July 2013 Moms

Plus sized maternity clothing - vent

I am a big girl. Not ginormous, but 5'8" and 230 is pretty big. Luckily I am tall, so I carry it well, and I tend to lose weight during pg at least for the first two trimesters.

What I can't understand is where are all the nice maternity clothes for us plus sized ladies? "They" say that over 50% of the population is overweight, but why are there no clothes? Are we supposed to jiggle around naked in front of every one?

I am trying to find some decent office clothes for this time around. Last time I was pregnant (six years ago, same seasons) JCP had some great career blouses, not anymore. I like the vertical striped 3/4, short or long sleeved button down with collar, or solid colors. No horizonal stripes, now frou frou flowers and definitely NO clingy body hugging styles. Is this so hard to do? Even Motherhood has a crappy selection and my budget is limited. I'm looking on ebay and having some luck there, and plan on going to another town where there are a lot of thrift stores over the holiday break, but damn, it should not be this hard!

Okay, vent over. I know I am not the only one dealing with this...I wish I could just work in my comfy tees and yoga pants. No such luck :(

BabyFruit Ticker
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Plus sized maternity clothing - vent

• Old Navy is pretty decent, but the problem is most of their stores don't carry the plus sized line so you'll have to order it online.

Honestly this is why I picked up sewing. I started losing weight after my last loss and couldn't afford to buy new clothes every 20 pounds or so. Right now maxi dresses and maxi skirts are my savior, not to mention they allow for a growing tummy. Do you know someone who sews?

My Old Blog | My Chart | TTCAL Shenanigans
    ♥BFP #1 "Spawn"- 02/23/11 | EDD: 11/01/11 | natural m/c 03/20/11 @7w5d♥
    ♥BFP #2 "Offspring"- 11/10/12 | EDD: 07/25/13 | incomplete m/c 12/14/12 @8w1d | D&C 12/21/12♥
    ♥BFP #3 "Progeny" - 02/16/15 | It's a BOY!! | EDD: 10/17/15 | BD: 10/23/15
    All AL Always Welcome

• The Motherhood has some 1X, 2X etc. I've found them to be somewhat decent.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I have almost the exact same stat line, and I had some good luck with Kohl's. I'm in an office environment as well. I realize this is too late now, but there was a fantastic Black Friday sale on their maternity clothes. So you might try there. I was really into the exact tops you were talking about (and JCP had some great ones a while back), but I kind of veered into non-button down tops.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck!

imageView Full Size Image

• I sew, but not clothes. Just don't have time with a full time job and four kids! This will be my last pregnancy, so I don't want to spend a lot. I do get some stuff from Old Navy, but it's not a true "plus size", it's XXL, so usually still very clingy and nothing that's officey enough.

Oh well, I'll make do. Thanks for the advice though!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageilovemyducks21:

I have almost the exact same stat line, and I had some good luck with Kohl's. I'm in an office environment as well. I realize this is too late now, but there was a fantastic Black Friday sale on their maternity clothes. So you might try there. I was really into the exact tops you were talking about (and JCP had some great ones a while back), but I kind of veered into non-button down tops.

Thanks due date buddy. I did pick up some pants there that I hope will work out. In my last office we were so casual, I wore jeans every day and only had to dress up once a month. Now I only get to wear jeans once a week! Too bad, I have six pairs! I will keep an eye out on their online selection, their in store selection for Plus is crap :(

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageerineliza311:

I sew, but not clothes. Just don't have time with a full time job and four kids! This will be my last pregnancy, so I don't want to spend a lot. I do get some stuff from Old Navy, but it's not a true "plus size", it's XXL, so usually still very clingy and nothing that's officey enough.

Oh well, I'll make do. Thanks for the advice though!

Go on Pinterest and search for Easy DIY maxi skirt. I found a tutorial where you literally sew only 2 seams and took me about 10 minutes per skirt. Only cost me about $6 per skirt because I had a coupon for fabric.

My Old Blog | My Chart | TTCAL Shenanigans
    ♥BFP #1 "Spawn"- 02/23/11 | EDD: 11/01/11 | natural m/c 03/20/11 @7w5d♥
    ♥BFP #2 "Offspring"- 11/10/12 | EDD: 07/25/13 | incomplete m/c 12/14/12 @8w1d | D&C 12/21/12♥
    ♥BFP #3 "Progeny" - 02/16/15 | It's a BOY!! | EDD: 10/17/15 | BD: 10/23/15
    All AL Always Welcome

• imageerineliza311:
    imageilovemyducks21:

I have almost the exact same stat line, and I had some good luck with Kohl's. I'm in an office environment as well. I realize this is too late now, but there was a fantastic Black Friday sale on their maternity clothes. So you might try there. I was really into the exact tops you were talking about (and JCP had some great ones a while back), but I kind of veered into non-button down tops.

Thanks due date buddy. I did pick up some pants there that I hope will work out. In my last office we were so casual, I wore jeans every day and only had to dress up once a month. Now I only get to wear jeans once a week! Too bad, I have six pairs! I will keep an eye out on their online selection, their in store selection for Plus is crap :(

Ah, I never even looked in-store. Online they definitely have plus size. I got a couple pairs of work pants and a couple pairs of jeans, and they are doing well so far. I also got the following tops and liked them:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-946080/oh-baby-by-motherhood-surplice-ruched-tee-maternity.jsp

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1218556/oh-baby-by-motherhood-mock-layer-top-maternity.jsp

Oh bummer, my two favorite tops aren't there anymore. But it does look like some sort of sale is going on. Either way, good luck!

imageView Full Size Image

• I just want to agree with the fact that office wear is much different than a lot of maternity options I see. I am always wondering who exactly wears leggings to their job? Leggings are actually banned at my workplace!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm plus sized too and have been wondering this well. Would buying regular plus size clothes for tops work? If you can find the stretchy types of blouses, you might be able to wear them longer. Or go a size up? I know skirts with elastic waist lines have been working well for me. So far, the hardest thing has been pants and jeans.

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

• Have you tried target maternity? I am in the same boat but I need scrubs and they have no give ugh
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi!  July 2012 mommy here so I just wanted to chip in: I'm about 1 inch shorter and 10lbs heavier than you and I really loved Old Navy's clothes.  I kept ordering XXL maternity clothes from them but most were too big!  If you go that way, just make sure once you try something on, you put it back in the plastic bag it came in--you'll thank me for this later!  I also like Motherhood's clothes and Target plus size maxi dresses.  Good luck!!
    Anniversary Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my fourth pregnancy and Gap has always been my go to marernity store, jcp/old navy/kohls have always fallen apart too fast ... Gap has help up the best ... I have also got flowy shirts in the next size up and had luck from Norstoms rack, etc!! Good luck!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"