Parenting

I am MAD.

I just can't describe it any other way. I am heartbroken for the families in CT, but I am MAD. As a teacher I know how hard we work at our school to make our students feel safe. I am furious that someone took that away.  I am furious as a mom that I am going to have that small fear in my gut when I drop my kids off at school on Monday.

I am mad that the stupid gun laws in the US made this all to easy to occur. Seriously USA, I love you guys and visit often, but get a eff'n grip when it comes to your guns!

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.

Re: I am MAD.

• ::walks out::
  • I understand your emotions but this is an incredibly simplistic take on this tragedy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • as mom/parent I completely understand your fear , beside home, school is supposed to be a safe place for our children. I'm heart broken for the children, the families, and the school.  But that being said, you did hear that the gun belonged to his mother right ?, he took it from his home, not sure how gun control would have prevented that. 
  • I don't see what's wrong with the OPs post and I don't see it as ill-timed or insensitive at all. 

People should be mad about this. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I get that my thinking is simplistic. However I have thought the lax gun laws in the USA were completely ridiculous for a long time. I am just surprised they never seem to change after these kind of events.

A single school shooting in Scotland led to tighter gun laws very soon after. Mass murders in Australia in the 80's led to very tight gun control there and they saw a massive reduction in shooting deaths. I just don't think you can deny the stats coming out of the US regarding shooting deaths.

Why on earth does anyone need 5 firearms in their suburban home? And there is never a need for the average citizen to own a semiautomatic weapon of any kind.

• imageCinemaGoddess:

I don't see what's wrong with the OPs post and I don't see it as ill-timed or insensitive at all. 

Thank you

• imageCinemaGoddess:

I don't see what's wrong with the OPs post and I don't see it as ill-timed or insensitive at all. 

This.

Additionally, on the issue of guns, today is not the day to talk about gun control.  That should have happened in 1999 after Columbine.  

Gun control laws probably wouldn't have prevented this tragedy. My heart aches for the children who lost their lives. It aches for the parents who lost a baby. I want to curl up in a ball and cry and squeeze my babies and not ever let them leave my house, but I know I can't. 

ETA: I guess I should clarify this. (the bolded)

Our Little Lady
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Avery - 8.2.07 | Asher - 5.12.10 | Audrey - 11.28.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageallierhiana1:
    The guns were all purchased and owned legally, so I'm not sure where you're going with this. Also your opinions are ill timed.

I know they were purchased and owned leaglly- you are missing my point. There are entirely too many guns owned in the USA. It should not be so easy to own a gun, nor do I think people should feel it is their 'right'.

And how is this illtimed? Obviously gun control will be hottly debated after an incident like this. Perhaps tighter gun control will pervent a future tragedy.

• imagerebs:
    I get that my thinking is simplistic. However I have thought the lax gun laws in the USA were completely ridiculous for a long time. I am just surprised they never seem to change after these kind of events.
    nbsp;A single school shooting in Scotland led to tighter gun laws very soon after. Mass murders innbsp;Australia in the 80'snbsp;led to very tight gun control there and they saw a massive reduction in shooting deaths. I just don't think you can deny the stats coming out of the US regarding shooting deaths.
    Why on earth does anyone need 5 firearms in their suburban home? And there is never a need for the average citizen to own a semiautomatic weapon of any kind.

I agree with you that the gun laws should have already been reevaluated and changed, before this occurred. I just also think that the causes go beyond gun laws.
  • imageIcarusalsoflew:
    imagerebs:
    I get that my thinking is simplistic. However I have thought the lax gun laws in the USA were completely ridiculous for a long time. I am just surprised they never seem to change after these kind of events.
    nbsp;A single school shooting in Scotland led to tighter gun laws very soon after. Mass murders innbsp;Australia in the 80'snbsp;led to very tight gun control there and they saw a massive reduction in shooting deaths. I just don't think you can deny the stats coming out of the US regarding shooting deaths.

I agree with you that the gun laws should have already been reevaluated and changed, before this occurred. I just also think that the causes go beyond gun laws.

And just to add I don't mean for this to sound condescending because I think that you realize this after reading your additional posts.
  • imageblowfish11:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

This.

Additionally, on the issue of guns, today is not the day to talk about gun control.  That should have happened in 1999 after Columbine.  

Gun control laws wouldn't have prevented this tragedy. My heart aches for the children who lost their lives. It aches for the parents who lost a baby. I want to curl up in a ball and cry and squeeze my babies and not ever let them leave my house, but I know I can't. 

