Babies: 0 - 3 Months

2 week old hasn't pooped in 48 hours

The ped said not to worry...I took her yesterday and she hasn't pooped since yesterday morning.  I'm going to call him tomorrow, but he said not to worry about it, to call after 48 hours...but, of course, I'm worried.

She's calm and sleeping, doesn't seem to be uncomfy and is having many wet diapers a day...she isn't vomiting and is taking her bottles normally.

Anyone else experience this? 

Re: 2 week old hasn't pooped in 48 hours

• My baby does not poop regularly and has gone a maximum of 5 days without pooping.  Sometimes he poops 3 times a day and sometimes goes 3 -5 days.  I was worried at first and called the doctor but she is not concerned.  She said that as long as he doesn't seem to be in discomfort and as long as he is eventually able to go on his own without my helping (like with a thermometer in his rectum), then there is no need for concern.  She said it is just his own pattern.  

I'm not used to this because my girls pooped all the time.  DS is eating great, growing well, and has plenty of wet diapers.   

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
  • Are you BF?  BF babies have less poopy diapers b/s their bodies absorb more nutrients and there's less waste.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're formula feeding, it could be constipation.  If you're breastfeeding, it could either be normal, or it might indicate problems with supply, but since there are plenty of pee diapers, I wouldn't worry.
    Married 11-8-08
    DS born 12-10-10
    DD born 11-5-12
    Boy/girl twins arrived 10-10-14!
  • imageKimbus22:
    Babies can go up to a week without pooping before there's any reason to be concerned (provided they are otherwise acting fine and normal).  DS was typically a 3 or 4 times a day pooper minimum but he had random times where he'd go 3 or 4 days with nothing and he was always fine.

This.  Our pedi told us this word for word on Wednesday.  LO finally had a poop yesterday--it had been 72 hours. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep. Dd is a once a week pooper. Maybe every 5 to 7 days. Whole she was in the NICU they had to give her suppositories every 48 hours but once she came home we only do it if it is approaching a full week and she seems uncomfortable. She is getting pretty good at going on her own, it is just very infrequent. Pedi is fine with it as long as the poops are soft and mushy.
  • I'm experiencing the same thing. For two days she wouldn't poop. Then on the third day she would have a huge poop. Her ped said not to worry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"