June 2011 Moms

Talking Issue

Anyone elses LO not really talking? She has Momma, Dadda, and Please (which come out like Plish) but no other words. She jabbers all day but I'm so scared that her vocab is so limited and not even putting words together like she should. I'm trying to have her repeat what I'm saying but she just looks and says Momma. Any thoughts? Thanks 

Re: Talking Issue

• i should also say that she understands everything I say/ask and knows all her body parts when i ask where they are. So I dont think its a hearing issue maybe because shes an only child and isnt imitating other kids? 
  • I think she's just not ready. The 2 yr old I babysit for didn't have 10 words by his 2nd birthday and had to sign up for EI. A month later (before he actually started early intervention) he started saying two full sentences.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD says more words than that but definitely isn't putting them together.  That she understands you is a good sign.  Language varies so much at this point (DD just says words and is 18 months and our neighbor has been speaking in sentences since like 12 months).  If you're worried give your pedi a call and see what they think.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD is 19 months and sounds a lot like your daughter. I'm glad you posted because I hadn't seen anything on here recently about language concerns and I was feeling like my child was the only one not saying a bajillion words.

My DD had excellent receptive language and "talks" all day long. Just doesnt have many words. She says mama, dada, Lola, kkk for milk, pu for up, muh muh for Mickey mouse and shh to quiet the dog, and no. She attempts cookie, cracker and a few other words but everything else is "guh".

I'm getting a little concerned but not overly, as I know kids all develop at different rates.

I'm going to a party saturday night and will see 2 friends who are speech language pathologists I'll pick their brains and share anything worthwhile.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are in the same boat as you. DD probably says 7 words. She jabbers all day and understand most everything we say. Although I'm a little concerned, I still think she is in the normal range- perhaps on the low end of normal, but still.

DD attends daycare 4 days a week, and her teachers (who have all worked there for years and years) says she is 100% fine. They predict that a language explosion is right around the corner. I hope they are right! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD sounds exactly like yours.  She says mama and duck, but only when prompted.  She completely understands everything we say, but just won't or can't repeat new words.  She is an only child and does not go to daycare.  I think in our situation, that has a lot to do with it.  She's just started mocking actions, so I'm hoping repeating words are next.  She was an early walker and is all over the place.  She babbles all day long.  Her 18 month check up is next Friday and I have a feeling the pedi will recommend speech therapy.  She was also born 11 weeks early, so it just may take her longer than most kids.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • .DS3 says Dada and "dat" (which I think means "that").  He understands when we speak, and can follow simple directions.  We are going for his 18 month visit next week and I'm going to ask for a referral to Early Intervention.  Even if he doesn't qualify for speech therapy it will give us an official base line so we can mark improvement (or lack there of).  I'd rather get the help now and hopefully it won't take him long to "catch up".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I'm in the same situation as you all.  I thought we were alone, so this is reassuring!

DD maybe has said 10 words total but each lasted a week and haven't been back since. Right now she doesn't have any.  I, too, am waiting for the "word explosion" everyone talks about.

We had her 18 month appt already and the doctor said to keep an eye on it.  If she still isn't speaking much in a couple months she said to come in and we'll talk with a speech therapist.  She isn't too concerned yet (especially since DD understands us so well), but doesn't want us to wait until the 2 year appt if there is still a problem.

I hope all of our LO's start talking soon! 

• Wow thanks everyone !!! I definitely feel better I'm not the only one, all I keep hearing is how their kids are singing songs and speaking like crazy (which is great!). Yeah DD was really advanced in the physical aspects (rolling, crawling, walking) so I guess she's just a late bloomer in the talking area. Its just alittle frustrating when she wants something and I cant figure it out. 

Klovesp95 let us know anything you hear from those pathologists ;-)

And thanks again! 

• imageHeather16578:

Wow thanks everyone !!! I definitely feel better I'm not the only one, all I keep hearing is how their kids are singing songs and speaking like crazy (which is great!). Yeah DD was really advanced in the physical aspects (rolling, crawling, walking) so I guess she's just a late bloomer in the talking area. Its just alittle frustrating when she wants something and I cant figure it out. 

Klovesp95 let us know anything you hear from those pathologists ;-)

And thanks again! 

Thanks for posting about this!  I was actually going to post about it awhile ago, but I was afraid we were the only ones and everyone would reply with "my LO says 50 words and speaks in sentences now." and I'd feel worse.

• We are in the same boat here. Dd says maybe 15 words and lots of babbling. At her 18 month check up pedi said she is fine and not to worry. But as pp's said posts about other kids talking and singing were making me nervous.
  • ok, now I read the "New things LO is doing" post and I'm depressed...
  • Ds doesn't say much. He babbles but doesn't have many real words and he'll say them once and they dissapear. He has an older sister who doesn't stop talking so I think that might be part of the problem. He understands a lot tho and follows directions.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We are in the same boat.  In the past 2 months we have had his hearing tested and visited with a SLP.  He passed both hearing tests - I knew he would since he can follow simple directions.  He passed the test the SLP gave him but only because he was in the upper part of the age range.  The test is scored 12-17 months and 18-23 months.  The day of the appointment he was 17 months 2 weeks, so of course he passed.  She did score the test using the 18-23 month range as well and using that he is considered to have a moderate to servere expressive language delay.  At that point he had no words - he used to say woof when he heard a dog but quit doing that.  The SLP suggested speech therapy.  She doesn't think he will be where he should be by age 2 if he doesn't get help now (50 words and 2 word phrases).

We were all ready to schedule our appt for ST but our insurance said they don't normally cover ST unless it is to restore normal function - like after a stroke.  We had to fax them a copy of the treatment plan and then they would decide if they would cover it.  They said it normally takes up to 30 days to review the plan and make a decision.  Today was day 28.  And of course our SLP is going OOT for the holidays on Wednesday until after the 1st of the year.

I have a feelling insurance is going to decide not to cover ST in which case we will start the EI process.  I try to keep a positive outlook through all this but it is hard hearing about all the other LOs talking so much.  It is also hard when I can't figure out what G wants and he gets upset and starts crying.  I am so glad to know we are not the only ones going through this though.  Good luck to everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"