Possibly not. But if there were tighter controls on the type and number of guns one could own then so many lives might not have been lost.

• imagejustAphase:

How strict are the gun laws in Canada? 

Much stricter than the US, but still need work in my opinion- especially when it come to storage.

It is also the 'gun culture' thing that gets me. I do not know one single person who owns a hand gun. At all. A few of our friends who hunt own hunting rifles, that are taken apart after use and stored in a locked gun safe. No one thinks they need a gun for personal protection.

• imagerebs:
    imageblowfish11:
    imageCinemaGoddess:

This.

Gun control laws wouldn't have prevented this tragedy. My heart aches for the children who lost their lives. It aches for the parents who lost a baby. I want to curl up in a ball and cry and squeeze my babies and not ever let them leave my house, but I know I can't. 

Possibly not. But if there were tighter controls on the type and number of guns one could own then so many lives might not have been lost.

I agree with you Rebs. The fact that these were legally obtained is a problem. It proves our gun laws are way too lax. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCinemaGoddess:

Agree

• imagejustAphase:

https://www.firearmstraining.ca/classes.htm (pictures of what we can and cannot own).

https://www.canadianlawsite.ca/gunlaws.htm

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/act-loi-eng.htm

ETA to add a better link

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think being afraid to take your child to school is a bit extreme. School shootings are not common and other dangers exist that are more likely to affect you.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • imagerebs:

I tend to agree with you that there is no need for a private citizen to own a semi-automatic weapon. My main concern with people wanting to make major changes to gun laws is that I'm afraid it will be a case of closing the barn door after the horses have already gotten out (or however that saying goes.) I know you didn't say this, but I've heard/read some people say that guns should be taken away from people who already own them, and my concern is that if something like that were to happen, law-abiding citizens would surrender their guns, and criminals would keep theirs. There are already so many guns owned by so many people that I don't know how much of a difference it would make to make it more difficult for people to obtain them legally in the future. If it had become significantly more difficult to obtain guns after the movie theater shooting, for example, the mother of yesterday's shooters would've already owned her guns, and her son would presumably have still been able to get them from her.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm not sure that making it more difficult to legally obtain guns would help significantly at this point. There are too many criminals and dangerous people with guns for me to NOT want to own one. My husband and I already have one, and honestly, this incident has made us want to get another. 

• Strict gun laws only keep good, law abiding citizens from getting guns.  Criminals, gang members, mentally ill people who want a gun will always have access to guns.  So this tradegy most likely would not have been prevented.
  • imagerebs:
    imagejustAphase:

Much stricter than the US, but still need work in my opinion- especially when it come to storage.

It is also the 'gun culture' thing that gets me. I do not know one single person who owns a hand gun. At all. A few of our friends who hunt own hunting rifles, that are taken apart after use and stored in a locked gun safe. No one thinks they need a gun for personal protection.

That's because those types of non-hunting guns are restricted in Canada and you have to get a permit to even be allowed to transport to and from the shooting range.

"If you use your firearm for work, or if you belong to a gun club and want to use your restricted firearm for target practice, you would get an ATT valid for an extended period of time (up to 3 years). In some provinces this permit is obtained by and through the organization you belong to - i.e. the gun club, or your employer.

Certain individuals who need restricted firearms for protection against predators in the wilderness (eg. trappers, prospectors), or for survival (eg. bush pilots), can obtain such a permit through the CFC, after completing a special wilderness training course.

While self-defence is a legal purpose, it is virtually impossible for an average citizen to get a permit to carry a concealed firearm for self-protection." https://www.firearmstraining.ca/permits.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagejustAphase:

In order to buy a gun in Canada, you need to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course through the a licensed RCMP (costs about $200-$250). Then you need a PAL (Purchase and Aquisition License or FAC) to buy and own a gun. You can't touch or look at a gun upclose in a store without license. There used to be a POL (Possession Only License) that allowed ownership only (no hunting, buying/selling, transporting, etc) but that program expired in 2004.

That being said, we still have maniacs who have walked into schools and taken innocent lives.  I do believe that the US needs to reevaluate the ease in which guns can be purchased, but I also think tragedies like this are much bigger than just gun laws.  This guy (and the others like him) had major psychological issues that should have been dealt with before they led to violence. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I don't think this is ill-timed.  I think it is crazy to think people will get over their emotions after just a day.
  • These guns were stolen from a registered gun owner. There is no way that gun control could have prevented this.

