C-sections

C section in 5 days and scared!!

I am having my second child via c section on Friday, December 21. My first child was delivered with an emergency c section because her heart stopped beating due to being hog tied (literally) in the umbilical cord. I was given general anesthesia with that delivery. Since this c section is planned I will have a spinal. I don't know how I am going to come home to a special needs toddler with a newborn and be the only one there. My husband will be working 12 hour days and I don't have much support otherwise. Any suggestions, tips or advice????

Re: C section in 5 days and scared!!

• Your husband can't take any time off from work?  

I really think you should look into hiring someone for at least the first few days. I know I just had one baby to care for and I was afraid to carry her up and down the stairs.

At the very least make sure you are settled on one level of the house before your husband leaves for the day. Have diapers, food, sleeping areas, etc. Have plenty of easy to grab snacks and meals for yourself and your toddler ready to go. Have lots of entertaining games and toys for your LO to play with. And don't feel bad about letting her watch TV. Let the house go for a while or ask your husband to pick up the slack with any house work.

Good luck. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Wow.. I really feel for you. I just had my third csection 2 weeks ago and if I didn't have as much help as I did from my husband or mother I don't know what I would be able to do. It has been 5 years since my last csection and this one was by far the worse. I would really look into someone helping you at least for a couple of days if not that whole first week. Also they stress the fact that your really not to be doing much anyways besides carring your baby and feeding him or her. Like I said I'm only 2 weeks out for my csection and if I do any cleaning or too much walking I star to heavly bleed which is a sign that your doing to much. And that's just which cooking dinner and maybe washing dishes. I guess do whatever will make your life easiest for the time being. 

Good luck and best wishes! 

• Loading the player...
  • Are there any post-partum doulas in your area?  They can come over and help with a whole host of activities if you really have no other option.  Check out www.dona.org to get a list of any PP doulas near you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • it will be hard but you can do it. for me, my 2nd CS was much easier to recover from than my 1st. partly because i knew what to expect and partly because i had no choice but to move around more and i think that helped me. i was alone with an almost 2 yr old and my newborn 2 days afterwards. my husband ended up getting a terrible stomach flu and had go stay somewhere else for several days. i just figured out ways to get around picking up the 2 yr old, used t.v. more often than usual and moved slow. it was exhausting but it wasn't as bad physically as i thought it would be. that being said, if there is anyway you can have someone come help in anyway i would definitely do it. after the 4th day of being alone with both kids i finally called my parents and had them come into town to pick up our 2 yr old for a few days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"