International Bumpies

GD screening outside of US?

Are they as hyper-vigilant about GD screening outside of the US?

I'm in the US but didn't pass my first glucose test, and am really on the fence about letting them do the 2nd one. I'm not overweight and I'm trying to avoid any extra monitoring or interventions. Either way I'm now watching what I eat. Thanks!

My Mommy (to be) Blog: http://maitrimama.blogspot.com BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: GD screening outside of US?

• Here in Germany they did it very similarly as in the states. If you pass the one hour (I did) then you don't have to do the three hour.

At first, I thought I failed, as I got a 139 (and in the states, I think my girlfriends said the cut off was 130?) but then I realized they gave me more glucose than what they give in the US.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I had to request one in the UK
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Canada: it was your choice. I think if you are high risk or obese they highly encourage you to do it.

UK: again, your choice but they say they require women that have a BMI of 30 or more to do it. 

If you don't want to take it again talk to your doc about options. You could start monitoring your blood sugars yourself with a blood glucose monitor.

• By hyper-vigilant do you mean do they do the tests and then follow up if there might be a problem? Because that's what you're saying happened to you. And the answer is yes.

In Germany my OBs (I've had 2) haven't even bothered with the 1 hour screening- they just go straight to the 2 hour diagnostic test. 

GD can have serious consequences for your baby. Before you decide not to take the second test because you want to avoid extra monitoring or interventions, read up on the possible complications if it's left untreated and then make your decision. Personally, I would do the second test and then adjust my diet accordingly if necessary.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• imagebandwife:

Canada: it was your choice. I think if you are high risk or obese they highly encourage you to do it.

UK: again, your choice but they say they require women that have a BMI of 30 or more to do it. 

If you don't want to take it again talk to your doc about options. You could start monitoring your blood sugars yourself with a blood glucose monitor.

Where in Canada is it optional?  Anybody I know who had been pregnant has had to do the test, starting with the one hour and then the 3 hour if you fail.  Treatment may be different I don't know.  I've never failed the one hour so I have no experience with it, but I do know that it is a tes that they send everyone too if you are in a OB practice.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• My doctor here orders 2 hour screening.  A blood test to start, drink, blood test after an hour, blood test after a second hour. You also have to go in after fasting.

I didn't fail with DD so I don't know what they would do if you did. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • imagedhviel:
    imagebandwife:

Canada: it was your choice. I think if you are high risk or obese they highly encourage you to do it.

Where in Canada is it optional?  Anybody I know who had been pregnant has had to do the test, starting with the one hour and then the 3 hour if you fail.  Treatment may be different I don't know.  I've never failed the one hour so I have no experience with it, but I do know that it is a tes that they send everyone too if you are in a OB practice.

I had my first with MWs in BC. My MWs said it was my choice to do the test (which I did and passed).

I had no extra risk factors for GD - perhaps that's why they said it was my choice? 

Moved to the UK a year and a half ago and I declined doing the GD test this time.

• My ob sent me for the 1 hour here as standard (in Australia), since I pass I didn't have to do the 3 hour
  • imagebandwife:
    imagedhviel:
    imagebandwife:

I had my first with MWs in BC. My MWs said it was my choice to do the test (which I did and passed).

I had no extra risk factors for GD - perhaps that's why they said it was my choice? 

Moved to the UK a year and a half ago and I declined doing the GD test this time.

Ah yes with a MW it would be optional. Unfortunately I do not have the option of a midwife as there are no registered midwives in my area, so I have to go to a family doctor/OB and in that case it is a required test.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagedhviel:
    imagebandwife:

It's not in AB. Going back 16 years, it's always been part of the regular testing.

OP, GD isn't a joke, I'd go for the second screen. It could come back negative, and that the end of it, or if it's positive, they can keep an eye on you and lo. I'm pretty on board with NBC and minimal interventions, but this is something is want checked out. The test is nbd, just a time suck.

