Parenting after a Loss

6 week old sleeping patterns

I'm slowly trying to stop picking Ava up every time she wakes up during her nap (if I know she is fed and doesn't need a change). When I put her down, she usually wakes up after about 10 minutes whining, wanting to be picked back up. I'm trying to just console her with words and by rubbing her belly and giving her paci to her.

It's so hard to just not pick her up and get her back to sleep, but I want her to learn to soothe herself to sleep. At the same time, DH is home during the day since he works nights and I don't want her crying to wake him up. 

I'd also love to be able to just lay her down when she is drowsy without her laying there awake for 10 minutes and then crying. She won't go to sleep without being held. Maybe this is normal at this age, but being a FTM I have so many questions on when to start trying new things. 

Started TTC in February 2010
BFP #1
  3.23.11 :: Natural M/C on 5.21.11 @ 12wk4d
BFP #2  2.17.12 :: EDD 10.28.12 :: Ava was born 11.2.12

BFP #3  1.31.14 :: Natural M/C on 3.10.14 @ 9wk2d

BFP #4  4.29.14 :: Natural M/C on 5.5.14 @ ?

New Beginnings: Our Journey into Parenthood (Blog)

imageimage

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: 6 week old sleeping patterns

• It's definitely normal, I'm dealing with it now and had loads of similar sleep issues with DD too. If you figure out the trick please share! I have finally gotten DS to be comfy in the moby wrap and he will sleep on there a few times a day. Otherwise EVERY time I put him down he wakes up after 10 to 20 minutes. Today he somehow fell asleep in his swing, if was awesome.

I think at this age it's a little young to sleep train, though I too am starting. I have a toddler so I kind of have no choice. Lol.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    M/C Nov 9, 2011 at 11 weeks.... We love you & miss you Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't even think about ST at this age. I would hold him, let him nap on me, sleep in the swing, etc. The only things I would not do is let him sleep in bed with me, we did it once and it wasn't good for either of us and no sleeping in the swing at night. After 6w we moved him to his room in his RnP and then into his crib.

Enjoy that wee one now. I miss the days of holding DS.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This is very normal from my experience, and from what I gathered from others when my DS was 6 weeks.  Because DH and I both work full time, I started working on DS's sleep patterns around 8-10 weeks.. that's also when we started putting him to bed earlier.  Previously, he'd go to bed at like 11-11:30pm and sleep until 4-6am, but would take an evening nap prior.. around 8 weeks, we switched and started putting him down for bed at like 8-8:30.. lots of people recommended to us slowly changing his bed time, etc, but we just tried it one night and he slept through for us, so we stuck with it.. it was around that time when I also stopped rocking him to sleep.. I'd lay him in the crib awake, turn on his mobile and sound machine and then he'd look around until he fell asleep.  He did excellent for about a month.. then around 4ish months, we started having a hard time.. even now, at 5 months, he fights going down on his own.. but, I will not pick him back up once I lay him down (unless he's really really upset).. usually, I'll console him, put the pacifier in, and walk back out.. if he starts crying again, I repeat.. now it takes about 10 minutes for him to go down as he'll cry in the beginning, but I think that's more the 4mo wakeful rearing it's ugly head still :)
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • imagemissbea3:
    I'd lay him in the crib awake, turn on his mobile and sound machine and then he'd look around until he fell asleep.  He did excellent for about a month..

OMG I am soooo jealous!  My DS is 8 weeks tomorrow and if I lay him down to sleep on his own he screams bloody murder!  My DD was the same way.  He has been sleeping in bed with me, which I swore I'd never do, but it's so much easier for me since he is up 3-4 times a night to eat.  I think after Christmas (when DH will be home from work for a week and a half), I'll make the transition to his crib.  It will be tough but I need to do it.  Esp since DD comes into my room and wants to climb in bed too, then we're all up and miserable.  Fun times =) 

M/C Nov 9, 2011 at 11 weeks.... We love you & miss you Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just re rad my last post and it sounds like I let my kids cry in their crib to sleep when they were really little. Oops, didn't mean it to read that way. DD I'd 2 and a half and DH or I still lay down with her to fall asleep.

One parting thought, why do babies and kids fight sleep so much? I will never understand...,,
  • Charlie still catnaps through out the day only while being held or occasionally in her swing. Yesterday was her 2 month appointment and the Dr said that she doesn't expect to see babies taking long afternoon naps until around 6 months. She said the big concerns right now are whether she's sleeping more at night than during the day.
    We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"