Pregnant after 35

Holy moly cow!

I just got back from dinner at a friend's restaurant. She showed me a photo of her friend's baby who was born on Friday-- 10+ pounds delivered vaginally!  Tongue Tied

I'm not joking: if you slapped some tattoos and a goatee on this kid, he would look like a heavyweight MMA fighter. He. Was. HUGE.
*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
        -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
<br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

Re: Holy moly cow!

• Wow. Now there's a kid who won't be wearing NB size anything! It sure does seem like there are more bigger babies nowadays--is it just better nutrition and prenatal care, or what do you suppose is behind it?
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • imagedanuli8:
    Wow. Now there's a kid who won't be wearing NB size anything! It sure does seem like there are more bigger babies nowadays--is it just better nutrition and prenatal care, or what do you suppose is behind it?

I actually read an article a while back that said something along these lines. 

8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My vagina hurts just reading this. Ouch!

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• imageMrsNukem:
    My vagina hurts just reading this. Ouch!

This. Ow.

• My first question was if she was a diabetic, but she's not. And she's petite! Poor thing.

I can't believe, though, that better prenatal care and nutrition is responsible-- I mean, Mother Nature has engineered this whole procedure so that the baby is supposed to be able to come out of its mother's body without killing the mom or getting stuck. So I would think that anything that makes a bigger baby would be the opposite of helpful! LOL

*********************************************************************************************

-- Abraham Lincoln

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >

• My son was 9lbs. 14 oz. and 22 3/4 inches long at birth.  DH and I come from a long line of giants so I wasn't surprised but when I saw newborns after that they seemed so very tiny.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can beat that, a friend of mine's daughter was an 11 pounder and change. Mom put on about 80lbs with the pregnancy and it was determined about a month prior to her due date a C section was the only way to go. No gestational diabetes or anything and baby is totally healthy. But I will admit those newborn photos were something I expected to see on the cover of the national enquirer or something..she looked like a 6 month old..

Update: I just double checked their birth announcement, 11lbs 5 ounces.. 

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Wow that is scary and an 11 pounder, yikes!  I am hoping its true that it should somewhat correlate with the parents birth weight.  I was around 6 and H was 8. 
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • I wish that I would have not opened this thread today.  I just got back from ultrasound.  I was joking with DH that our daughter was going to be tall, like at least 5 feet.  The doctor chimed in and said, actually that is not a joke and you are having a really big baby, healthy but big.  DH looked at her head size and asked, is that really coming out of my wife?  I am starting to get nervous about delivery.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lurker here... Head size and weight are only part of the story. My sister had bad tears giving birth to her first 6.5 lb DD, but barely any tear at all having her 10 lb DS.

My 7 lb baby boy had a big head, such that the nurse congratulated me on my med free vaginal birth! I didn't tear very badly. Heads are squishy. Most women can birth vaginally the babies they carry large or small.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• imagehijoi:
    That is a big baby.  Having said that, can we please not always blame diabetes?  I have type 2 and did before I got pregnant with my kids. One was born 6 pounds 6 ounces (17 1/2 in) and the other was 7 pounds 8 ounces (19 in). Both were full term.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but diabetes is the most common cause for large babies-- and we have an incredibly high number of people in Maine who have diabetes. And I certainly don't consider diabetes a disease that is necessarily preventable and only afflicts people who overeat and don't exercise (I have many friends who are fit and trim, runners mostly, actually, who are diabetic).

Of course, the other cause is huge parents! My rugby friend is 6'5" and his wife is 6' or 6'1" and both their kids were 24-25" long and 11 and 13 pounds. His wife delivered both vaginally. She did use an epidural for the 13 pounder, but that may have been more to do with a long labour.

-- Abraham Lincoln

• I'm sorry you're in a bad mood. My classmate senior year of nursing school had a 10 pound + baby-- she had gotten diabetes during/after her 2nd child and had to wear a pump to dispense insulin. Even with the pump controlling her insulin and blood sugar levels and even eating well and taking care of herself and the baby, she had a huge baby that had to be delivered 3 weeks early.

Nobody's fault, she was not to blame, she did everything right. Just rotten genetics.

Diabetes is a malicious disease-- it not just damages the body but it damages perceptions. It's the same with obesity. I love when a smoker will sit there and watch a heavy person go into a Dunkin Donuts and make a snide comment. Even IF that person was going in to stuff him/herself with donuts, I'd have as much sympathy for that person as for the smoker-- more, in a way, because when you're trying to quit smoking, you have it in your power (for the most part) to avoid smokers and other cigarette smoke. But you can't ever stay away from food. You HAVE to eat.

Same with diabetes-- how hard it must be to watch others eat birthday cake, cookies, bread, etc. with impunity, knowing you have to count your carbs and avoid simple sugars.

I'm sorry you're in a bad mood. ((hugs)) From the time I've gotten to know you on TTC>35 and here, I know you're already a great Mom and will be even better once your LO arrives in the world!

-- Abraham Lincoln

• This is what I am fearing.  I was 9lbs 13 oz and nearly 2 feet.  DH was a mere 8.5 pounder.  No way we are having a small baby.

And just to make me feel real good, a coworker told me that both him and his brother were over 12lbs  and were vaginal births for their 5'2" mom.  Owweee! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • My little brother was nearly 10 lbs. and 21.5", but my mom says he was easier to birth than little ol' me, who weighed in at only 8.5lbs. and 20".  The first one is always hardest!

There's a lot of research showing that exercise during pregnancy leads to babies that aren't as heavy.  I can vouch for that as my daughter was 20" long and only 6.5lbs, and I exercised the whole way through.  Even if the mother isn't diabetic or even overweight, she can have an overly large baby if she is not active during her pregnancy (especially the 3rd trimester).  From what I've read this is becoming a bigger and bigger (no pun intended lol) problem. So, if you want to try to keep your baby from becoming TOO large, stay at least moderately active through the 3rd trimester. :)

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Oh no. I'm nervous for you. Ouch. Just ask for the drugs, lots of drugs. Devil
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"