• imagemrscjmb9410:
    imagebandwife:

I'm in the UK [Hertfordshire, England], with a BMI of 30, and I did not have to do the GD test. I had blood drawn to test different things (including random sugars) at ~13wks and ~27weeks. I was told if there was an issue with those screenings they would recommend the GD test but I wouldn't have to drink the glucose, they would let me drink 500mL of Coca-Cola and eat some sweets. 

OP: Look into the Brewer Diet. (www.blueribbonbaby.org). I think it really helped me assess my pregnancy nutrition - I didn't follow the diet strictly, but did try to eat more protein than I typically would.

I'm on the Isle of Man. They follow NHS guidelines but I'm sure there is some variation from OB/MW to OB/MW.

The BMI 30 benchmark is what the resident OB told me around 20 weeks. I'm below 30, don't have risk factors, tested negative last time and already follow close to a GD diet so didn't bother with the test.

• imagegimmietimmies:
    imagedhviel:
    imagebandwife:

It's not in AB. Going back 16 years, it's always been part of the regular testing.

OP, GD isn't a joke, I'd go for the second screen. It could come back negative, and that the end of it, or if it's positive, they can keep an eye on you and lo. I'm pretty on board with NBC and minimal interventions, but this is something is want checked out. The test is nbd, just a time suck.

I was in BC and being seen by MWs. It was 2009. 

So yes, I should have clarified that it will vary from province to province and if you are seeing an OB or MWs.

• they didn't even check mine in brazil! they checked my urine and blood for glucose, but not the test they do in the US.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it really varies by OB not country.
    With DD I did it around 26w I think.
    With DS I had urine tests every month and blood work once per trimester which included glycemic index. As I had neither protein in my urine or high glycemic index my OB did not order a GTT. It's covered by NHS though as a standardized test.
  • I get my urine tested at every appointment but never have done a GD test in Denmark and this is my second pregnancy.  
  • imagebandwife:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imagedhviel:
    imagebandwife:

So yes, I should have clarified that it will vary from province to province and if you are seeing an OB or MWs.

That is a huge difference then, your midwives and ours are in two different ballparks. I wouldn't touch ours witha ten foot pole (except the nurse midwives I had in our area were trained in England and not at a six week course, they were the rns in my deliveries, love!). I didn't use OBs, just family drs, low risk. I suppose you could have declined the GDntesting, but they would transfer care to an ob. No thanks.
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    imagebandwife:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imagedhviel:
    imagebandwife:

That is a huge difference then, your midwives and ours are in two different ballparks. I wouldn't touch ours witha ten foot pole (except the nurse midwives I had in our area were trained in England and not at a six week course, they were the rns in my deliveries, love!). I didn't use OBs, just family drs, low risk. I suppose you could have declined the GDntesting, but they would transfer care to an ob. No thanks.

The MWs in AB are trained at a six week course??!! That is strange. So are they lay MWs? Do they practice within the medical system?

MWs are now part of the medical system in BC and do a post grad program and a residency. Similar to UK training I believe. You can only go to them if you are low risk.

There is a huge demand for them and you have to call very early in pregnancy to get in at a MW practice. 

Mine were fantastic. I really like the model of care in BC, that you can choose MWs or GP/OB and that the care is integrated. The MWs deliver in hospital and if you become high risk or have complications they bring in or refer you to an OB.

So sad I am not having this baby in Vancouver :( 

• it's such a non-invasive test that I dont know anyone who refused it. I am in canada and have no issues taking it, neither did any of my friends. my midwife kept asking "so you're on board with taking it?" -- so I assume its not mandatory or anything
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • In Belgium, it's standard at 24-25 weeks, and they follow up immediately if they don't like the results from the first tests.

No one likes having to pay extra attention to food and things like that. But this is about the health of your baby (and yours too). As others said, GD is very serious. To me (sugar addict) taking a second test would be a no-brainer. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejb2rn:

Here in Germany they did it very similarly as in the states. If you pass the one hour (I did) then you don't have to do the three hour.

same thing here in Italy for your first pregnancy; for the 2nd one, if you didn't have GD the first time and you haven't gained too much weight they just do a glucosium check on your routine bloodwork and if it's fine you don't have to do the 1hr glucose test

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"