March 2012 Moms

sippy cups

What are you putting in sippy cups (if you are starting to use them)? They want him off bottles by a year old. We found a sippy cup that we like and he doesn't have problems with but now I don't know what exactly I should be putting in it. I was told water to start him on it until he learns. He knows how to suck it now. But still doesn't know that he has to tip his head back to drink out of it. Not sure if we should start putting formula in it or not. Stupid question but not really sure what all we should be putting in his sippy.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: sippy cups

• What sippy cup did you get??
  • She isn't a huge fan of the sippy. I bought one with handles and a soft top that either looks more like a nipple then a sippy upgrade. Hates them both but I managed to get a bottle nipple to fit. She'll take it that way. Will put trying the nipple that came with it in a couple days.

We do about 2-3 ounces of water and 1 of pear juice (froze juice in an ice cube tray so just put one cube in). She won't touch straight water. Needs a little flavor. She can't really hold the cup well by herself but is trying.

I just want her off the boob by a year. lol. We're going to try to have her off the bottle by 14 months. So not pushing too hard right now.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Loading the player...
  • We have these ones. I tried the Nuby ones but we had a lot of leaking problems with them so I got one where the nipple is all one piece with the lid itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Smile-Spill-Proof-Ounce-Colors/dp/B002UXQRN4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1355773181&sr=8-12&keywords=gerber+sippy+cup

• We just put juice in her cup (1 ounce water and 1 ounce juice), she mostly uses it as a weapon and bangs anything in sight with it. She won't turn it up on her own though, but she does bite on the nipple part (working on tooth #2). If she is leaned back enough she will hold the one without handles (shaped like a bottle, just a little wider and has a round flat on top nipple), but she has to be all the way back in the high chair for anything to come out or she gives up quickly.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks ladies! It was always made to be a huge deal if a baby got juice. So I wasn't sure if it was okay to give them that (watered down, of course) in a sippy. Or what exactly I was suppose to give him in his sippy. Do you just do them while having a snack? Or all day?
  • Formula or water.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really don't like to give juice if I can avoid it. DD1 rarely gets it from me (at DC I can't control, although I did pitch a fit once when she came hom with huge 12 oz spill proof bottle full of straight up apple juice!!!), and DD2 hasn't had any yet. I'm super scared of cavities because DH and I both come from families with bad teeth. We still have them all but they are full of fillings. Having said that, I put water in DD2's sippy cup, and she tilts her head back like a pro. She will drink about an ounce or so and that's it. I still give her formula in a bottle, and no one ever told me not to give them bottles after one; DD2 got her nightly milk in a bottle with a nipple well past 2, but she slept like a champ afterwards. We have since changed to a sippy cup with her for that last bottle, and a regular cup during the day. Some kids can drink well from a regular cup at like 18 months, and I've seen kids at DC my older daughter's age still drinking from a straight up bottle. Not really sure what harm there is in it, except you are just delaying the inevitable. I just can't stand washing those bottles anymore! If LO just bangs his sippy cup for the next two months, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe if we put some beer in there??? LOL.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do straight water, and I have a few different sippy cups he uses. It took him a little while to figure out he has to lean back, but eventually he did it on his own. He never drinks much out of it. I give him it during meals for now. My LO is still BF, so once we wean, then he'll get it more often during the day.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• imageMrsLynn31912:
    Thanks ladies! It was always made to be a huge deal if a baby got juice. So I wasn't sure if it was okay to give them that (watered down, of course) in a sippy. Or what exactly I was suppose to give him in his sippy. Do you just do them while having a snack? Or all day?

The thing with juice is, they don't want them having a ton of it. A lot of people that to mean that there can be no juice at all. Ever. DD gets about 2 ounces, maybe, in a week. That is an acceptable amount to my doc. Our doc just doesn't want it to be a main beverage for DD, even when she is older.

DD only gets a cup with meals. She doesn't really want much until dinner though. Breakfast and lunch she just has a sip or two. Dinner she wants it a lot. For her, a 3-4 oz cup (with only 1 oz of juice, the rest water) lasts her about half a week.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• We are using the Nuk and started out with formula and water (separately).  She caught on within a few days and hasn't had a bottle in almost 2 weeks.  I guess she was ready.
    Praise God from whom all blessings flow. :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hello I am a mom from the Feb 2010 board. I think you could put anything in the sippy cup. I know that doctors generally want them off the bottle at their 1st birthday but it is the parents choice if they want to take them off. luckily i did not have the issue my son weaned himself off of the bottle at 10 1/2 months old.
    (Me)
    (32)
    Jonathan Hunter (Adopted)
    (2-27-10)
    TTC #1

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"