Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Anyone told they most likely would have ds baby and didn't?

I've been told there's a very strong chance of baby have ds. (the baby has about 4 markers with the heart defect being a huge one) I opted out of the amnio and blood test and will just be waiting the three months till I deliver. Just curious to hear if any other mamas were in my situation?TIA!!!

Re: Anyone told they most likely would have ds baby and didn't?

• This didn't happen to me, but I've known two families who were told that it was likely that their baby had Downs' Syndrome and then they didn't.  Of those, one had a healthy, "normal" baby, and the other baby didn't have Downs' but had other significant health concerns. 

I have an uncle and a cousin with Downs' and their are the joy and the light in our family.  I am a blessed person indeed to have them in my life. I wish you well in the coming months of waiting and also wish you and your family the best--whatever outcome that may be.  :)

• You might contact your local down syndrome association group. I'm active with ours (I'm a pediatric SLP) and they've helped several people that were told of the diagnosis prenatally. Most of which ended up having a child with DS, while several others did not.

Again, whatever the outcome- this child will be a blessing.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • When my mother-in-law was pregnant she was told that her son had DS and she should terminate after the u/s, as he had almost every marker.  She denied amnio and after quite a bit of thought continued the pregnancy. Neither of her children had DS. I agree with previous poster - contact the local associations just in case, if it turns out to be true, they will be a great help.
  • I was told I might have a baby with ds because of one marker (she had a thick nuchal fold) and I had a healthy baby girl October 26. I did do research throughout my pregnancy after I though out so if she did have ds I would know the best way to raise her and get her in some programs ect. The research made me feel a lot better and more prepared either way.
  • I've actually had the opposite happen.  We didn't have the amnio test, but the nuclear test was normal and all the heart monitoring didn't show a problem.  LO was born Thanksgiving Day, and doctors started hinting at Down's and confirmed she had the heart defect typical for Down's.  LO was in the NICU for monitoring and we were stuck there 5 days until the geneticist could sign off on her and the bloodwork could be drawn to do the chromosomal test.  In the first week after being discharged, we saw the geneticist, pediatrician, and cardiologist.  At some point we also need to see the pulmonologist.  
  • They noticed at my 20 week ultrasound that he had a thicker than normal nuchal fold and I had a repeat U/S at 24 weeks to look at it again and it was fine.  He was born perfectly healthy.

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything but, please don't say Down Syndrome baby.  It would be that the baby HAS Down Syndrome.  And it's not Down's or Downs, it's Down Syndrome.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"