Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Cereal Feedings

Ok ladies. Everything that I have read regarding cereal states between 4-6 months to start baby in cereal.

So...here's some background...

Nolan was born November 9th weighing 7lbs 7 oz. 2 weeks 8lbs and this week at his 5 week appointment he weighed  10lbs 4oz. He is constantly hungry and eats 5-6 ounces every 3-4 hours. And there are times he may need more. I am currently formula feeding because of issues with breast feeding. At his last doctors appt, the doctor suggested starting him on rice cereal. I was a bit shocked when he told me this. Have any of you ladies started your baby on cereal this early? The doctor told me that if he's drinking more than 30 ounces in a day that he needs to start cereal. Just a little concerned.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

Re: Cereal Feedings

• Trust your gut (and honestly, find a new pedi).  Their digestive tracts aren't mature enough for solids so the only time they should be given prior to 4-6 months is when the pros outweigh the cons, like when a child has reflux.  Rice cereal is an empty filler.  It might make him feel full a little longer but that's not what his body needs.  He needs nutritious calories and those will come from his bottle.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I agree w/ PP.  My LO was started on rice cereal at about 10 weeks due to sever acid reflux.  She wasn't able to keep her BM or formula down otherwise.  I would get a 2nd opinion if I were you.  Are there any other pedi's on the practice that you go to?  Rice cereal is a filler and not really nutritious at all.  If you LO is asking for more food he needs the nutrients. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageelmoali:
    Trust your gut (and honestly, find a new pedi).  Their digestive tracts aren't mature enough for solids so the only time they should be given prior to 4-6 months is when the pros outweigh the cons, like when a child has reflux.  Rice cereal is an empty filler.  It might make him feel full a little longer but that's not what his body needs.  He needs nutritious calories and those will come from his bottle.

this 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageelmoali:
    Trust your gut (and honestly, find a new pedi).  Their digestive tracts aren't mature enough for solids so the only time they should be given prior to 4-6 months is when the pros outweigh the cons, like when a child has reflux.  Rice cereal is an empty filler.  It might make him feel full a little longer but that's not what his body needs.  He needs nutritious calories and those will come from his bottle.

I agree with this.  Especially, find a new pediatrician!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Ditto the others..5 weeks is way too young to start cereal. If he's hungry, give him more formula..there's no harm in him drinking more! If he gets full, he'll stop drinking and/or spit up..
    Mommy of 3! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ummmmmm sounds like your pedi needs to find a new job.
  • I think finding a new pedi may be a little drastic. The cereal thing is more of an old school mentality so that's probably the issue. I would express your concern with your pedi before making that decision. I wouldn't do the cereal though. If he's hungry, I would just give him more formula like you've been doing. He's probably hitting a growth spurt of something and just wants some extra right now.

• I wouldn't.  I agree with everyone else, find a new pedi.

We need to thicken our daughters formula with rice cereal due to aspiration and laryngomalacia.  It sucks.  She was perfectly fine stomach-wise on breastmilk and we had to switch to formula with rice cereal and I feel like she poops a lot more and has WAY more gas.  You don't want to start them on cereal too early.  

Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • Just wanted to let you know that I'm in a VERY similar situation to yours and my LO is only 4 weeks old. I tried very hard exclusively nursing and he would scream to the point of barely being able to breathe after hour long nursing sessions. My pediatricians insisted that I supplement him with 2 ounces of formula after nursing sessions. After 2 ounces he?d still act hungry - it turns out that he?s ravenously guzzling 4 - 5 ounce bottles at a time now - every 3 hours on average.

I saw me peds the other day and expressed my concerns over how much LO is eating and he told me ?you can?t overfeed a newborn?. He told me to just give him as much formula as he wants and will keep down. He never said a thing about rice cereal.

So that?s what I?m sticking to for now.
  • Thanks ladies! I appreciate the input!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• imageg8trkim:
    I think finding a new pedi may be a little drastic. The cereal thing is more of an old school mentality so that's probably the issue. I would express your concern with your pedi before making that decision. I wouldn't do the cereal though. If he's hungry, I would just give him more formula like you've been doing. He's probably hitting a growth spurt of something and just wants some extra right now.

Old school advice is what you put up with from your mother and grandmother because they have no reason to know any better.  You want the person responsible for your child's care to know and understand the medical reason behind changes in thinking.  There are lots of things doctors didn't have to know, or felt different about, years ago.  The point is they need to stay current. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"