Toddlers: 24 Months+

People say the stupidest things

So DD and I were at Costco this morning. Now, I'm sure this woman was just trying to be nice, but I found her comments really irritating.  We were shopping for DD's cousins so we had some books in our cart when we went to get a sample from her station.  She commented to DD, wow, looks like your mommy is buying you lots of books.  I said, well they are Christmas presents for her cousins actually.  So she proceeds to say, "aw, you don't get ANYTHING".  I responded, of course she'll be getting Christmas presents at Christmas time too.  Jeez, am I supposed to feel guilty for not buying something for my child who just had a birthday party and is about to celebrate Christmas in a few weeks????  Later we passed by this lady again, and she kept on commenting, "I sure hope you're mommy buys you something nice, maybe a new doll."  I was seriously irritated. I mean I'm trying to teach my child some gratitude and that she doesn't ever ask for presents, etc. Am I the only one???
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: People say the stupidest things

• Sounds like she thought she was being funny, but she wasn't. Sometimes that's more annoying then when someone says something flat out rude. People are dumb, that is for sure! And some people just don't know how to converse with people too.
  • I have to be honest here, I don't see the issue.  She was just trying to be social and say something, if the books weren't for her....why bother elaborating?  Just be like "yeah, lots of books, tis' the season" and leave it at that?  Probably when you said they were gifts, she just didn't know what to say next and blurted out something. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejldittber:
    I have to be honest here, I don't see the issue.  She was just trying to be social and say something, if the books weren't for her....why bother elaborating?  Just be like "yeah, lots of books, tis' the season" and leave it at that?  Probably when you said they were gifts, she just didn't know what to say next and blurted out something. 

I see your point. But it make a similar comment a second time would have been a little much. Some people seem to think that you need to buy a child a 'little treat' every time you are out. My mom did that with me and regretted it. As I got older I expected to get something even when mom didn't take me with her and it wasn't a treat anymore. I was horribly spoiled and wasn't grateful for any of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I understand being upset by that...although I can see that she didn't mean anything bad by it probably the first time around, the second comment was definitely out of line. "Hopefully your mommy buys you something, maybe a new doll."....You have no idea what someone's financial situation is and to say something like that is just a lack of common sense. Why make a mother feel guilty if maybe she can't afford to buy her daughter something? And now you've just planted an idea into the child's mind like, "Yes, Mommy, can I get a new doll, please??!!" And you have to explain to your daughter why her cousins are getting something and she isn't after someone has made it clear to her that she SHOULD be getting something...it's just rude and unnecessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"