Baby Names

India Rose

I love the name India Rose for our baby girl who is due this winter.  My husband likes the sound of it but thinks it seems like we are naming her after the country. I think it sounds beautiful and feminine, but I don't know if it's too out there.  Thoughts?

Re: India Rose

• I like it! We have a friend Indie, and it's a great name. 

I do think you should reconsider a middle name that isn't a noun though. With the first name being a country, Rose seems a bit too literal. 
    sam & arlo 

• The name India has grown on me since my husbands cousin named his daughter India. I do think a different middle name would be better. The little girl I know is India Adaline. Which I thought is really pretty.

I think anyone who has never heard the name will think of the country first. But a few celebs have used it recently so it will become a more heard name with time. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • India is very Gone With the Wind.
  • For me, it depends on why you are using this particular name. What does it mean to you?

I would not use this name because of its colonialist history. Lots of rich Brits started naming their daughters India in the 19th century because it sounded exotic. That gives the name an icky association for me.

• Its not my style but if u use it I agree with pp about using a different middle name that isn't a noun. Seems like it reads an Indian Rose.
  • I'm not a fan, sorry. The "India" doesn't conjure up warm fuzzies for me. I just think of the country.

I have a cousin who named his kid Indiana and they call her Indie. I'm not a huge fan of that either. lol I think he did it because he was a fan of Indiana Jones. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• It's really grown on me since a friend used it, though I had an aquaintance named it before too. I think of it as an old Southern name a la Gone With the Wind. India Rose is pretty but Rose is getting so overdone as a middle name. Along the same lines as Rose I think India Violet is beautiful.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebuggal28:
    India is very Gone With the Wind.

This.  But I like it. Rose is nms, and I don't think it flows that well with India.

baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • I kind of like it but agree with others that Rose doesn't flow that well
  • It's a beautiful name, and I think it sounds really pretty with Rose. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebuggal28:
    India is very Gone With the Wind.

Lol this was the first thing I thought too, but I still love the name.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like it, but isn't this what one of those Hemsworth guys just named a kid? Even so, if you like it, it's very pretty and you should use it:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really like India, actually, but not with Rose. What about:

India Jane

India Ruth

India Elise

India Marie

India Nicole

etc?

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• I love it. India and Rose
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • I think of the country.
  • imagebonita_darling:
    I like it, but isn't this what one of those Hemsworth guys just named a kid? Even so, if you like it, it's very pretty and you should use it:)

Yes, Chris Hemsworth named his daughter India Rose this year, and that's immediately what I thought of. It's pretty, though.

• I think it's beautiful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"