Saying a gun caused this is short sighted. If I get wasted, crash my car into a minivan and kill a family of five, should we blame my car's manufactorer for it? Of course not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • While they were talking about what a picturesque, perfect place this was with so little crime, I just wondered than, why does someone feel the need to have three guns? I am mad about it to, I do not like guns and do not understand the need to own one when its more likely you will shoot a family member then an intruder. 

• Also, if someone is that screwed in the head they want to kill a large amount of people, they can make a homemade bomb from sh!t you could purchase at home depot. Gun control isn't going to make people who are murderers not be murderers.
  • imageKC_13:

These guns were stolen from a registered gun owner. There is no way that gun control could have prevented this.

Saying a gun caused this is short sighted. If I get wasted, crash my car into a minivan and kill a family of five, should we blame my car's manufactorer for it? Of course not.

You were using the vehicle improperly.

If a gun is used properly, it kills.  That's the only reason a gun exists.  For killing.

There is a huge difference between guns and cars. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imagelittlemermaid:
    Strict gun laws only keep good, law abiding citizens from getting guns.  Criminals, gang members, mentally ill people who want a gun will always have access to guns.  So this tradegy most likely would not have been prevented.

THANK YOU!  I totally agree.  My husband always says "locks just keep out the honest people".  Meaning that if someone wants to break in, they will; if someone is going to go on a crazying killing spree, they will.  Is it unfortunate and awful?  Absolutely.  

• imageCinemaGoddess:
    imageKC_13:

These guns were stolen from a registered gun owner. There is no way that gun control could have prevented this.

If a gun is used properly, it kills.  That's the only reason a gun exists.  For killing.

A gun can also be used at a shooting range.

Even if you magically got rid of every gun in existance this stuff will STILL happen. I know this is the kneejerk reaction to people dying, but people can be killed in other ways besides guns. That person will still have that mental illness and that desire to kill regardless of what he carries out his killing with. 

You're simply never going to be able to get every gun out of existance and guns help keep people safe as much (if not more) as they cause harm. People should also have the right to hunt animals if they choose. I believe in people registering to own guns and there be a process to have ownership of one, sure. Tightening up that process will not help bad people stop killing though.

• imageKC_13:
    imageCinemaGoddess:
    imageKC_13:

Even if you magically got rid of every gun in existance this stuff will STILL happen. I know this is the kneejerk reaction to people dying, but people can be killed in other ways besides guns. That person will still have that mental illness and that desire to kill regardless of what he carries out his killing with. 

You're simply never going to be able to get every gun out of existance and guns help keep people safe as much (if not more) as they cause harm. People should also have the right to hunt animals if they choose. I believe in people registering to own guns and there be a process to have ownership of one, sure. Tightening up that process will not help bad people stop killing though.

Thinking you shouldn't have both stricter regulations w/r/t guns as well as a better mental health care system is ridiculous.

Throwing up your hands and saying "Well, the crazies will still get the guns. Why should we even have the controls we have in place?" is equally ridiculous.

Something needs to be done.  Period.   

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• USA Today (while the author is pro-gun, the newspaper is not your typical conservative outlet, which would lead me to believe they fact checked his article before they published it, though after yesterday's continual gaffs...)

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/2002/05/09/ncoppf.htm

Advocates of "reasonable" gun laws need only look at Europe to see what the future holds. Europe has everything American gun-control proponents favor, but the three worst public shootings in the past year all occurred in Europe. All took place in so-called gun-free "safe zones." With violent crime rising, European police complain that strict gun laws have not impeded criminals' access to guns.

Around the world, from Australia to England, countries that have recently strengthened gun-control laws with the promise of lowering crime have instead seen violent crime soar. In the four years after the U.K. banned handguns in 1996, gun crime rose by an astounding 40%. Since Australia's 1996 laws banning most guns and making it a crime to use a gun defensively, armed robberies rose by 51%, unarmed robberies by 37%, assaults by 24% and kidnappings by 43%. While murders fell by 3%, manslaughter rose by 16%.

Gun-control advocates conveniently ignore that the countries with the highest homicide rates have gun bans.

