby since it goes straight thru the umbilical cord to baby.  My dr recommends me getting it before I leave the hospital but after the baby is born.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"