March 2013 Moms

Formula for a Breastfed baby

Hi everyone!

I'm getting my registry done (sheesh ALMOST there) and I had a question... I'm planning on breastfeeding and having a pump but my husband suggested that we have some formula on hand "just in case." Any recommendations on the kind?  

Thanks!

Shelly 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Formula for a Breastfed baby

• If you are planning on BFing, I wouldn't add any formula to your registry.  If you want some to keep on hand, you will probably receive plenty of samples in the mail.  If you want to make sure, just sign up on the formula websites and you will probably get some before the baby is born. 

• You should wait until you have the baby.  If you open a can of formula it goes bad quickly.   Your hospital may also provide formula for you for free.  I would go with Similac or Enfamil if you do get formula. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • i reccomend similac sensitive. I breastfed DS and supplemented with the similac and that didn't upset his tummy like some of the others
    Alexander 03/13/2008 Jace 03/20/2013 

• I would wait. You really can't say what will be best for your baby at this point. You may find you need to use a sensitive formula, soy based, or something else for reflux or if things in your diet while BFing seem to disagree with LO.

If you really just want some recommendations, when I weened my daughter I ended up liking Similac Sensitive. If your going to buy it ahead though I would only buy a very small amount and go for something like the small premixed bottles or the powder. Once opened the premixed only keeps for I think 48 hours, so you wouldn't want a big bottle for just the occasional supplementing.

• Honestly, if you're really serious about BFing, I wouldn't have it in the house.  

At 4am when you're having a rough time with bfing it can be tempting to give the baby formula.  Now, that's not terrible (I'm all for keeping your baby fed and happy in whatever way), but you don't want to skip sessions in the beginning because baby is establishing your supply.  

I think it's great to plan ahead for most things, but I think that sometimes you're setting yourself up to give in if you know it's there.  (That being said, when we were d/c'd they gave us 4 ready to feed bottles and we never used them, so it's not a definite.  I'm just saying from what I've read and seen from friends.)

Baby will not starve from missing 1 or 2 feedings and your or DH can run out and get some the next day if you absolutely need it. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagelkm2006:

If you are planning on BFing, I wouldn't add any formula to your registry.  If you want some to keep on hand, you will probably receive plenty of samples in the mail.  If you want to make sure, just sign up on the formula websites and you will probably get some before the baby is born. 

This! In addition, you don't know what type baby will take. I was going to stockpile formula when I had DD this year, and I'm so glad I didn't bc she puked up the normal stuff. Turns out, she is on the one for LO's that spit up frequently. I would of never thunk it!  

• I would wait for samples and things. I got my gender ultrasound and have 3 small cans of "samples". They are fairly large cans so I don't see how it is a sample but whatever! I also was given the pre mixed kind. Which personally looks gross to me.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagesucrets4:

Honestly, if you're really serious about BFing, I wouldn't have it in the house.  

At 4am when you're having a rough time with bfing it can be tempting to give the baby formula.  Now, that's not terrible (I'm all for keeping your baby fed and happy in whatever way), but you don't want to skip sessions in the beginning because baby is establishing your supply.  

I think it's great to plan ahead for most things, but I think that sometimes you're setting yourself up to give in if you know it's there.  (That being said, when we were d/c'd they gave us 4 ready to feed bottles and we never used them, so it's not a definite.  I'm just saying from what I've read and seen from friends.)

Baby will not starve from missing 1 or 2 feedings and your or DH can run out and get some the next day if you absolutely need it. 

Ditto this exactly. Although some moms say they feel better knowing they have a back up if needed. But personally, I wouldn't buy anything now. Like others said, you'll get samples, the hospital might give you some and you don't know what your baby will need/like/want and formula is wicked expensive to just go and buy whatever. 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I wouldn't add it to  your registry. Like others said you will likely get it free from the hospital, you might get samples, etc. Plus it's easy enough to go out and buy if you really need it. If you stick it on your registry, you may have someone buying you a few canisters you never need or something.
  • I see no need for it.  If there is any type of emergency where you "need" formula you can always run out to the store.
  • I agree with Sucrets. Also, even if you decide to suppliment a little (we did) one or two sample cans will last you a while.  We supplimented a formula bottle a day most days and I didn't buy formula for a while after having him because of the two cans I got free in the mail from Enfamil.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"