Another paper posted from Harvard Law

https://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

The information did not cut&paste well, but after the name of the country, the number listed is the murder rate per 100,000 people in 2002 (all after the enactment of the strict gun laws) and then the second number is the rate of gun ownership.Its interesting that Luxembourg has such a high murder rate when there is 0 gun ownershipNation Murder Rate Rate of Gun Ownershi

ussia 20.54 [2002] 4,000

Luxembourg 9.01 [2002] c. 0Hungary 2.22 [2003] 2,000Finland 1.98 [2004] 39,000Sweden 1.87 [2001] 24,000Poland 1.79 [2003] 1,500France 1.65 [2003] 30,000Denmark 1.21 [2003] 19,000Greece 1.12 [2003] 11,000Switzerland 0.99 [2003] 16,000Germany 0.93 [2003] 30,000Norway 0.81 [2001] 36,000Austria 0.80 [2002] 17,000And another, where the US, Canada and Great Britian (the two countires most used to compare the US with). https://www.saf.org/journal/16/thefailedexperiment.pdf Unfortunately, these Draconian firearm regulations have totally failed. The public is not any safer and may be less safe. Police statistics show that England and Wales are enduring a serious crime wave. In contrast to handgun-dense United States, where the homicide rate has been falling for over 20 years, the homicide rate in handgun-banning England and Wales has been growing. In the 1990s alone, the homicide rate jumped 50%, going from 10 per million in 1990 to 15 per million in 2000. Police statistics show that violent crime in general has increased since the late 1980s and, in fact, since 1996 has been more serious than in the United States. The firearm laws may even have increased criminal violence by disarming the general public. Despite Britain?s banning and confiscating all handguns, violent crime, and firearm crime, continue to grow. ....Obviously, cross-national averages are irrelevant to this endeavour. This paper does not address, for example, whether the Canadian average for a particular crime rate is higher (or lower) than the United States or England. Such patterns speak to historical and cultural differences, not the effectiveness of recent firearm legislation. Only changes are pertinent to the question of interest. If the homicide rate was low before the firearm law was passed and it continues to stay low, how can we credit the firearm law with causing the low homicide rate? TABLE 1: An International Comparison of the Use of Guns in Violent Crime Violent Crime Homicide Robbery Suicide Accident United States (2001) 26% 63% 42% 56% 1% Canada (2001) 35% 31% 14% 20% <1% Australia (2001) 1% (est) 14% 6% 12% NA England/Wales (00/01) 1% (est) 9% 4% 2% NA https://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-listThe key facts are:? The US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world - an average of 88 per 100 people. That puts it first in the world for gun ownership - and even the number two country, Yemen, has significantly fewer - 54.8 per 100 people
    ? But the US does not have the worst firearm murder rate - that prize belongs to Honduras, El Salvador and Jamaica. In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people
    ? Puerto Rico tops the world's table for firearms murders as a percentage of all homicides - 94.8%. It's followed by Sierra Leone in Africa and Saint Kitts and Nevis in the CaribbeanNow, I know that statistics can be manipulated depending on the political slant of the writer, which is why I tried to use statistics provided by people outside of the US. I actually do believe in stronger gun controls. But I do not believe that banning guns will fix this problem. It wont stop a mentally or emotionally ill person from finding a way to hurt or kill people. While the analogy of the cars vs guns is a loose one, since guns were created to kill and cars were not, the fact that vehicular deaths pretty much equal each other, I DO think that the fact that the INTENT to harm vs not to harm DOES actually matter. While many people, especially here, want to dismiss the guns vs car analogy, I think it does matter, especially when deaths due to guns is pretty much based in intent, but deaths due to DUIs is supposedly not. In 2009, there were 10,839 DUIvehicular deaths https://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-driving-statistics.html (33,000 overall vehicular deaths actually) vs gun deaths11,493 https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm.  So because the intent isnt there, because the purpose of the weapon isnt to cause death, it makes it less worthy of discussion? 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I hate it when people talk about gun laws in the United States like that's a simple thing. Gun laws are determined by state. I believe that Connecticut is actually one of the stricter states out there.

TBH, I'm not really sure where I stand on the issue. I don't like guns myself, but DH always wanted one. After long talks about safety precautions, we got a couple different types. He does have a vague notion of home defense if we ever needed it, but I don't think he'd actually use them in that sense. For him, it's a sporting thing. He likes going to the range, improving and he just likes owning them. He has taken safety classes, as have I.

His guns have trigger locks, are locked in a safe hidden in our closet and the ammunition is in a smaller lockbox in another location. Last night we had a conversation about how our children won't know how to access them until they are adults (not teens) if ever.

As I said, I don't love guns and before DH, would have said ban them. But now I see his point of view that responsible gun owners are not the problem. Should the thousands of gun owners like him lose that right? I don't know. For me, I would certainly give up that 'right' to prevent tragedies, but I know he doesn't view it that way.

