Natural Birth

very large baby

I am getting very nervous about my hopefully natural birth. Baby's abdomen has been measuring 3 weeks ahead for this whole pregnancy. Everything else measures normal, but he/she has a belly in the 98%. They are already estimating 8lb 11oz and I've still got 10 days until my due date and no signs of progression!

Any encouragement?? Experience?

1 Baby Girl 12/28/12 
#2 due 11/28/14
2 Angel Babies 9/11, 2/12

Re: very large baby

• Late term u/s measurements are almost always inaccurate. Try to put the numbers out of your head and get excited about meeting your baby. Even if LO is big, your body can handle it. You were made for this. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Estimates are often wrong. The head is the biggest part of baby, not the abdomen. They are squishy so they fit. Your pelvis stretches so baby will fit. It will be fine - don't let the u/s scare you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks to check her position that said DD was already 8 1/2 lbs. She was born at 39 weeks 2 days and she weighed 8lbs 7oz. Late term ultrasounds are notoriously off so I really wouldn't worry about having a large baby. Even if your baby is on the bigger side, you can handle it! (Fat squishes easier than bone!)
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • U/S weights can be very wrong. My friend was pressured into have a C-section 2 weeks before her EDD because her doctor thought she was having a 9 pound baby. He was only 7 pounds. 

My aunt delivered an 11 pound 11 oz baby vaginally, and labor only lasted about 2 hours.  

• You'll be fine!

I had an 8lbs 13oz baby with no meds, trouble, or complications. In reality it's not as big as doctors make it sound. Plus a lot of times ultrasounds and measurements are way off. They were guessing my LO would be 10+ pounds if I went full term and at 38 weeks I was measuring 42 weeks. 

Big babies often fit even though we're nervous about it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My goddaughter was 9lbs 13oz was delivered naturally. Can be done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been having irrational fears that I am growing a 15 pound baby and mentioned my worries to my midwife yesterday.  She laughed at me (in a nice way) and said that, despite all the OB-induced hype, it is really, REALLY rare for your body to grow a baby that it can't birth.  
  • imageAmyRI:
    Estimates are often wrong. The head is the biggest part of baby, not the abdomen. They are squishy so they fit. Your pelvis stretches so baby will fit. It will be fine - don't let the u/s scare you!

Yep.

Just keep reminding yourself that your body will grow the baby that is right for you.  Trust in the process :)  

And oh yeah, as far as U/S estimates go... my good friend had her baby about a year and a half ago now.  Doctor did a scheduled C/S at 39 weeks because baby was already 10+lbs according to U/S measurements and "too big to fit".  She came out with a scar on her uterus and an 8lb 2oz baby.  :(

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • My VBAC baby was 10lb, 10oz and just under 24". I had a straightforward vaginal birth, with just a second degree tear. Try not to panic, and I would refuse anymore u/s if they aren't necessary. I went into labor with both my kids past 41 weeks, too. hth and good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I had my third without any pain meds and he weighed 10lbs! You can do it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My second was 10 lbs 10 oz, my labor 12 hours, and I didn't tear at all.  

Try not to stress about it.  Your body will grow the right sized baby for you. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I remember when we did an u/s on DS at like 34 weeks or so, because I had been measuring behind for several weeks. The u/s tech kept trying to get a head measurement and I watched in horror as the screen kept displaying measurements for a full term baby's head. But when I gave birth, though his head was large, it was not impossible. I still had a vaginal birth.

Also, a friend of mine - his ex-wife had been told she needed a c/s for their "too large" baby. Their daughter was born weighing just under 5lbs. I know it's just anecdotal, but still.

• I birthed a 9 lb 3 oz baby naturally after pushing for 15 minutes. She was estimated in the 95% all pregnancy, they even talked to me about inducing early because she was so big. I declined and went to 41+1 (they had estimated her at 9.5 lbs at 40 weeks). I really don't understand all the hype about "big" babies! Unless the head is abnormally large all that "big" is squishy fat, and that's not the part you'll have to worry about. I know women who pushed for 2 hours with 6 lb babies! Don't let them freak you out, your body made this baby, your body will be able to push it out!
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"