November 2011 Moms

what's with all the santa hate?

I've seen on a few other boards (not this one) that some moms really don't like Santa.  They don't want their kids to believe in something that isn't real, they don't like making their kids sit on Santa's lap and almost imply that it's cruel to let your baby cry just for a picture.  I think it's a fun tradition.  I grew up with Santa, believing it in and still love the magic of Christmas so I want DD to have that same excitement.  When I found out Santa wasn't real, I didn't feel lied to or betrayed, and I don't know anyone who has ever said that.  Am I the only one who's sensing this?  What are your thoughts on Santa?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: what's with all the santa hate?

• Haters gonna hate yo. We love Santa around this house.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The Santa hate is ridiculous. The tradition is fun and when kids find out the truth (*gasp*) they are happy they had the Santa experience. When I found out about Santa (I found my presents), I pretended I still believed for another year or two so I could get more presents. I was such a brat, lol. 
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageEstwd2:
    Some people make a much bigger deal of it than it really is. I promise your kid won't be scarred for life if he cried on Santa's lap. He's not going to plot your murder because you told him Santa was real for a few years. Oh, and also, placing a goofy elf on the shelf will probably not result in a child who is incapable of responding to discipline the other 11 months of the year. Let's all relax, drink some spiked eggnog, jingle some damn bells, and get in the GD holiday spirit!

Yes

• To each their own. We don't do Santa because DH did not grow up with it. He also did not grow up with gifts given for  Christmas or birthdays. So we each gave a little. No Santa, but gifts are given.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • imageEstwd2:
    Some people make a much bigger deal of it than it really is. I promise your kid won't be scarred for life if he cried on Santa's lap. He's not going to plot your murder because you told him Santa was real for a few years. Oh, and also, placing a goofy elf on the shelf will probably not result in a child who is incapable of responding to discipline the other 11 months of the year. Let's all relax, drink some spiked eggnog, jingle some damn bells, and get in the GD holiday spirit!

Preach! ;-) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagedesine77:
    Haters gonna hate yo. We love Santa around this house.

Love this!  And to add fuel to the haters.. here ya go! 

• We had this discussion on the 24+ board a few weeks ago.  I don't feel like I'm lying to my kids and I don't feel guilty, I am making memories.  I was not damaged by the fact that Santa isn't real and I actually found out Santa wasn't real because we woke up on Christmas Day and we had no gifts!  My mom said "oops, Santa fell asleep". 

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • I think anyone who is "emotionally damaged" because their parents "lied" to them about Santa has some serious mental issues. We are doing Santa with DD because it is fun and magical and that is what childhood should be.

However, I grew up with Santa and it really wasn't a big deal. I never felt left out and I have always LOVED Christmas so it's not that big of a deal. The only people I have a problem with are the people who don't do Santa because they aren't over the fact that their parents lied to them about it.

• imageEstwd2:

LOL

I'm pretty sure we won't take the kids to see Santa this year.  Not because I think it's evil, but because I also don't think it's important.  People act like I'm committing a freaking crime

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevarkeyr:
    To each their own. We don't do Santa because DH did not grow up with it. He also did not grow up with gifts given for  Christmas or birthdays. So we each gave a little. No Santa, but gifts are given.

Santa issue aside-- No gifts, ever? That makes me very sad. Was it a money issue?

• nope no gifts and no it was not an issue with money. His family and where he grew up (in India) just puts the focus on the real reason for Christmas. They go to church and visit family. In fact it took him the longest time accepting gifts of any kind
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"