• imageCinemaGoddess:
    imageKC_13:
    imageCinemaGoddess:
    imageKC_13:

Thinking you shouldn't have both stricter regulations w/r/t guns as well as a better mental health care system is ridiculous.

Throwing up your hands and saying "Well, the crazies will still get the guns. Why should we even have the controls we have in place?" is equally ridiculous.

Something needs to be done.  Period.   

I'm not saying that anyone with a few hundred bucks in their pocket should be able to walk into walmart and walk out with a semi-automatic weapon. I do think there should be regulations with the purchase/ownership of firearms. I'm just saying that the kneejerk reaction to make stricter gun control laws is somehow going to make this kind of event never happen again is foolish.

Yes, something needs to be done. I think the focus should be in the mental health system. A mentally disturbed individual is what caused those children to die. A gun needs someone controlling it to work. It doesn't act alone. THese children could have just as easily been killed by some other weapon if guns were magically banished.

I think people just want to see something done so they choose gun control because that's an easier fix. That's idiotic.

• imageMom2Oli:
    imageprincessvespa1:

by that logic, you never lock your house, right?

Travel  And there goes my point...

• KC - I would agree with you if there hadn't been too many mass shootings in this country in the last 6 months.   Aurora, Seattle, Clackamas Mall, and now CT. 

In almost all the cases, the person wielding the guns had mental issues.  He also had easy access to the guns he used.  

We need to take care of the people in this country who aren't getting the mental health care they need.  We need to restrict easy access to guns.  Yes, if someone really wants a gun, they can get one.  But that doesn't mean we should just give up. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• I'm on team we need more mental health resources. 

But I don't feel confident that it would be a sufficient cure.  There is currently no at to differentiate between a mental health problem and a mental health problem that will lead toward something like this.  Look at Aurora, that guy was flagged by the university, but ultimately there's only so much professionals can do.

Until we as a society change, I just don't think we can handle mass killing machines on the market for anyone with a few bucks and a clear record.  There are too many guns in the streets, too readily available if we're having this many mass shootings.

Limiting guns won't eradicate gun violence, but if it reduces gun violence, then that's something I'm ok with.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Isn't pot illegal?? Don't people still buy and smoke pot on a regular basis??

I guess what I don't understand is how making gun laws stricter or even making guns illegal is going to stop someone who wants a gun from getting their hands on a gun.
  • Whoa I take my kid to hockey and come back to see the debate I started!

First of all, I did not say take away all guns, I said the laws need to be tighter. Those articles are ridiculous, there are so many things wrong with them. Yes, other countries have had mass shootings, no one is denying that. Canada had a school shooting in Alberta, Europe had that horrific shooting at the summer camp. However USA seems to be getting more than their fair share, and I believe part of the problem is the easy access to guns, especially semi automatic weapons. There just never seems to be a reason why someone needs to own one of those.

I will never wrap my head around the thinking that more guns in houses make us all safer. It just ups the chances of those weapons falling into the wrong hands or being used improperly.

And at no time did I say that this event was only caused by gun laws, obviously this man was mentally ill and that needs to be addressed. But I think he was able to get a ridiulous amount of guns far too easily. The simple fact is he could not have caused nearly the devastation with a hunting rifle.

• imageCinemaGoddess:

Yes 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • To greeneyedbride:
    Not trying to start sit but what exactly do you think your are going to achieve by purchasing another gun? Are you going to give it to your child? That just seems ridiculous to me.
  • We own guns, we have 5 or 6. There are two hand guns and one rifle in our gun safe. Our gun safe is locked by code and in the walk in closet. My DH also owns a semi auto that he uses for big game hunting that is at our family ranch. My son also has a rife that he will be given when he is the appropriate age.

My husband and every member of his family has been taught from a very young age proper gun safety as well as required classes. My DH has been hunting since he was 7 years old.

We are law abiding citizens that have permits, we know gun safety and plan on teaching it to our child. 

“I’d marry again if I found a man who had $15 million and would sign over half of it to me before the marriage and guarantee he’d be dead in a year.” - Bette Davis
  • imagetwatley:
    imageprincessvespa1:
    imageMom2Oli:
    imageprincessvespa1:

by that logic, you never lock your house, right?

Travel  And there goes my point...

Yeah, I think it's because your point was invalid. 

My point was that making stricter gun laws is not going to stop the crazy people.  I agree we need to do something for the mental health patients.  How is that invalid?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"