November 2012 Moms

Don't know what to do gas related

So just on Friday my baby starting straining and crying while taking a poop. I could tell he was in so much pain like he was having a gas pain and then trying to push through it. My boy has pretty good bowel movements. He had one during one of the very early morning feeds on Friday and then once he started straining and doing all this stuf he would have little spots but not big bowel movements. So i thought he was constipated. I called the doctor and took her suggestions. I stimulated the rectal area with a thermometer. Stretched his legs. Rubbed his tummy. Gave him diluted prune juice. Eventually we got a big bowel movement but he was still straining after that , though not as bad as before. And his poop was soft. On Saturday we decided to change the formula because he has always been gassy HAS to burp about 4 or 5 times during each feeding and we figured the gas coupled with the urge to go to the bathroom definitely complicated things. So we went with Similac Sensitive we also got some gripe water. The gripe water seemed to work. Yesterday we was a pretty happy baby.
Then this morning we are back to the same thing. Straining and inconsolable crying. I gave him the gripe water after he ate. He burped and farted. And then i changed him and he had a very poopy diaper.

I called the pedi and I'm going in today because I'm just concerned about why its taking so much for him to poop when it is very soft. It's bugging me out and I'm hoping he's ok. I really seeing him in pain. Even while sleep he'll sometimes tighten his whole body up and yell out and cry for a few because of the Pain. I feel helpless.

Any advice is greatly appreciated because I don't know what to do.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Don't know what to do gas related

• I understand your concern! My LO went from pooping 5x a day to not pooping for 3 days. 

We did the massage tummy, moving legs, thermo trick too with no avail.   Call our pedi & she had us do sepostitories - one a day to get him back on track.  It was hard to do and a struggle - but he is now back on track.

Maybe try a warm bath, placeing him on his stomach when you hold him (to put pressure on his stomach), keep his legs tucked under tight when you hold him & the windi.  I tired everything! 

GL & ((hugs)) - I know how hard it is to see them in pain!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our pedi said to give 1 ounce of water/day/month of age. So if baby is 1 month, give one ounce, 2 months, two ounces. It helps us a lot and A doesn't struggle like she used to. Still sometimes only have 1 BM a day, but she doesn't fight through it.
    050 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemrshump:
    I called the pedi and I'm going in today because I'm just concerned about why its taking so much for him to poop when it is very soft. It's bugging me out and I'm hoping he's ok. I really seeing him in pain. Even while sleep he'll sometimes tighten his whole body up and yell out and cry for a few because of the Pain. I feel helpless. Any advice is greatly appreciated because I don't know what to do.

It does suck to watch, but it's really very normal. You can give gas drops too, which are mylicon rather than gripe water. But having to burp a lot, having "poops" that are really just juicy farts, needing to have their legs bicycled, etc, are very normal things.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• We had the same problem with DS. He was not pooping and very gassy. Was also on similac. We switched him to enfamil and he is doing so much better!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image143BabyCakes:
    We had the same problem with DS. He was not pooping and very gassy. Was also on similac. We switched him to enfamil and he is doing so much better!!

Is it Enfamil Gentlease (i think thats it) ?? My little man has to have apple juice daily (1 oz - pedi recommended) to help him out, but he is still gassy and only poo's once a day and still seems to struggle..  I've been thinking about trying to change his formula to help him out, and I hear that Enfamil Gentlease is great. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagelanea8712:

image143BabyCakes:
    We had the same problem with DS. He was not pooping and very gassy. Was also on similac. We switched him to enfamil and he is doing so much better!!

Is it Enfamil Gentlease (i think thats it) ?? My little man has to have apple juice daily (1 oz - pedi recommended) to help him out, but he is still gassy and only poo's once a day and still seems to struggle..  I've been thinking about trying to change his formula to help him out, and I hear that Enfamil Gentlease is great. 

Its the one for newborns. I can now almost set a clock to his bowel movements. It works well enough for him that he sometimes smiles while pooping. Haha no joke!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We bought Enfamil Gentlease but I read something about it having a protein in it that hardens poop. So I went with Similac Sensitive instead.
    We shall see. I know forna changes take a while to yield results. The new routine Is now gripe water twice a day, plus an ounce of water as approved by pedi. I'll see how that works for us.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"